The Student Room Group

Parents forcing me to do Law

So for a while I have considered applying for Law, however recently I changed my mind, as I realised I would rather do another degree first and then do a Law conversion, but my parents are against this and are forcing me to apply for Law. Not only this, but they are forcing me to apply to Oxford, even though I KNOW I don't have the grades, and besides I don't want to go. So now I have to write a personal statement in the space of a few days, and I don't have the grades for the universities I want to go to if I apply for Law. It has just been stressing me out so much, because I thought I had everything figured out and then my parents had to come and ruin everything. They know I want to do a conversion, and they know that I had basically sorted what and where I wanted to apply. They have this idea in their heads that the only useful degrees are Law and Medicine, and every other subject is 'soft'. It is driving me crazy, and my parents are not the type of people I want to argue with because they can be crazy, but then again I really don't want to do what they're telling me to do. I know that if I say no they will go mental, plus they will be super disapointed in me, and I know they already are disappointed in me and it makes me feel like crap so I don't want to make it worse, but I want to have a good time at uni and be satisfied with my course. Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by Sunset891
So for a while I have considered applying for Law, however recently I changed my mind, as I realised I would rather do another degree first and then do a Law conversion, but my parents are against this and are forcing me to apply for Law. Not only this, but they are forcing me to apply to Oxford, even though I KNOW I don't have the grades, and besides I don't want to go. So now I have to write a personal statement in the space of a few days, and I don't have the grades for the universities I want to go to if I apply for Law. It has just been stressing me out so much, because I thought I had everything figured out and then my parents had to come and ruin everything. They know I want to do a conversion, and they know that I had basically sorted what and where I wanted to apply. They have this idea in their heads that the only useful degrees are Law and Medicine, and every other subject is 'soft'. It is driving me crazy, and my parents are not the type of people I want to argue with because they can be crazy, but then again I really don't want to do what they're telling me to do. I know that if I say no they will go mental, plus they will be super disapointed in me, and I know they already are disappointed in me and it makes me feel like crap so I don't want to make it worse, but I want to have a good time at uni and be satisfied with my course. Any advice would be appreciated.

Asian parents I presume?
Original post by The RAR
Asian parents I presume?

Nope
Reply 3
I'm doing law (first year) at QMUL.
Camping library 6 hrs a day after lectures, seminars and tutorials...

Ultimately, you should do decide.

Just do it. Don't put any effort in and just copy and paste the PS since Oxford isn't a motive.
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
Just do it. Don't put any effort in and just copy and paste the PS since Oxford isn't a motive.

Yeah but I want to apply to university this year, just for another subject.
Yeah but I want to apply to university this year, just for another subject.

Then apply for another subject - it's that simple. Your parents might whine and not talk to you for a few days but the tension will eventually break so it's all good at the end of the cold war between your parents.
From OP's post- it is clear that doing Law as an undergrad is not what you want to do and coupled with the lack of the necessary grades so the decision is quite clear . You know what you need to do or what is best for you ? I am going to blunt , your 17/18 ,your not a child - you can't let your parents dictate your undergrad degree choice.TBS this is your life - do what is in your best interests ,not what your parents should think you do. If i was you i would apply to the the course that you have your mind on and try to explain to your parents why this is the most logical and best choice for you ?

1. Explain clearly to them in a logical manner
- I am applying to this Course because it is the best route to do law for me
- Point 1 - Doing a Law conversion course is known and accepted route into becoming a practicing lawyers and all major firms (List some accept this entry route)
Point 2 - If i did Law undergrad i would struggle as i lack passion for the subject thus most likely achieve a poor result and this would be detrimental in getting a good job and my future career and would also make me very unhappy and negatively effect my personal health.
Point 3 - Explain why you have had a change of heart as it shows indecisiveness and that your committed to your current degree choice and the merits of that particular degree
Point 4 - Ask a teacher or respected family friend-ideally a lawyer and ask for their opinion
Point 5 - Ensure you remain civil with your parents and your parents want what best for you , granted they are not handling this situation well ,acknowledge the intention behind their actions.
Out of interest what is the degree that you would like to do instead of law ? Good Luck
Original post by -Anon 101
From OP's post- it is clear that doing Law as an undergrad is not what you want to do and coupled with the lack of the necessary grades so the decision is quite clear . You know what you need to do or what is best for you ? I am going to blunt , your 17/18 ,your not a child - you can't let your parents dictate your undergrad degree choice.TBS this is your life - do what is in your best interests ,not what your parents should think you do. If i was you i would apply to the the course that you have your mind on and try to explain to your parents why this is the most logical and best choice for you ?

1. Explain clearly to them in a logical manner
- I am applying to this Course because it is the best route to do law for me
- Point 1 - Doing a Law conversion course is known and accepted route into becoming a practicing lawyers and all major firms (List some accept this entry route)
Point 2 - If i did Law undergrad i would struggle as i lack passion for the subject thus most likely achieve a poor result and this would be detrimental in getting a good job and my future career and would also make me very unhappy and negatively effect my personal health.
Point 3 - Explain why you have had a change of heart as it shows indecisiveness and that your committed to your current degree choice and the merits of that particular degree
Point 4 - Ask a teacher or respected family friend-ideally a lawyer and ask for their opinion
Point 5 - Ensure you remain civil with your parents and your parents want what best for you , granted they are not handling this situation well ,acknowledge the intention behind their actions.
Out of interest what is the degree that you would like to do instead of law ? Good Luck

Thank you so much for the advice! And I want to apply for Philosophy and Politics:smile:
I felt pressured to apply to law last year also. I wish I had applied to something I actually enjoyed last year, now I'm in a gap year and re-applying. Before choosing a gap year I read a lot of law books (around 15 over the summer) to basically force myself to like it, I also attended quite a few law lectures at Warwick. It was a tough decision especially after having offers from LSE, UCL and a KCL scholarship. But, eventually, I came to the conclusion I find law the dryest and most tedious subject/vocation I've encountered. I think the fact that 50% of lawyers don't do a degree in law speaks for itself. If you convert you can have the merits of law as a job, without the drawbacks of it as a degree.
(edited 6 years ago)
Thank you so much for the advice! And I want to apply for Philosophy and Politics:smile:

1. Have you researched this course thoroughly ? - Show proof you have and have you put some serious consideration into this course ?
2. Why do this course instead of UG Law ?
3. If this course you have chosen is the best route for you take then do so however you must weight this up and i would refrain from my previous post where i said this is the best option ? This may be misleading as i am not fully aware of the all facts - and I would you strongly urge and caution you to take all advice you receive online with a grain of salt - as they tend to be form unqualified strangers like myself

4. Do you enjoy Philosophy enough to study it for 3 years ?
5. Do you think you suited to doing Philosophy
6. Getting good A Level Grades is a necessary pre req to enter the bigger firms if i recall and going to a good uni makes getting said jobs at firms easier to achieve
7. Whilst studying Law at Uni is not needed to become a lawyer you should ask your self why you no longer like the prospect of doing Law at UG ?
8. How many lawyers have you spoken to, how much work experince have you done , can you honsetly say you have throughly reserached what Law entails and if ultimarely you would enjoy and thrive in it

- Finally i do not mean to come off as patronising but offer my honest viewpoint .
- To ensure clarity on a matter of this depth i would speak to your career adviser , your sixth form and perhaps arrange a meeting ?
- Do not let my opinion or those of others sway to make an decision - you MUST come to your own conclusion and To ensure clarity on a matter of this significance i would speak to your career adviser , your sixth form and perhaps arrange a meeting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending