The Student Room Group

How come Architecture has no specific requirements?

I expected to see the same thing I saw with Engineering but quite the opposite.
Thoughts? Answers?
Original post by Oneiropólos
I expected to see the same thing I saw with Engineering but quite the opposite.
Thoughts? Answers?

You do need a creative course and/or a portfolio of work to apply.

It's a training program of 5 years study and 2 years work placement - that's time to train people from a broad range of backgrounds if they have the right visual skills
Original post by PQ
You do need a creative course and/or a portfolio of work to apply.

It's a training program of 5 years study and 2 years work placement - that's time to train people from a broad range of backgrounds if they have the right visual skills

That is much longer than I expected. Didn't realise it was 7 years
That is much longer than I expected. Didn't realise it was 7 years

3 years for a BA/BSc/BArch, 1 year work experience (paid), 2 years for an MArch (funded like undergrad courses are), 1 year paid work experience followed by an exam to qualify

There's other routes and some people don't progress further than the BA but still work within architecture
Original post by PQ
3 years for a BA/BSc/BArch, 1 year work experience (paid), 2 years for an MArch (funded like undergrad courses are), 1 year paid work experience followed by an exam to qualify

There's other routes and some people don't progress further than the BA but still work within architecture

The majority of people do more than 2 years working "experience" too; for most people the total time to qualify is often nearer to 10 years. Realistically though once you've done you're MArch you're basically done with university and getting paid so its not too bad (it's terrible but still).
Original post by Farchitect
The majority of people do more than 2 years working "experience" too; for most people the total time to qualify is often nearer to 10 years. Realistically though once you've done you're MArch you're basically done with university and getting paid so its not too bad (it's terrible but still).

The pay isn't good is it?
The pay isn't good is it?

Not compared to other professions that take as much time and money to qualify in. Most of my friends who just did business courses or marketing courses at random former polys earn more than most architects I know. The only way you make money in architecture is by setting up your own practice, and the only people who can afford to do that are people from rich backgrounds. So if you're from a rich background, go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending