The Student Room Group

Driving test in 4 days - don't feel ready!

Hey guys, so basically i've had 40 hours of lessons with no private practice.

My test is on the 22nd and up until today, I thought maybe I had a chance of passing, but today's lesson was terrible and now my confidence is knocked :frown:

I stalled twice, hit the curb once and my instructor had to use his dual controls. I brought my test forward from its original date, as it was too long a wait, and now I keep having doubts that i've wasted £60 :frown:

Anyone else had this experience? And do you ever feel ready?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was convinced I was going to fail my test on the way to the test centre I stalled twice at a roundabout and got peeped at for cutting in front of someone. But when you get into the car for your test you just seem to focus and, for me anyway, I didn't feel nervous anymore. My examiner was so nice and I made loads of small mistakes out on the road but I passed with only one minor. The driving examiner is not there to pick up on every mistake you make, just the ones which could be dangerous

You could just be having a bad day driving don't let it get you down, I'm sure you'll do great!!
Goodluck - the best advise I can give is to be calm and positive, don't go in thinking you aren't ready, you will not know until you try. I failed 3 tests and I was devastated after each time, but on the last test I was much calmer and more focused and happy I passed on my 4th attempt as I feel I am a better driver now. Just stay clam and focused and you'll be ok :smile:
Original post by zh45

My test is on the 22nd and up until today, I thought maybe I had a chance of passing, but today's lesson was terrible and now my confidence is knocked :frown:

I stalled twice, hit the curb once and my instructor had to use his dual controls. I brought my test forward from its original date, as it was too long a wait, and now I keep having doubts that i've wasted £60 :frown:

If it's any consolation, I hit the kerb in the hour before my test, and my instructor also used his dual controls, but I passed my test an hour later.
There always going to be bad lessons so I wouldn't worry too much about it, but if you're really not feeling ready then I'd say you should push it back.
Reply 4
Original post by E102
I was convinced I was going to fail my test on the way to the test centre I stalled twice at a roundabout and got peeped at for cutting in front of someone. But when you get into the car for your test you just seem to focus and, for me anyway, I didn't feel nervous anymore. My examiner was so nice and I made loads of small mistakes out on the road but I passed with only one minor. The driving examiner is not there to pick up on every mistake you make, just the ones which could be dangerous

You could just be having a bad day driving don't let it get you down, I'm sure you'll do great!!

That makes me feel so much better, thank you! :h:
Reply 5
Original post by theshortgiraffe
Goodluck - the best advise I can give is to be calm and positive, don't go in thinking you aren't ready, you will not know until you try. I failed 3 tests and I was devastated after each time, but on the last test I was much calmer and more focused and happy I passed on my 4th attempt as I feel I am a better driver now. Just stay clam and focused and you'll be ok :smile:

I'll keep that in mind, thank you :smile:
just waste time at the traffic lights or at a busy road :smile:
Original post by zh45

Reply 7
Original post by cherryred90s
If it's any consolation, I hit the kerb in the hour before my test, and my instructor also used his dual controls, but I passed my test an hour later.
There always going to be bad lessons so I wouldn't worry too much about it, but if you're really not feeling ready then I'd say you should push it back.

Unfortunately I can't change my test now without losing my fee, because the test is only 4 days away, which sucks :frown:
But thank you, I feel more confident now :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by sadsadsadsad

And take my time during the manoeuvre to waste time :tongue:
Original post by zh45
And take my time during the manoeuvre to waste time :tongue:

Yes take your time with your manouvere, but do not waste time at traffic lights and busy roads as someone suggested, because you could easily rack up minors for undue hesitation and too many of those will result in a fail
Reply 10
Yes take your time with your manouvere, but do not waste time at traffic lights and busy roads as someone suggested, because you could easily rack up minors for undue hesitation and too many of those will result in a fail

How can you be marked down for hesitation at a traffic light? Thanks for the advice :smile:
Original post by zh45
How can you be marked down for hesitation at a traffic light? Thanks for the advice :smile:

If the traffic light is green, and the road is clear then you should proceed, otherwise you may get a minor for hesitation. If there are drivers behind you and you hold them up for no reason, you'd likely fail.
Basically, drive at the speed limit and ensure you make progress when it is safe to do so. I got 3 minors for driving too slowly, 1 more and I probably would have failed
Reply 12
If the traffic light is green, and the road is clear then you should proceed, otherwise you may get a minor for hesitation. If there are drivers behind you and you hold them up for no reason, you'd likely fail.
Basically, drive at the speed limit and ensure you make progress when it is safe to do so. I got 3 minors for driving too slowly, 1 more and I probably would have failed

Ohh that's what you meant haha, but yeah that's an obvious no no lol. Thanks for the help!
Original post by sadsadsadsad

It's a fixed route....wasting time has NO effect whatsoever. I cannot believe how often things like this are suggested.
Just drive. Don't try to give the examiner what you think they want. They want to see that you can drive. Concentrate on the road ahead and just drive. As for the recent bad drive? Bad dress rehearsal, good performance. It's nerves - don't worry about it. Just drive.

Do you get the point? JUST DRIVE!
Reply 15
Original post by Emma-Ashley
Just drive. Don't try to give the examiner what you think they want. They want to see that you can drive. Concentrate on the road ahead and just drive. As for the recent bad drive? Bad dress rehearsal, good performance. It's nerves - don't worry about it. Just drive.

Do you get the point? JUST DRIVE!

You're right, just a bad dress rehearsal haha. Thanks, definitely feeling more calm about it now! 😊
Original post by zh45

You'll be fine! As long as you can drive within the examiners expectations then I have no doubt you'll pass! The examiner is not looking for perfect driving, and is only looking if you can complete driving independently.

Driving instructors do tend to make your driving test look harder than it is, but the test itself is easy if you just keep your nerves to a minimum.

Good luck for the test! :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by RoyalSheepy
You'll be fine! As long as you can drive within the examiners expectations then I have no doubt you'll pass! The examiner is not looking for perfect driving, and is only looking if you can complete driving independently.

Driving instructors do tend to make your driving test look harder than it is, but the test itself is easy if you just keep your nerves to a minimum.

Good luck for the test! :smile:

Thank you so much 😊 Unfortunately I failed :/ ahhh better luck next time
Sorry to hear you failed! I took my first test when only having 34 hours of driving lessons. I wasn't ready. Failed. Failed the second time even though I felt ready, because I messed up my manoeuvre. Hoping to be third time lucky :P you will be better prepared and more confident next time around, just make sure you get a bit more practice in :smile:
Original post by zh45
Thank you so much 😊 Unfortunately I failed :/ ahhh better luck next time

Aw no :frown:! What did you fail on?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending