The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Does anyone know about medical science(exeter)?

Hi,
I'd like to study medical science.
How many students in this course (the first year)?
I received the message from webside: If you are in the top 10% at the end of the first year, you are invited to apply to transfer to medicine. Is it true?

I'd like to know more about the course and the campus life,Please share with me.
Reply 1
hi there! i think im in a same situation as you too! i've got a conditional offer from Exeter Medical Science, but is not sure about whether or not to firm it...

Original post by akuei
Hi,
I received the message from webside: If you are in the top 10% at the end of the first year, you are invited to apply to transfer to medicine. Is it true?

I'd like to know more about the course and the campus life,Please share with me.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
There's about uhh, 150 on the course (first yr), its a big increase from 2nd yrs/3rd yrs. And really anyone can apply for transfer but only those the top 10% of those who applied are considered/invited to interview. What do you want to know about the campuses? :smile:
Reply 3
which hall is the nearest to the buildings where most lectures take place?
also do you consider this course as fairly competitiv3?
Original post by fspenc
which hall is the nearest to the buildings where most lectures take place?
also do you consider this course as fairly competitiv3?

Lectures are split between two campuses-Streatham and St Lukes. Rowancroft is ideal for St Lukes, and theres loads of choice actually on Streatham....i'd recommend something more towards the south east of Streatham so you are sort of in the middle between both. St James' halls are actually in town between both campuses if you want something right in the middle.

I graduated from the Medical Science degree last year...also happy to answer any questions you guys might have.
Original post by akuei
Hi,

Oh turns out you have some actual questions. sorry about spam posting :smile:

1) 10% are invited for interview, and they chose up to 7 to transfer iirc. When I had it, way more than 10% got offered an interview.
2) Campus life...I love both campuses personally, but go visit them as I would definitely have prefered to see both beforehand (I did, and I made part of my choice based on that). I think there is usually reasonable space to study, options for food on campus, etc etc. Let me know if you have more specific q's.
3) Course wise....at the med school you do course on human disease throughout your three years, as well as a "scientific communications" course (basically, how to write science essays good). You do a few "basic" modules in genetics, biochem, cell biology and microbiology in first year, get to choose a few more in second and third years, but there are more options now at the med school for second/third year which I'd probably chose over them.
Hi,

I'm starting at Exeter next year as I have deferred my place. I was looking at the reading list provided by the medical school and I wondered whether I should be saving money to buy any in my first term or if I don't need to buy any. Could you help with this?

The reading list includes these books: Molecular Biology of the Cell (6th edition), Medical Sciences, (2nd edition),Human Physiology: From Cells to Systems (9th edition), Physiology (6th edition) and The Study Skills Handbook (4th edition).

Original post by QuentinM
Oh turns out you have some actual questions. sorry about spam posting :smile:

1) 10% are invited for interview, and they chose up to 7 to transfer iirc. When I had it, way more than 10% got offered an interview.
2) Campus life...I love both campuses personally, but go visit them as I would definitely have prefered to see both beforehand (I did, and I made part of my choice based on that). I think there is usually reasonable space to study, options for food on campus, etc etc. Let me know if you have more specific q's.
3) Course wise....at the med school you do course on human disease throughout your three years, as well as a "scientific communications" course (basically, how to write science essays good). You do a few "basic" modules in genetics, biochem, cell biology and microbiology in first year, get to choose a few more in second and third years, but there are more options now at the med school for second/third year which I'd probably chose over them.
Original post by Georgia3198
Hi,

I'm starting at Exeter next year as I have deferred my place. I was looking at the reading list provided by the medical school and I wondered whether I should be saving money to buy any in my first term or if I don't need to buy any. Could you help with this?

The reading list includes these books: Molecular Biology of the Cell (6th edition), Medical Sciences, (2nd edition),Human Physiology: From Cells to Systems (9th edition), Physiology (6th edition) and The Study Skills Handbook (4th edition).

Buy if you want but you could probably just get copies from the library. In order of most-least recommended, if you were thinking of buying:
1) Human Physiology-from cells to systems
2) Molecular Biology of the cell
3) Physiology
4) Medical Sciences

Also don't buy the most recent editions. They are more expensive and usually have so few changes from the last few you won't suffer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending