The Student Room Group

Do you feel mentally healthy?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SCIENCE :D
Felt like S**t for about 4 years tbh. I just try and get on with task at hand.
:console:
Original post by 04MR17
Thank you for sharing this with us:sadnod: If you haven't already please feel free to use the Mental health forum to share your experiences and seek advice. The community there are incredibly supportive.:h:

I would encourage you to speak with your college MH support:yes: if you're having difficulties with your MH and your studies.:yes:

Thank you, I'll definitely check it out :yep:

I know. You're right, I should speak to someone but I just can't bring myself to do it :redface:
Original post by MrsMars
Thank you, I'll definitely check it out :yep:

I know. You're right, I should speak to someone but I just can't bring myself to do it :redface:
Well you seemed to have brought yourself to rep me at 5 in the morning (yes I've been online all night:tongue:) we can talk more in the MH forum or somewhere else if you wish, via VMs maybe? I'm conscious not to go too far off-topic on this thread, even if it is in chat... What I want to know is why can't you bring yourself to do it? For a lot of people this is a fear of what might happen... but we can talk more about that once I know.:wink:
Original post by 04MR17
Well you seemed to have brought yourself to rep me at 5 in the morning (yes I've been online all night:tongue:) we can talk more in the MH forum or somewhere else if you wish, via VMs maybe? I'm conscious not to go too far off-topic on this thread, even if it is in chat... What I want to know is why can't you bring yourself to do it? For a lot of people this is a fear of what might happen... but we can talk more about that once I know.:wink:

Ah, it wasn't 5am where I am :mmm:

That's fine by me, wherever you'd like to transfer is cool with me :lol:
Sure :redface:
I don't feel mentally healthy at school. And the school counselor at my school doesn't even respond when you send her an email. But luckily it isn't anything majorly serious for me (anymore) so I can get by without one.
No, I don't. But what can I do? People don't realise how stressful and depressing it is for students to have to go to uni, study, do a part time job, study more and then repeat without any time to do things we actually enjoy. We are human beings not robots everybody needs time to relax but unfortunately there is always something causing us stress and we are told to accept it because it's "just what we have to do."
I used to suffer from quite severe depression and anxiety and although I've recovered for the most part, I still have some days where I struggle. School was terrible for me - no support from anyone and a lot of pressure on my parents to do better as I was failing almost all my A Levels. University was also difficult but I had wonderful support from the wellbeing service, I was put on meds, and had loads of counselling with a huge team working together to keep me safe and well.

Now I'm working and although my job isn't technically difficult, it can be very stressful, especially when we're understaffed. I recently called in sick as I was put on 4 close shifts in a row, causing arguments with my partner as working late means I have to walk home on my own at night. This, combined with how exhausting and stressful my job is, meant that I had to call in sick cause I felt like I was relapsing. I don't get a chance to eat at work because it's so busy and we're not given any kind of structured break so I'm constantly tired and losing weight and energy. I always feel like because I'm kind and a very hard worker, I'm taken advantage of and staff higher up have no problem abusing that. I'm getting better shifts at the moment and more days off, which is thankful as I'm now physically ill and trying to get better ASAP.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by BlinkyBill
Tuesday 10th October is World Mental Health Day.

This year, theme is 'workplace wellbeing,' so we're asking you...

Do you feel mentally healthy at school, college, uni or work?

Is there enough focus on wellbeing? Do you know what to do when you don't feel mentally healthy?

What does your school, college, uni or workplace do to support wellbeing?

Yes; yes; yes / not applicable; plenty. :smile:
I honestly think teachers need to realise how much pressure affects their students. I have a teacher telling me I failed and disappointed him but he doesn't know the day i took the exam I felt terrible like I had the worst migraine and felt faint and was shaking. A lot of teachers saying we should be getting 8/9's but they've don't realise that we have to balance our exams out and prioritise. I've had some many panic attacks in class becuase I feel dumb becuase the teachers expect me to know everything. Half the time in the classes I organise my desk to help calm me down and help me focus but then others in me class come and mess it up and make fun of me for organising things.

Teachers should learn not everyone is naturally smart and some need extra help.
(edited 6 years ago)
generally no, my school does try to do things to help like the counsellor and stuff but it doesn't really work, and it was more detrimental than anything for me, so im kind of discouraged from getting help from school now, even though ive been like this for 2 years (depression, exam/school stress, social anxiety)
Not at all :frown: Feeling more lonely than ever. Don't talk to my housemates, and it's so awkward being around them and we are having problems here and there. Only a few people that I talk to at uni. Since i've been here my anxiety as gotten worse.
I'm fine now, but had mh issues during my gcses which really wasn't helped by an assembly each day with a countdown to exams (to the second!) and it being strongly emphasised that this was the most important thing in our lives ever.
Oh and the headteacher walking into a timed French coursework session and speaking Spanish for like 10 mins while preaching to us about how every second is important and whatever other bs she felt like spewing.

There needs to be far more focus on mental well-being in both how we approach the curriculum and how exams and things are talked about.
I think mental health should be talked about in pshce (or whatever it is now) and that teachers should have some basic training in recognising MH issues and what to do about it. I also believe school should stop stressing kids out so damn much.
I'm willing to bet that MH problems are just as prevalent in children and teens as abuse is (I would be hunting statistics, but my internet is naff). Abuse is seen as a big issue and rightly so, but MH problems are too. Also, recognising mental issues would be a stepping stone to recognising emotional abuse.

School needs to aid social and emotional development as well as educational, but if anything it's hindering them. That's not okay and needs changing.
Why is there no ‘always’ option? Are you suggesting that no person can feel mentally healthy at all times? :wink:
IMPORTANT QUESTION,
If you caused someone to have mental health problems (e.g. was rude to them, mean or something) and affected their lives, and you can't go back to say sorry because you cant contact the person etc. I'm kinda worried and can't focus so I have a question
Will you be forgiven by God if you repent? Basically and you can't go back to say sorry or help the person recover.

Mental health issues is dangerous and important and can affect someone's life, which is why I feel really down about it however, unfortunately can't go back. So even if it has affected the other person's life, if I truly regret and am I allowed to smile and enjoy my life? Even if the other person might still be suffering BECAUSE of YOU, but you do sincerely regret what you have done to the person?

And what if the person ends up committing suicide due to your actions? But you do really regret it (what if at the time that was your intention to harm the person and your intentions were bad and you wanted it to happen but now you really do regret it sincerely)

Only answer if you know,
i asked a few friends and all of them said Allah will forgive any sin if you truly regret it but i just want to make sure
especially because mental health is so important and if someone if suffering from it they will be in so much pain and sadness.. therefore
i'm wondering if God will forgive you if you caused someone to be in that state and what if that person will end up killing themselves

only answer if your religious
Reply 54
This is a very important topic to consider because mental health is equally important as physical health. if you are mentally depressed then all other health problems follow. so keep your mental health fit stay fit.
Nope. But unfortunately those are the cards I've been dealt. I'm working through it bit by bit, and a-levels aren't really helping due to being stressful. But as I've said, I'm working through it, just taking it one day at a time. If I can make it out of bed, it's a good day, and if I can't that's okay, because we're allowed to have bad days, we don't have to always try and be sunshine and rainbows.
To my fellow mental health sufferers, good luck with your journey and please don't fall into the internet web of 'Mental health is cool, I don't want to get better', it's a toxic mentality to have.
And to people not dealing with mental health, may you never have to go through it, and please support those around you who encounter these problems.
Original post by Life_peer
Why is there no ‘always’ option? Are you suggesting that no person can feel mentally healthy at all times? :wink:

Exactly what I was going to say.

I'm an 'always' response.
Original post by MorgzC

To my fellow mental health sufferers, good luck with your journey and please don't fall into the internet web of 'Mental health is cool, I don't want to get better', it's a toxic mentality to have

:lolwut: there are people with legitimate mental illnesses that actually think that??!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Sabertooth
:lolwut: there are people with legitimate mental illnesses that actually think that??!

Unfortunately so. There's been a few tomes Ive seen on e.g. tumblr, people with mental illnesses using it as some form of 'aethstetic' to gain followers and stuff. Then their followers start to think the same and refuse to get help because thats they're "brand". Its such a toxic way of thinking but unfortunately it happens.
Original post by MorgzC
Unfortunately so. There's been a few tomes Ive seen on e.g. tumblr, people with mental illnesses using it as some form of 'aethstetic' to gain followers and stuff. Then their followers start to think the same and refuse to get help because thats they're "brand". Its such a toxic way of thinking but unfortunately it happens.

I've had depression and also have current stuff going on and you could offer me either perfect mental health or all of Mark Zuckerberg's money and I'd take the recovery. Who the **** gives a **** about followers when they're suffering like this?

Quick Reply

Latest