The Student Room Group

I called in sick to my first day of work - how do I come back from this?

Straight off the bat I was genuinely sick - I followed company policy and set period of time before my shift - told some lady I was sick and overheard her saying to someone else "We need to watch this one". I felt bamboozled and started to stutter so it sounds like I'm lying which I'm not!

She then said "That's not good enough" and I said "I know, i'm annoyed because it's my first shift." She also spoke to me quite rudely which I understand because I missed my first shift, but she shouldn't make me feel super guilty.

This has made it so uncomfortable for me to head back to the company now, even though it was one person. I feel as if this lady is going to start spreading false rumours that I lied, I don't know.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do on my first offical day back?
Reply 1
This was a phone convo.
Original post by Anonymous
Straight off the bat I was genuinely sick - I followed company policy and set period of time before my shift - told some lady I was sick and overheard her saying to someone else "We need to watch this one". I felt bamboozled and started to stutter so it sounds like I'm lying which I'm not!

She then said "That's not good enough" and I said "I know, i'm annoyed because it's my first shift." She also spoke to me quite rudely which I understand because I missed my first shift, but she shouldn't make me feel super guilty.

This has made it so uncomfortable for me to head back to the company now, even though it was one person. I feel as if this lady is going to start spreading false rumours that I lied, I don't know.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do on my first offical day back?

Go to your Manager and explain the situation and also tell her about how rude the women spoke. If you just walk into work and do nothing it will only make matters worse.
Reply 3
Original post by WaqarAliShabir
Go to your Manager and explain the situation and also tell her about how rude the women spoke. If you just walk into work and do nothing it will only make matters worse.

Thanks for responding :smile:

I will go the manager but I'm afraid that if I complain, then I will get a bad reputation and get fired or something. My manager told me how they were all a tight-knit family and so me, as an outsider, will feel quite intimidated about the whole situation.

I'll probably explain my situation and talk about the person on the phone

I will go the manager but I'm afraid that if I complain, then I will get a bad reputation and get fired or something. My manager told me how they were all a tight-knit family and so me, as an outsider, will feel quite intimidated about the whole situation.

Speak to the manager tell them you were actually sick, if they are still rude then it doesn't sound a good place to work
If you were genuinely too sick to work, it could've been your first or hundredth shift, the same rules apply. If this lady's being rude over that then it's her problem, not your own. If this lady carries on being rude then tell their superior you've an issue - this isn't the playground, there is no 'grassing' - if they're being unprofessional, the people above them on the pecking order have a right to know. Hell, everyone does.
Reply 6
Original post by Rock Fan
Speak to the manager tell them you were actually sick, if they are still rude then it doesn't sound a good place to work

I will do :smile:

The people who I was introduced to at the start were very nice, but I feel like some people there could be profiling me - I'm not sure if this is a possible reason but from the looks of it, I'm the only person of colour in the store - and a lot of people work there.

Its probably best that I don't overthink it
I'd ignore the woman if I were you, she's just annoyed you didn't come in so there was more work for everyone else to do, even though you were genuinely sick. But if she keeps being rude, I'd speak to someone higher up - no one deserves to be treated like that.
It's hardly an ideal start. The only way you can come back from this will be to be utterly reliable - on time (ideally early), no more sick leave (and certainly not regular sick leave), until they have forgotten about your unfortunate first day. That won't take long if you impress.

But there is nothing more annoying for employers and colleagues than unreliability, so wipe that impression as quickly as you can.

I wouldn't suggest you do anything re the person's comment. It was off the cuff, and it won't be helpful to future relations if you start work by deciding you've got a feud going on.

Don't complain!!!

You've made a terrible first impression (sorry but it's true, unless you were literally dying and unable to get out of bed/leave the toilet you should have been at work for at least as long as it took for them to send you home). If you complain and cause trouble you will look like A. you are a problem employee as you'll have caused two issues before you've even done any work... and B. like you don't understand how much of a problem it could be to call in sick on your first day.

I would go and talk to your manager and explain that you feel terrible about the situation and can't believe you were unfortunate enough to get so ill on your first day of work. Explain that you are 100% committed to the job and will be doing everything you can to demonstrate that you will be a good worker and hope that she'll give you another chance to make a first impression.

Then knuckle down, work hard, stay a bit late to get stuff done, offer help whereever you can and don't call in sick again in the next few months!
Original post by doodle_333
Don't complain!!!

You've made a terrible first impression (sorry but it's true, unless you were literally dying and unable to get out of bed/leave the toilet you should have been at work for at least as long as it took for them to send you home). If you complain and cause trouble you will look like A. you are a problem employee as you'll have caused two issues before you've even done any work... and B. like you don't understand how much of a problem it could be to call in sick on your first day.

I would go and talk to your manager and explain that you feel terrible about the situation and can't believe you were unfortunate enough to get so ill on your first day of work. Explain that you are 100% committed to the job and will be doing everything you can to demonstrate that you will be a good worker and hope that she'll give you another chance to make a first impression.

Then knuckle down, work hard, stay a bit late to get stuff done, offer help whereever you can and don't call in sick again in the next few months!
Original post by bones-mccoy
I'd ignore the woman if I were you, she's just annoyed you didn't come in so there was more work for everyone else to do, even though you were genuinely sick. But if she keeps being rude, I'd speak to someone higher up - no one deserves to be treated like that.
Original post by Crumpet1
It's hardly an ideal start. The only way you can come back from this will be to be utterly reliable - on time (ideally early), no more sick leave (and certainly not regular sick leave), until they have forgotten about your unfortunate first day. That won't take long if you impress. But there is nothing more annoying for employers and colleagues than unreliability, so wipe that impression as quickly as you can. I wouldn't suggest you do anything re the person's comment. It was off the cuff, and it won't be helpful to future relations if you start work by deciding you've got a feud going on.

Alright - ill ignore the comment but do you guys think its okay to ask for a store transfer? I asked about this during the interview and the manager said that she'll ask other stores if there's an availability, (and there is).

I just feel so intimidated by that one person - all be it, not a great impression on my part!
Reply 11
Alright - ill ignore the comment but do you guys think its okay to ask for a store transfer? I asked about this during the interview and the manager said that she'll ask other stores if there's an availability, (and there is).

I just feel so intimidated by that one person - all be it, not a great impression on my part!

Just knuckle down and get on with proving that eejit woman wrong.

Then, ask for a transfer.

if you've already discussed it then you can ask, but I don't think asking for a store transfer will make a great impression either tbh - although the manager may be happy to get rid of you
Reply 13
Something like this happened to me. I fell sick on my second day at work (I'm working in a hospital lol!) I got a very bad infection. I thought I was going to die lol. I wanted to go to work just because i didnt want my colleagues to have a bad idea about me but i was seriously sick and my sister insisted to take me to a doctor. When I came back to work I brought official evidence of my sickness and tried not to think of what my colleagues were thinking of me. There was nothing I could do about that.

1 year and a half later, I became in charge of the department lol. So... don't worry about what they think of you and try to prove yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending