The Student Room Group

made a mistake on the till - kinda worried :/

so basically where i work people buy coffees and they can get these loyalty cards, every time they buy a coffee, we stamp the card and when they get enough stamps they get a coffee free, someone came in to buy 4 coffees, i put it on the till and they had a fully stamped card so i put that through so they could get one of the coffees free, so the prices adds up to 3 coffees and the till opens, at this point i was supposed to take the cash the customer gave but at the time i thought only one of the coffees went through so i closed the till and put 3 coffees thru the till again and then took the money, now i've realised the till was short so i'm worried if i'll get in trouble. I made other mistakes in the till before where i type in the wrong cash given but still give them their change but then it probably doesn't add up in the till, however i've never gotten in trouble for these before, do you think i'll get in trouble for this mistake i made today? :/
Genuine mistake. Relax. Just tell your manager.
Reply 2
Original post by Abed1993
Genuine mistake. Relax. Just tell your manager.

what if i don't mention anything about it?
I've worked in a shop for 2 years and still usually make 1/2 till mistakes each day I work. I just leave a note in the till and it's absolutely fine - I don't know if I've ever missed a mistake (so the till is wrong) but I'm sure I will have and never got in trouble. If I were you, I'd just tell your boss you're really sorry but you realised what you did and I'm honestly sure they will be not annoyed!:smile:
I work in retail and I've made mistakes before. Because it's just coffee, the till won't be short a huge amount of money. Where I used to work, if the till was down more than £5, then we investigated it. I'm sure it'll be fine, but I would mention it to your boss just to be sure.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
what if i don't mention anything about it?

Honesty is always the best policy, particularly when you're in a position of trust.

You made a mistake; tell the manager so they know why the till was short.

Otherwise it starts to look like money is going missing from the till.

And pay more attention next time!
You should mention it to your manager. It's unlikely you'll get in trouble for making a genuine mistake, but you could end up in a lot of trouble if you don't say anything and they think you've been stealing from the till.
Reply 7
Original post by Cxletteee
I've worked in a shop for 2 years and still usually make 1/2 till mistakes each day I work. I just leave a note in the till and it's absolutely fine - I don't know if I've ever missed a mistake (so the till is wrong) but I'm sure I will have and never got in trouble. If I were you, I'd just tell your boss you're really sorry but you realised what you did and I'm honestly sure they will be not annoyed!:smile:

ok, i'll tell my manager tomorrow, thank you :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by DrawTheLine
I work in retail and I've made mistakes before. Because it's just coffee, the till won't be short a huge amount of money. Where I used to work, if the till was down more than £5, then we investigated it. I'm sure it'll be fine, but I would mention it to your boss just to be sure.

the 3 coffees came to more than £5, but i'll tell my manager, hopefully she doesn't get mad
Reply 9
Original post by martin7
Honesty is always the best policy, particularly when you're in a position of trust.

You made a mistake; tell the manager so they know why the till was short.

Otherwise it starts to look like money is going missing from the till.

And pay more attention next time!

that's true, i'll let my manager know tomorrow
Original post by sleepysunshine
You should mention it to your manager. It's unlikely you'll get in trouble for making a genuine mistake, but you could end up in a lot of trouble if you don't say anything and they think you've been stealing from the till.

that's true, don't wanna be accused of stealing, will let my manager know
Original post by Anonymous
ok, i'll tell my manager tomorrow, thank you :smile:

Honestly I'm sure your manager won't be annoyed as it's not a big mistake and you will have admitted to it - yes, they may not even notice and you could get away with it but it's easier to put your mind at rest and just admit it:smile: and if your manager realised and you didn't admit it it'd be worse
Original post by Cxletteee
Honestly I'm sure your manager won't be annoyed as it's not a big mistake and you will have admitted to it - yes, they may not even notice and you could get away with it but it's easier to put your mind at rest and just admit it:smile: and if your manager realised and you didn't admit it it'd be worse

yeah that's true
Hide the mistake
Don't tell anyone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending