The Student Room Group

Low ukcat is it the end of the road for me?

I got 587.5 in my ukcat which is rubbish I know.
VR 500
AR 600
DM 600
QR 650
My GCSES are 6A* and 5As
My a level predictions are AAA/A*AA
Do I still have a chance of applying for medicin? Which unis should I apply to if I want to apply for 2 ukcat and 2 bmat unis?

Help me out guys! I'm just feeling depressed and frustrated how a 2 hour guessing game can be such an obstacle!
Reply 1
Well if you treated UKCAT as a '2 hour guessing game' then you have an answer for your low score.

However, this is not the end of the world. You just need to apply smartly. And possibly do BMAT to increase your chances.
Reply 2
check the ukcat requirements

yes you have a chance to get to the interview because my friends got around that and got into kings , nottingham, southampton etc..

just that your personal statement will have to be strong now and when you get interviews you have to be a strong candidate

alternatively you can enter medicine through clearing or take a gap year and reapply , its never the end! even if you dont make it you have the experience anyways :smile: always give a shot
UKCAT isnt everything. And it certainly isn't your whole application.

Either apply to Unis like Bristol who put less emphasis on UKCAT and more on your PS, or forget your application to Medicine for this year, work your butt off to get the best grades you can - then retake UKCAT next summer, and apply for Medicine next year for 2019 start.

If you really want to be a doctor then waiting 12 months wont be a big issue.
Original post by Nottie
Well if you treated UKCAT as a '2 hour guessing game' then you have an answer for your low score.

However, this is not the end of the world. You just need to apply smartly. And possibly do BMAT to increase your chances.

Oh I revised for the ukcat don't get me wrong I revised like hell for a good month did questions the 1250 question book ect.. bought medify the list goes on! I didn't make this clear cause I don't want to ramble on how I revised and didn't get good. On the day it was tough, I got nervous and ran out of time so that is how it turned out to be a guessing game.
So do you have any like suggestions to what unis I should apply to it would really be helpful! :smile:
Original post by qam

alternatively you can enter medicine through clearing

Medicine is very, very rarely in Clearing and when it is, you can imagine the competition for the handful of possible places. Nightmare. This certainly isnt to be considered as an application strategy.
Reply 6
Original post by seventyseven77
Oh I revised for the ukcat don't get me wrong I revised like hell for a good month did questions the 1250 question book ect.. bought medify the list goes on! I didn't make this clear cause I don't want to ramble on how I revised and didn't get good. On the day it was tough, I got nervous and ran out of time so that is how it turned out to be a guessing game.
So do you have any like suggestions to what unis I should apply to it would really be helpful! :smile:

I can tell you to not go for Nottingham or Newcastle.
Other than that, you have to judge how good your application is in other areas and see what your biggest strength is
Reply 7
Hiya :smile: i was really intrigued about the southampton bit. I lost all hy hope of getting into Southapton as I only achieved 610 b1 for my ukcat . Revised for two weeks due to extenuating circumstance . I got 6A* 1 A and 2 Bs for gcses. AS level AAAc and predictions of AAAA in bio chem maths and history . Plenty of relevant work experiences and extra curriculars as well. Do I have any chance getting into any uniii?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending