The Student Room Group

16 and need a weekend job but idk where

I'm 16 and just need a job at weekends, probably Sundays. I'd really like to apply to pets at home but do they accept 16 year olds?? I'm not bothered about how much the pay is as long as I'm earning something. I've never had a job before but have done lots of work experience at vets and own 4 pets so the animal side to it is no problem. As I'm starting sixth form after school hours probably won't be doable and Saturdays I volunteer at my stables but I don't know if I'll be allowed to just work Sundays??? And how do I apply for the job, do I walk into the store and ask about it?? Any advice would be really helpful
(edited 6 years ago)
Try fast food.
When I was 16 I had a weekend job at Sainsbury's. I applied online, via their careers website. As long as you have a National Insurance number, decent GCSEs (which is odd, because I worked the deli) and your application is presentable, you should get an interview. Beyond that, it's down to luck and good performance. Some of my friends had weekend jobs at Waitrose, so it's worth visiting the John Lewis Partnership website to see if they have appropriate vacancies. I suspect other supermarkets have similar policies regarding 16-year-olds. An alternative is to apply to local, independent cafés (or other independent businesses generally). Admittedly, they tend to be family-run, but the more successful ones do hire by word of mouth, so there is no harm in walking in and asking them. Another advantage is that independent organisations tend to have more lax employment policies, so it'll be easier to negotiate Sunday-only/ before school shifts and they probably won't be as obsessed with NI numbers, e.g. I had a kitchen/ waiting job at my local golf club when I was 15 and they never asked for my NI number.
Reply 3
Mc Donalds
Burger King
Paperround
Reply 4
My first job at 17 was in Burger King and then I moved to Tesco soon after
Just take any job you can and then use it to apply for better things !
Maybe Mcdonalds?
Some places may have an issue if you only want to do one day a week (I think most supermarkets minimum hour contracts are 14 hours and if you are under 18 your shifts can't (read shouldn't) be longer than 8 hours). Don't rule out working after sch, just depends on how far work will be from sch/home to get there for 4:30 or so, some people do it (including me). Honestly I would say apply depending on where you think you would enjoy, I work at McDonald's and actually quite like it (secretly) so I would recommend trying there but each person will have their own preference. It will depend on individual stores and even individual managers as to whether they are happy for you to just work Sundays, I imagine most places would at least consider you. Overall just apply to lots of places and try and find a place you like, if you really hate what you get first time it is definitely possible to find something else, don't let yourself be trapped somewhere you hate!!
Original post by Jackster45
Some places may have an issue if you only want to do one day a week (I think most supermarkets minimum hour contracts are 14 hours and if you are under 18 your shifts can't (read shouldn't) be longer than 8 hours). Don't rule out working after sch, just depends on how far work will be from sch/home to get there for 4:30 or so, some people do it (including me). Honestly I would say apply depending on where you think you would enjoy, I work at McDonald's and actually quite like it (secretly) so I would recommend trying there but each person will have their own preference. It will depend on individual stores and even individual managers as to whether they are happy for you to just work Sundays, I imagine most places would at least consider you. Overall just apply to lots of places and try and find a place you like, if you really hate what you get first time it is definitely possible to find something else, don't let yourself be trapped somewhere you hate!!

What's it like working at Mcdonalds and what do you do?

How long have you been there?

How much do you get paid if you do not mind me asking?
Original post by Blackstarr
What's it like working at Mcdonalds and what do you do?

How long have you been there?

How much do you get paid if you do not mind me asking?

Lots of this will depend on your store and/or if you turn out to be any good at things. I am almost exclusively on front counter or drive thru, mostly order taking, assembling orders or making drinks, less often I am running drive thru. Very occasionally I am cooking or doing fries but really I am of more use somewhere else.
Overall it is quite fast paced and you will be busy constantly but the time goes really fast (I was once on the till and didn't realise that 2 hours had passed I was that busy). To start with you should be quite well supported by others training/helping you. There is a lot less of the mindless procedure following than most people think. In my store it is quite a fun environment, most people don't take it too seriously and everyone gets on quite well. Also I get quite a long break compared to most other people I know in similar level jobs.

I have been there since October 2016, so nearly 10 months

I get paid £5.35 an hour but this depends on your store and if you are a franchise or not (I am franchise fyi). Once you reach 18 you get paid more. You could definitely find a better paid job if you want to. The one advantage is (most stores) will give you a free meal on your break.

Hope this helps!
Original post by Jackster45
Lots of this will depend on your store and/or if you turn out to be any good at things. I am almost exclusively on front counter or drive thru, mostly order taking, assembling orders or making drinks, less often I am running drive thru. Very occasionally I am cooking or doing fries but really I am of more use somewhere else.
Overall it is quite fast paced and you will be busy constantly but the time goes really fast (I was once on the till and didn't realise that 2 hours had passed I was that busy). To start with you should be quite well supported by others training/helping you. There is a lot less of the mindless procedure following than most people think. In my store it is quite a fun environment, most people don't take it too seriously and everyone gets on quite well. Also I get quite a long break compared to most other people I know in similar level jobs.

I have been there since October 2016, so nearly 10 months

I get paid £5.35 an hour but this depends on your store and if you are a franchise or not (I am franchise fyi). Once you reach 18 you get paid more. You could definitely find a better paid job if you want to. The one advantage is (most stores) will give you a free meal on your break.

Hope this helps!

You see with the food safety e learning thing, how do i access that?

I have enrolled on it on mystuff but nothing works.

https://peoplestuff-uk.com/faces/oracle/webcenter/portalapp/pages/bridgePage.jspx?_afrLoop=1063777597042628&_afrWindowMode=0&_afrWindowId=4qzl4bcsj_1#!%40%40%3F_afrWindowId%3D4qzl4bcsj_1%26_afrLoop%3D1063777597042628%26_afrWindowMode%3D0%26_adf.ctrl-state%3D4qzl4bcsj_9
Original post by Elliefggj
I'm 16 and just need a job at weekends, probably Sundays. I'd really like to apply to pets at home but do they accept 16 year olds?? I'm not bothered about how much the pay is as long as I'm earning something. I've never had a job before but have done lots of work experience at vets and own 4 pets so the animal side to it is no problem. As I'm starting sixth form after school hours probably won't be doable and Saturdays I volunteer at my stables but I don't know if I'll be allowed to just work Sundays??? And how do I apply for the job, do I walk into the store and ask about it?? Any advice would be really helpful

How about mcdonalds.
You can do as many or as little hours as you want. So just doing a sunday would be fine.
You would also have the opportunity to do evenings after 6th form as well.

You do the elearning after you have applied and been accepted, then you will be able to access once you entered on the system by a manager. If it still doesn't work then call your store up, I can't really help, sorry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending