The Student Room Group

Best unis for criminology?

Anyone taking criminology at uni / know of anywhere good to do this course ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rebeccael28

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are a few people on here so have a look.

Have a good look at course structures for each uni that offers the course and think about what modules are available, how they're taught and assessed, how flexible the courses are, what research/work opportunities are available, what industry links are there, where grads end up and then things like finance and the city.
Reply 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there, I'm in the final year of a Criminology degree at London South Bank university. The university is not that great but the specific course is quite good. I don't know about other unis, but I think different unis have different approaches to the subject.

If you have any other questions about the subject let me know :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there!

I'm not sure if you've had a look at Bradford but we have a few Criminology and Sociology courses. We have an optional placement year for some courses, so definitely worth considering if you're after some experience :smile:

Emma
That's great thanks, what grades do you require? I'm doing Law and Business Studies A level and Health and Social Care BTEC level 3 National

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a 1st year sociology student at Essex University (Colchester Canpus) and I'm taking a criminology module. The module choices are really flexible here, so in your first year, if you choose the Criminology degree, you could choose the main criminology module like I'm doing, and then pick a media module or a french/Spanish module too if you wanted, there's so many choices. Or you could also do a joint Criminology course like Criminology and Social Psychology, Sociology, History or American Studies.

You can also choose to do a 4 year course with placement or study abroad (depending on the course) and there are no tuition fees for this year

For first year, there is one Criminology module but you get more in 2nd year. I love the module so much. The lecturers are so dedicated and they're clearly passionate about what they're teaching. They explain things so well. I only wish the lectures are a little bit longer sometimes because at times, the lecturers need to rush to cover the whole content within 50 mins.

Every week, you get 1 lecture and 1 class. In the classes, you discuss the weekly reading and the topic that was covered in the lecture that week. At the start of autumn term, you need to buy the module reader which has all the readings for the autumn and spring term so you don't have to run around looking for the readings in the library. I think it was about £16 when I bought it.

Both my lecturers and my class tutor are so open, you can ask them anything, just drop them an email or come by during their office hours and they'll help you. They encourage to think criminologically and apply your knowledge. I feel confident to take upon my Criminology exams next month because of them. The course has such high satisfaction rates, something like 94-98%. All the courses at Essex are highly rated because the standard of teaching is so high.

Oh and the library is so good! There's about a million books there and there's one whole side dedicated for sociology books, btw, even if you choose to study Criminology, there's compulsory Sociology modules you need to take too. There's also loads of Criminology books too on the other side of the sociology floor. And we also have a paternoster in the library (look it up). Apparently its one of 4 in the country.

I looked at the entry requirements at they want BBB for the BA Criminology and with BTEC, the standard requirement is at Distinction level grades. But in clearing, they can be really flexible with grades. Like I got into an ABB course with ACD.

Essex isn't the highest in the league tables, but it is something special. I think the university overall is so underrated.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by undine_monty
I'm a 1st year sociology student at Essex University (Colchester Canpus) and I'm taking a criminology module. The module choices are really flexible here, so in your first year, if you choose the Criminology degree, you could choose the main criminology module like I'm doing, and then pick a media module or a french/Spanish module too if you wanted, there's so many choices. Or you could also do a joint Criminology course like Criminology and Social Psychology, Sociology, History or American Studies.

You can also choose to do a 4 year course with placement or study abroad (depending on the course) and there are no tuition fees for this year

For first year, there is one Criminology module but you get more in 2nd year. I love the module so much. The lecturers are so dedicated and they're clearly passionate about what they're teaching. They explain things so well. I only wish the lectures are a little bit longer sometimes because at times, the lecturers need to rush to cover the whole content within 50 mins.

Every week, you get 1 lecture and 1 class. In the classes, you discuss the weekly reading and the topic that was covered in the lecture that week. At the start of autumn term, you need to buy the module reader which has all the readings for the autumn and spring term so you don't have to run around looking for the readings in the library. I think it was about £16 when I bought it.

Both my lecturers and my class tutor are so open, you can ask them anything, just drop them an email or come by during their office hours and they'll help you. They encourage to think criminologically and apply your knowledge. I feel confident to take upon my Criminology exams next month because of them. The course has such high satisfaction rates, something like 94-98%. All the courses at Essex are highly rated because the standard of teaching is so high.

Oh and the library is so good! There's about a million books there and there's one whole side dedicated for sociology books, btw, even if you choose to study Criminology, there's compulsory Sociology modules you need to take too. There's also loads of Criminology books too on the other side of the sociology floor. And we also have a paternoster in the library (look it up). Apparently its one of 4 in the country.

I looked at the entry requirements at they want BBB for the BA Criminology and with BTEC, the standard requirement is at Distinction level grades. But in clearing, they can be really flexible with grades. Like I got into an ABB course with ACD.

Essex isn't the highest in the league tables, but it is something special. I think the university overall is so underrated.

What's the exam : coursework ratio?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's the exam : coursework ratio?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know that the criminology modules for 1st and 2nd year are 50% coursework and 50% exam. The coursework for this year was 2 2,500 word essays. But before you start the proper essay, you do this practise one which is 1000 words that gets marked by your tutor and they give you tips on what you need to work on for the proper essays. I found that really helpful. They say it's not compulsory but you have to do it.

The coursework is submitted online. If you miss the deadline, you get 0%, there's no 40% cap like at other unis. This is unless you have extenuating circumstances like a death in the family or something.
Original post by undine_monty
I know that the criminology modules for 1st and 2nd year are 50% coursework and 50% exam. The coursework for this year was 2 2,500 word essays. But before you start the proper essay, you do this practise one which is 1000 words that gets marked by your tutor and they give you tips on what you need to work on for the proper essays. I found that really helpful. They say it's not compulsory but you have to do it.

The coursework is submitted online. If you miss the deadline, you get 0%, there's no 40% cap like at other unis. This is unless you have extenuating circumstances like a death in the family or something.

Fab thanks, what sort of topics do you cover in your modules? Also how long are your lectures ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fab thanks, what sort of topics do you cover in your modules? Also how long are your lectures ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

IMG_2585.jpg Lectures are 50 mins long. They end 10 mins before the hour so people have time to make their way to their other lectures or classes. The majority of your lectures will most likely be in the lecture theatre building but you could also have some at the business school or at the Ivor Crewe lecture hall.

The business school is so nice. Its like stepping into a safari type place or a zoo or some place like Hawaii. It doesn't feel like you're in Essex when you're in there 😄. The lecture halls are nicer than the ones at the lecture theatre building too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending