The Student Room Group

The Boots Thread

Scroll to see replies

Generally they ask you the same questions, sometimes worded slightly differently.
Sometimes they take you to the shop floor, sometimes they don't.
At my interview, the manager asked me to think of a product and advertise it to him. He was super nice and gave me paper and a pen to jot down my notes and gave me like 10 minutes on my own to do that (didn't take that long at all) and when he returned I just advertised a product that I thought off, and you can make up things to say, they dont expect it to be factually correct but a good tip is: dont make up anything too unrealistic or just plain silly.
(I chose a foundation and I basically talked about it, occasionally he'd ask questions based on what i had said but it was nothing to worry about)
But we didn't go to the shop floor at all for my interview.

Original post by Mokona
ehh... is that what happens at the interview? Was wondering why I needed to pick an item -gulp-

Got mine next month....
(edited 6 years ago)
Good luck! and seriously dont sweat it, its just them asking questions about why you applied and about any experience (you may have) and basically want to get a feel of your personality as a whole. Its nothing to be worried about, the managers are generally very nice people :smile:

Original post by Mokona
ehh... is that what happens at the interview? Was wondering why I needed to pick an item -gulp-

Got mine next month....
Oh, that sounds okay then! But I have everything to worry about because of my track record in failing at interviews.
Just be happy and be confidant, Smile and give them a good idea of your personality and why you would be great for this job.
Like saying, i shop alot from boots and demonstrate your knowledge regarding their own brands like No7 and Seventeen, Natural Collection, Botanics etc . I wish you all the best and good luck! :smile:)
Original post by Mokona
Oh, that sounds okay then! But I have everything to worry about because of my track record in failing at interviews.
Original post by ForeverAQx
Just be happy and be confidant, Smile and give them a good idea of your personality and why you would be great for this job.
Like saying, i shop alot from boots and demonstrate your knowledge regarding their own brands like No7 and Seventeen, Natural Collection, Botanics etc . I wish you all the best and good luck! :smile:)

....Yeah I don't tend to shop at Boots, only on some occassions. Looks like I have a bunch of research to do!
Yep deffa do some research on their own brands and the items they sell and maybe get an advantage card of you dont already have one, you can apply online and it usually comes within a week. :smile:
But seriously the interview will be absolutely fine and trust me I was really nervous about mine too bc it was my first job interview! :biggrin:

Original post by Mokona
....Yeah I don't tend to shop at Boots, only on some occassions. Looks like I have a bunch of research to do!
Just applied but didn't do an online assessment of any sort, is that normal?Plus how long do they take to get back to you and if I did get an interview what would it be like?

Original post by Roy101
Just applied but didn't do an online assessment of any sort, is that normal?Plus how long do they take to get back to you and if I did get an interview what would it be like?

if you can do the hours they're looking for ect, they'll send you a link for the online assessment. it usually takes a day or so
I just had an interview for a christmas temp assistant positition today, I think it went pretty well. The interviewer was very nice.First she took some details about my availability, photocopied my passport, and then asked some typical questions like “talk about a time you raised someone’s morale”, “talk about a time you showes enthusiasm in a team”, etc. I found them a bit tricky cause they were all a bit similar and I haven’t had much experience so it was a bit tough, but she seemed impressed with all my uni examples. Apparently the questions are tailored to your application/online assessment and custom-made for you (it was even her first time reading them), so I probably got a lot of team-based questions because of my clear lack of previous experience of working in teams. We then went to the shop floor, she first asked me how I’d respond in some scenarios. These were “if someone wanted to buy a gift for their friend, what would you do?”, and “if someone was looking for a perfume, how wouls you help them?”, and “if a customer wanted to buy a cost-effective sun cream, how would you assist them?”. Then she asked me to sell my chosen product to her. I used a neutrogena cleanser and told her about its best points, for example it’s mild on the skin, it has salicylic acid which is an effective anti-acne ingredient, etc. I also mentioned the 3 for 2 offer Boots has on skincare products, which I think she liked. She then asked me to read customers’ body language, and to pick out a couple who seemed confident and a couple who perhaps needed help. Then she asked me to approach a few customers to see if they needed any help. This part was a bit rocky because one customer asked me for face washes, which I pointed out to him, but then he said face lotion not watch, then body lotion, and he just seemed really confused and the manager had to come help me. This is the only part that worries me, but the manager said he didn’t seem to know what he wants anyway so it’s fine.Finally, she took me to an aisle and asked me what I would change about it if I had 10 mins to sort it out. She then said what suggestions I’d make to management about changing the whole aisle and stuff like that. She seemed impressed with my ideas (such as making the promotion banners bigger, and placing on-offer items on the top). And that’s it! Just waiting to hear back, which she said would probably be next week. My advice would be to be as smiley and cheerful as you can be, learn a lot about the product you choose, have a quick walk round the store before you announce your arrival for the interview, and gather some ideas about how you might improve the aisles.
Original post by Infinitydays
I just had an interview for a christmas temp assistant positition today, I think it went pretty well. The interviewer was very nice.First she took some details about my availability, photocopied my passport, and then asked some typical questions like “talk about a time you raised someone’s morale”, “talk about a time you showes enthusiasm in a team”, etc. I found them a bit tricky cause they were all a bit similar and I haven’t had much experience so it was a bit tough, but she seemed impressed with all my uni examples. Apparently the questions are tailored to your application/online assessment and custom-made for you (it was even her first time reading them), so I probably got a lot of team-based questions because of my clear lack of previous experience of working in teams. We then went to the shop floor, she first asked me how I’d respond in some scenarios. These were “if someone wanted to buy a gift for their friend, what would you do?”, and “if someone was looking for a perfume, how wouls you help them?”, and “if a customer wanted to buy a cost-effective sun cream, how would you assist them?”. Then she asked me to sell my chosen product to her. I used a neutrogena cleanser and told her about its best points, for example it’s mild on the skin, it has salicylic acid which is an effective anti-acne ingredient, etc. I also mentioned the 3 for 2 offer Boots has on skincare products, which I think she liked. She then asked me to read customers’ body language, and to pick out a couple who seemed confident and a couple who perhaps needed help. Then she asked me to approach a few customers to see if they needed any help. This part was a bit rocky because one customer asked me for face washes, which I pointed out to him, but then he said face lotion not watch, then body lotion, and he just seemed really confused and the manager had to come help me. This is the only part that worries me, but the manager said he didn’t seem to know what he wants anyway so it’s fine.Finally, she took me to an aisle and asked me what I would change about it if I had 10 mins to sort it out. She then said what suggestions I’d make to management about changing the whole aisle and stuff like that. She seemed impressed with my ideas (such as making the promotion banners bigger, and placing on-offer items on the top). And that’s it! Just waiting to hear back, which she said would probably be next week. My advice would be to be as smiley and cheerful as you can be, learn a lot about the product you choose, have a quick walk round the store before you announce your arrival for the interview, and gather some ideas about how you might improve the aisles.

That sounds okay! I think I already picked the item to sell. I'm mostly worried on what questions they will ask.

hopefully you'll get the job!
Did any guys here get an interview? What did you guys wear?

I don't really have a good pair of trousers anymore since they got ruined. Would a pair of black jeans, white and tie work?
Yepp, I had my interview a few months ago andI got the job. I wore my sixth form smart attire, black trousers, white shirt and black blazer/jacket.

You can always get a cheap pair of trousers from Primark or H&M or something like that. To be honest, as long as you look smart thats all that matters. First impressions often do count so do try to look your best :smile:

Original post by Trihawk7
Did any guys here get an interview? What did you guys wear?

I don't really have a good pair of trousers anymore since they got ruined. Would a pair of black jeans, white and tie work?
Original post by ForeverAQx
Yepp, I had my interview a few months ago andI got the job. I wore my sixth form smart attire, black trousers, white shirt and black blazer/jacket.

You can always get a cheap pair of trousers from Primark or H&M or something like that. To be honest, as long as you look smart thats all that matters. First impressions often do count so do try to look your best :smile:

Thanks, I ended up just buying a pair of trousers from Next :biggrin: Do you think the blazer would look better or nah? I'm going straight from uni to my interview so don't really have much time or room to carry around change of clothes.
I think a black cardigan will be just as good, or a black formal jacket, a blazer isn't necessary in my opinion, as long as you look smart and presentable, that's all that matters. Good Luck at your interview :biggrin:
Original post by Trihawk7
Thanks, I ended up just buying a pair of trousers from Next :biggrin: Do you think the blazer would look better or nah? I'm going straight from uni to my interview so don't really have much time or room to carry around change of clothes.
I had my interview for a Boots Christmas Temp position in the West Midlands last week, and got a call today saying I'd got the job. The manager let me know when I'd start and what the hours I was needed for were. He also said I should get information through the post.

How long might it take for the info to come through the post? I don't start until late November.

Do Christmas Temps get given uniforms? And do they usually have an induction/training before their first shift?

So nervous and happy at the same time :eek:
Original post by GloriousFailure
I had my interview for a Boots Christmas Temp position in the West Midlands last week, and got a call today saying I'd got the job. The manager let me know when I'd start and what the hours I was needed for were. He also said I should get information through the post.

How long might it take for the info to come through the post? I don't start until late November.

Do Christmas Temps get given uniforms? And do they usually have an induction/training before their first shift?

So nervous and happy at the same time :eek:

how was it?!
Reply 2716
Hi! Has anyone been for an interview for boots fragrance consultant? I applied for the job around a week ago and I have an interview next week. Pretty nervous and wondering if the interview questions are any different to sales assistant role questions? I’m really hoping to get the job so any advice would be appreciated!
Original post by leahnj
how was it?!

I enjoyed it, overall! I was there from November 20th until Jan 1st.

There was an "induction", that lasted about an hour, then you just got put on the shop floor until closing! That was terrifying, haha. There wasn't really any training, except for on their online platform. The other staff just had to teach us how to operate the tills. I'd say there weren't many instructions, the managers occasionally appeared and changed whatever task you were doing, for example moving you off tills and asking you to pull forever in certain sections of the store. Often you would be tidying the Christmas Gift section. Plenty of the customers were nice, others were snotty or quite nasty - but I found the other staff to be all-in-all very kind and helpful (especially the weekday ones, it was slightly more clique-y on weekends IMO).

As I started a lot earlier than the other temps (there was just me and 2 others to begin with), I ended up landing nearly twice the hours I was originally offered in the contract. I was working my usual job on top of the Christmas one, but I didn't really find it exhausting, it was exhilarating. I usually go in a winter slump, but I was kept so busy that I ended up more positive and energized, and wealthy lol.

The work itself was in some ways varied, in others a little monotonous. On quiet days when you'd be pulling forward items on the shelves for most of the day, I admit I was a little bored - however, you'll be approached by customers *loads* whilst you're doing this, so you're still kept busy, and the store is never fully tidy lol. On busier days the tills were forever calling for assistance, and so the time could pass very quickly. I found stocking up the make-up when there was nothing else to do quite therapeutic. Sometimes the managers would ask you to do this, or to stay on the shelves closest to the tills, to watch for growing queues. At quieter points during the day, you might be putting out Christmas stock, mainly thinking like Lynx gift sets and this was good if you really wanted to be off the shop floor for a little while.

I'd say the hardest part for me (though I already had customer-facing experience, so was used to that element) was when a customer asked you if you stocked an item, or where an item was - because there are thousands of items, and it was impossible to have everything memorised, especially as a temp. Sometimes I found these occasions very embarrassing and anxiety inducing- but if you can overcome these feelings and not worry too much about your bad moments in the day, everything was fine.

I was there for 6 weeks, and I could count of one hand the amount of truly bad experiences I had. One was a creepy man following me around the store for a day or so - and that had to be dealt with. The others were a few quite aggressive customers at the tills. Obviously there was plenty of minor rude offences etc, but these are easily laughed off.

I am planning on applying for Christmas Temp again this year, if my hours aren't increased where I currently work. So, it can't have been *that* bad :smile: (Long reply, thought I'd just do my general summary here)
Hey Guys, does anyone know if you can use the ‘50% off sunglasses over £25’ voucher from the advantage card voucher pack in conjunction with staff discount?
Just had a Boots Interview for Trainee Pharmacy Adviser/Dispenser and it was really chill and informal and nothing to worry about just standard interview questions like: What qualities will you bring to Boots? Why Boots? and Tell me of a time you went above and beyond for a customer? Good luck all :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending