The Student Room Group

Share and give advice please :)

I'm starting uni next week and two things that I am most afraid of are: actually not being able to understand anything at degree level and (this is childish and stupid) but being picked on for my height
Well what course are you going and how tall are you? Are you male or female? Background info is needed...
There will inevitably be parts of the course you struggle with, as will there be parts of the course you excel in. It's like that for pretty much everyone. And in my experience there's a big sense of community on courses to help each other out where necessary if you're struggling.

As for your height, I'm 4'9 and apart from some friendly jokes/banter from my friends no one has ever "picked on me" for my height.
Reply 3
Original post by MeowCat21
Well what course are you going and how tall are you? Are you male or female? Background info is needed...

Media, Female, 4'9
Reply 4
Original post by SophieSmall
There will inevitably be parts of the course you struggle with, as will there be parts of the course you excel in. It's like that for pretty much everyone. And in my experience there's a big sense of community on courses to help each other out where necessary if you're struggling.

As for your height, I'm 4'9 and apart from some friendly jokes/banter from my friends no one has ever "picked on me" for my height.

This is reassuring! I'm 4'9 too :smile:
Original post by lrhwaterx
This is reassuring! I'm 4'9 too :smile:

I've actually met quite a few people of similar height while at uni. My next door neighbour in first year (who I ended up living with) is 4'10 and her flatmate who became one of our housemates, his girlfriend was 4'8.

No one cared. Sometimes someone will comment, but not in a malicious way. And jokes have only been made by friends, and I joke back at them for other things.

If anyone is genuinely malicious or mean, then they're an ******** and they are the minority. So don't let it get to you. Nothing wrong with being short, it's never held me back.
Media, Female, 4'9

I can't comment on the course but I think that's an average height for a girl... I wish I wasn't so tall!
I can't comment on the course but I think that's an average height for a girl... I wish I wasn't so tall!

Average female height in the UK is 5'4. There are only a few countries in the world were 4'9-4'10 is considered average.
Average female height in the UK is 5'4. There are only a few countries in the world were 4'9-4'10 is considered average.

Okay then, the average desired height? I'm 5'8 and being a tall girl sucks...

No idea what the average desired height is, but I doubt it is 4'9 lol. (Not to say being short stops you getting a partner, it has never stopped me, and I have female friends taller than you. They've not had issues either).

There are pros and cons on both sides of the fence. Be you short or tall. Neither is worse than the other, it's not a competition as to who has it worse.
No idea what the average desired height is, but I doubt it is 4'9 lol. (Not to say being short stops you getting a partner, it has never stopped me).

There are pros and cons on both sides of the fence. Be you short or tall. Neither is worse than the other, it's not a competition as to who has it worse.

I didn't say it was :biggrin:
Reply 11
I've actually met quite a few people of similar height while at uni. My next door neighbour in first year (who I ended up living with) is 4'10 and her flatmate who became one of our housemates, his girlfriend was 4'8.

No one cared. Sometimes someone will comment, but not in a malicious way. And jokes have only been made by friends, and I joke back at them for other things.

If anyone is genuinely malicious or mean, then they're an ******** and they are the minority. So don't let it get to you. Nothing wrong with being short, it's never held me back.

In the past, at high school and primary, people have said stuff to me but it's mainly just 'omg youre so short' 'you're tiny' etc and it doesnt bother me but I just a bit nervous about how people will treat me, guys especially.

I always joke back too and laugh at it, people tend to feel bad for me which is quite funny
Reply 12

It would be my dream to be that height! Own it girl!
In the past, at high school and primary, people have said stuff to me but it's mainly just 'omg youre so short' 'you're tiny' etc and it doesnt bother me but I just a bit nervous about how people will treat me, guys especially.

I always joke back too and laugh at it, people tend to feel bad for me which is quite funny

Yeah, I was bullied quite a bit in school because of my height.

You may get a few "you're short" comments, but they generally just come from stupid people who can't think of anything less glaringly obvious to say lol.

There will be guys who simply don't find short girls attractive, just as there will be some who do. And many simply won't care. I've never been rejected (to my face lol) because of my height.
Reply 14
Yeah, I was bullied quite a bit in school because of my height.

You may get a few "you're short" comments, but they generally just come from stupid people who can't think of anything less glaringly obvious to say lol.

There will be guys who simply don't find short girls attractive, just as there will be some who do. And many simply won't care. I've never been rejected (to my face lol) because of my height.

Thanks for replying back to me, its actually made me feel a lot better about the whole situation! Tbh i may just be over thinking al of this
Thanks for replying back to me, its actually made me feel a lot better about the whole situation! Tbh i may just be over thinking al of this

no worries :smile: and yep you're definitely over thinking it lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending