The Student Room Group

Do you suffer from hay fever?

Poll

Do you suffer from hay fever?

Its that time of year again and hay fever is in full swing :frown: Do you suffer from it? How do you personally deal with it?

I don't suffer from it personally but everyone in my close family and partner seems to have it :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I used to. And suddenly it just stopped.
I generally used to take hay-fever tablets from Mid-March to deal with it. Otherwise, my eyes were constantly watering, red and itching and I was always sneezing.
Original post by Spock's Socks
Its that time of year again and hay fever is in full swing :frown: Do you suffer from it? How do you personally deal with it?

I don't suffer from it personally but everyone in my close family and partner seems to have it :frown:

I've had hayfever for about 8 years, OTC antihistamines used to work for me but since i've hit my 20s they've worked less and less so that benadryl (which is £8 for just 8 days supply although i can stretch it out longer than that) was the only one that was working. So now I'm trying out fexofenadine and an avamys spray which i got a private prescription for a couple of weeks ago, fortunately they seem to be working and i m keeping my asthma under control which if it wasnt the pollen could be effecting it (i have quite the full medicines drawer).
Josh has hayfever too, he takes otc antihistamines every day to be safe with his autoimmune condition anyway and doesnt have any other trouble with it.

I wish I was a seasonal sufferer, i get it all year round.

I get prescribed 200mg loratadine tabs. For perspective, OTC loratadine is 5-10mg.
Original post by iainvg
I wish I was a seasonal sufferer, i get it all year round.

I get prescribed 200mg loratadine tabs. For perspective, OTC loratadine is 5-10mg.

Doesn't that make you quite drowsy? If you dont mind me asking why loratadine and not a pom antihistamine?
Started suffering last yr, its terrible and happens during exams too

Original post by ForestShadow
Started suffering last yr, its terrible and happens during exams too

getting it during exams is so annoying
Original post by claireestelle
getting it during exams is so annoying

everyone looks at you too cos the exam hall is quite af, I lose what little train I though I have instantly and its just not good :moon:
I don't have hayfever.

But I heard it's more common in boys than girls... IDK if that's true.
Original post by ForestShadow
everyone looks at you too cos the exam hall is quite af, I lose what little train I though I have instantly and its just not good :moon:

The sneezing always comes at the most inconvenient times
Original post by claireestelle
The sneezing always comes at the most inconvenient times

I can suppress my sneezes by closing my mouth and airways when I sneeze so it sounds more like a soft cough, its harmful in 1/1000000 times tho

I do. But every summer it either comes or doesn't. Last summer I didn't suffer from it, but I'm already sneezing mad now. I've started taking my tablets for it now, so by the time summer comes, it won't be as bad, as the tablets will be in my system. So I can still go out considering that pollen would be flying everywhere, and not itch my eye or sneeze literally every second.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mine kicked in age 21 :moon:

I was sceptical but a family member recommended http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/lloydspharmacy-allergy-reliever to me and it definitely helps to bring my symptoms down to a level where OTC medicines work...especially the itchy eyes (I can deal with sneezing/snot most of the time but the eyes drive me nuts).

The new Acrivastine benedryl OTC tablets are a wonder too (loratadine is my backup - the other one ceritiwhotsit does nothing for me)....plus some piriton at night particularly camping and similar where it can stop me sleeping.
I have it , had it since I was 14ish :yep:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lychee627
I have it , had it since I was 14ish :yep:
@tasha_tah wbu?

yeahh i doo n its sooo annoying :colonhash: idk since what ageeee :lol:
It's STARTING! EYES ARE WATERY AND MY NOSE IS STARTING TO BEGIN THAT INCURABLE ITCHING FEELING :frown:
Original post by PQ
Mine kicked in age 21 :moon:

I was sceptical but a family member recommended http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/lloydspharmacy-allergy-reliever to me and it definitely helps to bring my symptoms down to a level where OTC medicines work...especially the itchy eyes (I can deal with sneezing/snot most of the time but the eyes drive me nuts).

The new Acrivastine benedryl OTC tablets are a wonder too (loratadine is my backup - the other one ceritiwhotsit does nothing for me)....plus some piriton at night particularly camping and similar where it can stop me sleeping.

my eye symptoms are the one thing i can treat with otc treatments, although the eyes drops are pom in bigger bottles anyway.The day acrivastines patent expires so that there can be a generic version will be a great day for allergy sufferers:P
Original post by tasha_tah
yeahh i doo n its sooo annoying :colonhash: idk since what ageeee :lol:

Say i start sneezing in the shower , i do like another 25 sneezes lmaoo and my eyes go all watery and itchy nose lool :rofl:
I take antihistamines everyday and so now I hardly get it unless I stop taking the antihistamine
Original post by Lychee627
Say i start sneezing in the shower , i do like another 25 sneezes lmaoo and my eyes go all watery and itchy nose lool :rofl:

ikk omgg i hate that feeling :lol:
25 sneezes :toofunny:
do you ever take hayfever tabletsss? :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest