The Student Room Group

I really have no clue about what I wanna do at uni

I've seen a bunch of courses and stuff on uni websites but I don't really know what's for me. I'd say I've got decent GCSE grades but I don't know what I could do with my A-Level choices¿? Lil bit worried if I find out too late.

I chose
Maths + Further Maths
Physics
Psychology

Maths at a good uni requires step and idk what job id get with maths anyways. The rest idk. wut do I do lol. Say if I got decent grades at A-Level too, what could I do at uni with these A-Level options (not like the obvious things like maths physics and psychology but like: computing or something since you don't acc need computing at most units to do it)
Reply 1
maths at a good uni doesnt necessarily require step. only cambridge requires step afaik. at other unis step may be used to get a reduced offer. oxford and imperial ask for MAT instead of step.

as for other degrees, you could do economics, business, accounting/finance, engineering
Original post by pastelsloth
I've seen a bunch of courses and stuff on uni websites but I don't really know what's for me. I'd say I've got decent GCSE grades but I don't know what I could do with my A-Level choices¿? Lil bit worried if I find out too late.

I chose
Maths + Further Maths
Physics
Psychology

Maths at a good uni requires step and idk what job id get with maths anyways. The rest idk. wut do I do lol. Say if I got decent grades at A-Level too, what could I do at uni with these A-Level options (not like the obvious things like maths physics and psychology but like: computing or something since you don't acc need computing at most units to do it)

You have high standards for what constitutes a 'good uni'.

I chose
Maths + Further Maths
Physics
Psychology

Are you in yr12 or 13?
Original post by Forecast
You have high standards for what constitutes a 'good uni'.

Oh jeez I'm sorry. I just think there's no point doing maths at a mediocre one since I'll probs end up as a teacher or something that way lmao
Original post by JickDee
maths at a good uni doesnt necessarily require step. only cambridge requires step afaik. at other unis step may be used to get a reduced offer. oxford and imperial ask for MAT instead of step.

as for other degrees, you could do economics, business, accounting/finance, engineering

Yeah ur right-I guess Cambridge is better than good is what I should have said but it was late when I wrote the original post so I cba.

Thanks for the info though, I guess some of those are better than what I might have had in mind so I don't regret my options too much now
Original post by Boredom101
Are you in yr12 or 13?

going into 12, only asking now since I don't wanna regret my choices 6 months into my a levels or something Lol
going into 12, only asking now since I don't wanna regret my choices 6 months into my a levels or something Lol

I'm sure you won't regret it, if you've studied it before and done well.
Have you had a look at an engineering course?
Oh jeez I'm sorry. I just think there's no point doing maths at a mediocre one since I'll probs end up as a teacher or something that way lmao

The only university which requires STEP for maths is Cambridge; are all the rest of them mediocre then?
Reply 9
Yeah ur right-I guess Cambridge is better than good is what I should have said but it was late when I wrote the original post so I cba.

Thanks for the info though, I guess some of those are better than what I might have had in mind so I don't regret my options too much now

btw dont rule out maths.. you can get into really top unis for maths (oxford, imperial, warwick) without STEP
Original post by Forecast
The only university which requires STEP for maths is Cambridge; are all the rest of them mediocre then?

I mean STEP and other entrance exam type of stuff-just saying 1. I'd probably fail the exam 2. I'd probably miss the req anyway. no need to take me seriously idk what I'm saying half the time ok. obviously not all other unis are mediocre just doing maths at any average one (not necessarily everything minus cambridge) doesn't seem worth it.
Original post by Boredom101
I'm sure you won't regret it, if you've studied it before and done well.
Have you had a look at an engineering course?

Well I think I did well for those at GCSE only I didn't take psychology as my school didn't offer it but I think I'm good at essay writing cuz I got a 9 an 8 and an A* in my three essay subjects English and history. hopefully I don't die bc of the workload lol

and I mean I've only heard about engineering courses, might have to look into them a bit more to see how much I'd wanna do it
You could do physics and become a scientist. And if you don't want to become a scientist you could always become a financial analyst and make bank.
Well I think I did well for those at GCSE only I didn't take psychology as my school didn't offer it but I think I'm good at essay writing cuz I got a 9 an 8 and an A* in my three essay subjects English and history. hopefully I don't die bc of the workload lol

and I mean I've only heard about engineering courses, might have to look into them a bit more to see how much I'd wanna do it

Well in that case, if you're good at essay writing subjects you could do essay writing courses? At the end of the day its completely up to you. Research a few courses with your options.
You can use this website to see which courses would suit your A-Levels?
https://sacu-student.com/?page_id=5203

Quick Reply

Latest