The Student Room Group

How much time should I spend revising on the LNAT?

I'm looking to achieve the highest grade possible and I want to start preparing but I am unsure when to start doing so. Registration opens next week and I am hoping to do it in September so it's out of the way. When would you recommend starting to prepare?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well I started in May if it helps
A week before the exam... do a few practice questions
Original post by Bror0208
Well if it helps, I started briefly in may and seriously in July, been doing about 7 essay titles and a lot of passages since, and I will do more.

Jesus christ. When is your exam date?
Reply 4
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Jesus christ. When is your exam date?

Well registration has not poened yet, so I don`t know. I am applying for Oxford, so It`ll be in September I think.
Reply 5
Well registration has not poened yet, so I don`t know. I am applying for Oxford, so It`ll be in September I think.

Hmm do you think its a good idea or bad idea to start preparing so early? I've been getting mixed responses about as people think you peak too early and then fail the test. Unsure myself as to what to do. Would love some advice.

Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by new1234
Hmm do you think its a good idea or bad idea to start preparing so early? I've been getting mixed responses about as people think you peak too early and then fail the test. Unsure myself as to what to do. Would love some advice.

Thanks

I dont`t know, and it`s subjective. For me it`s a lot about confidence in terms of how I am able to answer the questions. Getting in a momentum is also important, and I recognise that if I do let`s say 4 passages a day, that the 3rd and 4th ones always are better than the early ones. In terms of peak, I don`t believe in that at all. Being familiar with the questions will always be better and starting early will again be rewarding, that is at least what the guys tell me.
Reply 7
I dont`t know, and it`s subjective. For me it`s a lot about confidence in terms of how I am able to answer the questions. Getting in a momentum is also important, and I recognise that if I do let`s say 4 passages a day, that the 3rd and 4th ones always are better than the early ones. In terms of peak, I don`t believe in that at all. Being familiar with the questions will always be better and starting early will again be rewarding, that is at least what the guys tell me.

Hmmm, fair enough. So you want to build momentum for the actual test? When are you planning on taking it? What books are you using?

Good luck!
Reply 8
Original post by new1234
Hmmm, fair enough. So you want to build momentum for the actual test? When are you planning on taking it? What books are you using?

Good luck!

I am using the 400 questions LNAT guide.I do enjoy it, it is very specific and also has some useful section 2 advice. I am applying to Oxford, so I will most likely take it in September. Yes, I want to build a momentum before the test and intesify my revising the closer I come to the test. That is only me though, could be something entirely else that will work for you. When I finis the 400 question book I will do the practice test online, and see if I can improve on my 26 score from last time.
Reply 9
I am using the 400 questions LNAT guide.I do enjoy it, it is very specific and also has some useful section 2 advice. I am applying to Oxford, so I will most likely take it in September. Yes, I want to build a momentum before the test and intesify my revising the closer I come to the test. That is only me though, could be something entirely else that will work for you. When I finis the 400 question book I will do the practice test online, and see if I can improve on my 26 score from last time.

Which unis are you applying for? Good luck, mate.

Ahh, I've ordered the Mark Shephard book so will see how that is. You've already done the online mock test? I was going to leave that till a week before. How many hours do you reckon your spending on revision for the LNAT? Trying to revise for A-Levels as well this summer so I guess I need to plan how to fit this all in.
Ah, I myself am thinking of applying to LSE,UCL, Kings,Warwick and I am considering Oxford. Kind of confused about the whole BA in Law (Jurisprudence) so have been trying to do more research on Jurisprudence in particular as if the degree is based on this I dont want to hate this topic. Haha. What other uni's are you considering?
Original post by new1234
Ahh, I've ordered the Mark Shephard book so will see how that is. You've already done the online mock test? I was going to leave that till a week before. How many hours do you reckon your spending on revision for the LNAT? Trying to revise for A-Levels as well this summer so I guess I need to plan how to fit this all in.
Ah, I myself am thinking of applying to LSE,UCL, Kings,Warwick and I am considering Oxford. Kind of confused about the whole BA in Law (Jurisprudence) so have been trying to do more research on Jurisprudence in particular as if the degree is based on this I dont want to hate this topic. Haha. What other uni's are you considering?

The Mark Shepard one is the most common one I think. yes I am busy completing some IB deadlines too, not really what I`d call a summer, this one. Well there are four online tests I think, so do one now, and see if you improve on a later stage. LSE is tough in terms of what they expect of subjects, in the sense that they are so specific. I`ll apply to Oxford, UCL, Durham, Warwick and Kings. Nahh I don`t want to hate it either, but I mean it will be fun once we get out either way, so it`s more about grinding out the three years, that is for me anyway.
The Mark Shepard one is the most common one I think. yes I am busy completing some IB deadlines too, not really what I`d call a summer, this one. Well there are four online tests I think, so do one now, and see if you improve on a later stage. LSE is tough in terms of what they expect of subjects, in the sense that they are so specific. I`ll apply to Oxford, UCL, Durham, Warwick and Kings. Nahh I don`t want to hate it either, but I mean it will be fun once we get out either way, so it`s more about grinding out the three years, that is for me anyway.

Luckily I meet the requirement for LSE in terms of subjects( now that theyaccept Law as an A-Level). Hmmm, I actually like the subject and am looking forward to studying it so I want to make sure I dont hate Jurisprudence before applying for it. So far, alot of people hate it but Im gonna form an opinion.

How many hours do you reckon you spend on the LNAT per day?
Thanks.
Original post by new1234
Luckily I meet the requirement for LSE in terms of subjects( now that theyaccept Law as an A-Level). Hmmm, I actually like the subject and am looking forward to studying it so I want to make sure I dont hate Jurisprudence before applying for it. So far, alot of people hate it but Im gonna form an opinion.

How many hours do you reckon you spend on the LNAT per day?
Thanks.

I believe law is a non-preferable subject for LSE? Well, it is tough to say. I try to do a bit every day but sometimes I don`t, so I`d say about 20-30 minutes 4 times a week.
I believe law is a non-preferable subject for LSE? Well, it is tough to say. I try to do a bit every day but sometimes I don`t, so I`d say about 20-30 minutes 4 times a week.

Nope. They changed it for 2018 entry! Right I see. Ok. Thanks!
Original post by new1234
Nope. They changed it for 2018 entry! Right I see. Ok. Thanks!

Alright, then. Done a practice test yet?
Alright, then. Done a practice test yet?

No not yet. I'm gonna wait for my book to arrive have a little read through the advice and try a couple questions to make sure I'm familiar with the structure then do a test. I dont want to scare myself by doing really badly since im unfamiliar with the test.

Hey I can only find 2 online tests? Are you sure theres 4?
I didn't start practising until a couple of weeks before I sat the LNAT in 2013 and my score got me in to Oxford. Past papers are the best you can do to prepare, but don't bog yourself down in them- this isn't something you can be completely ready for. This is something designed to assess you as you are, unlike exams which test what you know.

Essay technique and logical thinking are things to perhaps start thinking about during the summer before I'd suggest. But even then you'll never feel prepared for it- no one does!. Remember the average every year is only about half- just keep a level head, an eye on time, and get used to the structure and you'll be fine.

Good luck!
I am so disheartened.

I got a good score for one test (31/42) then the next I got 26 which is below Oxford average! Help on trying not to cry haha

Its so stressful! My test is 11th of Sep... Too early??

I didnt want to clash with school internal tests and EPQ deadlines and such,...

Latest

Trending

Trending