The Student Room Group

Changing from Australian Uni to Uk

Firstly I know you guys probably can't give me a definite or anything but any advice or opinions are welcome.

So I will be studying a bachelor of science with majors in chemistry and biology in an Australian uni, which I'm doing part-time. I'm waiting for my partner visa to be sorted and want a back up plan in case it's rejected. The thing is I won't have done a full year by the time my visa is decided. I will have completely 2-3 modules/ units/ courses (not sure what to call them). And I also don't have any science a levels (A in religious studies, B in ICT and C in health and social) . So I was wondering if I would be likely to be accepted to first year entry into a UK uni for biochemistry or similar with this background.
Original post by neonbleu
Firstly I know you guys probably can't give me a definite or anything but any advice or opinions are welcome.

So I will be studying a bachelor of science with majors in chemistry and biology in an Australian uni, which I'm doing part-time. I'm waiting for my partner visa to be sorted and want a back up plan in case it's rejected. The thing is I won't have done a full year by the time my visa is decided. I will have completely 2-3 modules/ units/ courses (not sure what to call them). And I also don't have any science a levels (A in religious studies, B in ICT and C in health and social) . So I was wondering if I would be likely to be accepted to first year entry into a UK uni for biochemistry or similar with this background.

I cant work out what your nationality and residences are?
Are you expecting UK student finance?

1.Being accepted can be straightforward if you have the right grades. If you ahve the wrong subjects then you may need to apply for a course with a foundation year, but I doubt you will get accepted straight onto a full science course with no science A levels.

2. The more important issue is funding. IF you are a UK citizen and want student finance plus home fees then you need to be resident in the UK for the 3 years prior to the start of the course. This will be a lot more complicated and difficult to prove if you have moved to Australia. You need to keep contact with the UK and that you consider both your residence. SFE may decide Australia is where you reside and thats your permanent home. You need to show it was temporary.

If they are not convinced then you will not get student finance and be paying international fees.

Get your partner to sort his visa out because the fallback option may no be there for you.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
I cant work out what your nationality and residences are?
Are you expecting UK student finance?

1.Being accepted can be straightforward if you have the right grades. If you ahve the wrong subjects then you may need to apply for a course with a foundation year, but I doubt you will get accepted straight onto a full science course with no science A levels.

2. The more important issue is funding. IF you are a UK citizen and want student finance plus home fees then you need to be resident in the UK for the 3 years prior to the start of the course. This will be a lot more complicated and difficult to prove if you have moved to Australia. You need to keep contact with the UK and that you consider both your residence. SFE may decide Australia is where you reside and thats your permanent home. You need to show it was temporary.

If they are not convinced then you will not get student finance and be paying international fees.

Get your partner to sort his visa out because the fallback option may no be there for you.

Oh forgot to mention I'm British and am still considered a British resident.
Do you have any examples of courses with a foundation year? I've never heard of that before.
Thanks for the response.
Original post by neonbleu
Oh forgot to mention I'm British and am still considered a British resident.
Do you have any examples of courses with a foundation year? I've never heard of that before.
Thanks for the response.

You are still a British resident until you move to Australia, then it comes into question. If its a real risk then my advice is no to start Uni there and delay a year till you know for definite.

Its not really clear what degree you want to do. Generalised science degrees are less common.

Normal ways are just to do a foundation degree, but here are examples
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/faculty-of-science/science-with-foundation-year-bsc.aspx

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2017/00660/bsc-msc-science-with-an-integrated-foundation-year/

https://www.shu.ac.uk/study-here/extended-degrees?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=283-3-8&utm_content=extended-degree&utm_term=%2Bfoundation%20%2Byear&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvumnxejs1QIVS5PtCh3SrQpUEAAYASAAEgJrvvD_BwE

You could also do a one year access course aimed at science degrees, but studied at college.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending