The Student Room Group

Economics or finance degrees with alternative qualifications?

Honestly, I dropped out of college without any A-Levels to do an apprenticeship in accountancy. I'm 19 now and just about to complete my AAT Level 3 and would be interested in doing a degree in economics or finance. Just wondering if this is possible at all and if there are any routes I can take regarding this?
Reply 1
Original post by SirJesusXII
Honestly, I dropped out of college without any A-Levels to do an apprenticeship in accountancy. I'm 19 now and just about to complete my AAT Level 3 and would be interested in doing a degree in economics or finance. Just wondering if this is possible at all and if there are any routes I can take regarding this?

You will need to check if your AAT is acceptable for specific courses at specific universities.

A good place to start would be asking your college if anyone has previously progressed down that path.

Edit to add: London Met will accept it. I'm sure there are others too:
http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/accounting-and-finance---ba-hons/

Also Brighton
https://www.aat.org.uk/qualifications/university-brighton

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply!

This information is actually really good, it's a relief knowing that it's an option I am able to take.

Do you think it is too late for me to consider full time university?

Thanks again :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply!

This information is actually really good, it's a relief knowing that it's an option I am able to take.

Do you think it is too late for me to consider full time university?

Thanks again :smile:

Hmm, I'm glad you found it useful but Clearing is open now and places will be going as we speak. You need to hit the phone and contact each university's clearing hotline. Now.

You will also need to complete a UCAS application.
Reply 4
Original post by Doonesbury
Hmm, I'm glad you found it useful but Clearing is open now and places will be going as we speak. You need to hit the phone and contact each university's clearing hotline. Now.

You will also need to complete a UCAS application.

My AAT doesn't finish until the end of September so I would probably be looking at starting in Autumn 2018; is clearing the process I'd need to go through to apply for next year?

Thanks again
Reply 5
My AAT doesn't finish until the end of September so I would probably be looking at starting in Autumn 2018; is clearing the process I'd need to go through to apply for next year?

Thanks again

Ah ok! No just apply as normal through UCAS before their 15th January deadline. Aim to send it off with your reference etc by November/December.

Hi there,

We also accept the AAT qualification. You would need to have studied it alongside another level 3 qualification to make sure you have enough tariff points.

Details about our economics and finance degrees can be found here. At Herts we've got the biggest business school in the east of England and you can do a work placement or study abroad in your 2nd or 3rd year.

if you've got any questions, just let us know.

Thanks,
Heather
Reply 7
Original post by University of Hertfordshire
Hi there,

We also accept the AAT qualification. You would need to have studied it alongside another level 3 qualification to make sure you have enough tariff points.

Details about our economics and finance degrees can be found here. At Herts we've got the biggest business school in the east of England and you can do a work placement or study abroad in your 2nd or 3rd year.

if you've got any questions, just let us know.

Thanks,
Heather

Hi Heather

I am only currently doing my AAT level 3, so as I understand it I would need to take and complete another Level 3 course in the next year in order to be able to go to university?

Thanks
Hi Heather

I am only currently doing my AAT level 3, so as I understand it I would need to take and complete another Level 3 course in the next year in order to be able to go to university?

Thanks

Hi there,

Yes, that's right - you'll need to do another level 3 course to make up enough tariff points to meet the entry requirements for this course.

Hope this helps - feel free to get back in touch if you have any more questions!

Heather

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending