The Student Room Group

My mum left Islam at 40 years old. AMA.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by Mythirdleg
GM! Sorry I don't know the answer to that question
With all due respect, it's probably a good idea to know what you're talking about before you start making unsupported assertions.
Just a thought.
lol - oh love you too dearest. 21st in the country lmao! Woohoo - you trying to impress me that with your qualifications - you'll be brain surgeon, rocket scientist or find the evolutionary reason for our existence :-)

I never said that followers of religions should not use their brains to form their opinions. I'm trying to tell you in the most subtle way possible - that some people believe that.

You're such a Ledge lol

that's not something I care about at all lol, you're the one who so irrelevantly decided to bring it up. also, I don't think you're anyone one would seek to impress lmao

ok. so you suggested that discussing issues within Islam was futile because followers believe that they shouldn't question what is written in the Quran as they believe it's the word of God. ok. you're not Muslim and I asked about your view about the domestic violence passage (and other clearly inhumane verses) since you were here, to which you refused to respond to, or worse, condemn in any way shape or form. Why? You're not a Muslim so it's okay for you to question 'the words of God' ?
Original post by QE2
Says the person who's still a bank clerk in their mid-thirties! lol

lmao oh wow
BTW - the hitch is probably better at making arguments or debates than you. Just a thought lol

honey, you haven't made a single valid or relevant point in this discussion since you've been here - I think the time has come for you to leave x
Original post by wonderuss
lmao oh wow

Nah in IT babe. Logic, maths etc! All interesting stuff - happy to discuss ;-)
Hey :-)! Who cares? Arguments of this kind are all futile (especially religion). All you have is one person saying that they believe X and then another person to believes Y. You can't say X is better than Y or Y is better than X. That's what I mean by futile. Belief/Faith by definition is to accept something without proof?

But the questions I've asked aren't about belief/faith. I asked about particular verses written in the Quran that I think are important to talk about and bring awareness that they are wrong, by all definitions.
Nah in IT babe. Logic, maths etc! All interesting stuff - happy to discuss ;-)

Ah right - I think it'd be best if you stayed in your field of maths, then. You don't have much value outside it.
But the questions I've asked aren't about belief/faith. I asked about particular verses written in the Quran that I think are important to talk about and bring awareness that they are wrong, by all definitions.

Why are you only picking only them out for? There's loads of postive why focus upon the negatives only?
Original post by MiszShortee786
Why are you only picking only them out for? There's loads of postive why focus upon the negatives only?

That's the issue - there are indeed positives in the Quran and then negatives straight after. This is what I meant by contradictory.

Also, the problem is, you can't just ignore the fact the negatives exist in your religion and then go on to call your religion one of peace and beauty. You have to acknowledge every part of it. Do you see where I'm coming from?
Everyone has their own definitions and standards.

But there are some things that are universally and unquestionably wrong. For example, domestic violence, killing those who aren't members of your religion, etc etc. Don't you agree?
Thanks

I actually already read your thread at the time and I agreed with everything you said :smile:

That's the issue - there are indeed positives in the Quran and then negatives straight after. This is what I meant by contradictory.

Also, the problem is, you can't just ignore the fact the negatives exist in your religion and then go on to call your religion one of peace and beauty. You have to acknowledge every part of it. Do you see where I'm coming from?

Just focus upon the postive and you won't have to question the contradiction. We will only truly find out when we pass away so why questions elements that you would never get an answer for in this world?
LOL ...

Can't be bothered arguing with someone who has much intellect and cognitive intelligence as an amoeba at the bottom of my pond.

night

It's usually that muslims and Islam apologists resort to personal attacks when they don't really have an argument. And you don't really come off as a mature person either.

Are you a convert to Islam? What are your religious beliefs?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MiszShortee786
Why are you focusing upon the negatives? I am not concerned purley because I do not question my religion unlike you.

Just to let you know it's not irrelevant. To be honest the way the description of the rivers of milk comes in the Sahih sitaa would excite anyone but you.

By the ways you still have not answered my question.

And FYI it's actually interesting when you delve into it. You would never be able to delve really deep due to your ignorance.

I'm sorry but the idea of sitting around lazily in some garden all day and night does not appeal to me at all. This is the reason why Jannah did not appeal to me in any way when I was Muslim. I am not a fan of gluttony; I do not want to just sit around, stuffing myself with food and drink. I don't care for palaces made of pearls and diamonds; I'm not that materialistic. I don't want to become some sort of bot, a shadow of my former self. I would never be OK with my husband sleeping with other women, and I would never be able to watch people being tortured in Hell while I sit on some throne and laugh at them. Yet that is how all of the believing women will be in Jannah. No substance, no diverse personalities, just more of the same every day.

My idea of Heaven would be the ability to travel anywhere I want without restrictions. To learn about all of the different cultures and languages, and to experience various adventures. Jannah was written about to appeal to 6th century Arabs because their world was a lot more simple and restricted.
Original post by Robby2312
If anything the media is largely in favour of islam. Every time some muslim commits a terrorist crime the leaders of western countries go out of there way to say that islam is a peaceful religion.And no I don't understand arabic but you clearly understand nothing of science.

No.

This is wrong, only SOME educated Western countries back up Muslims after a hate crime is acted out by ISIS. ISIS is a very very small percentage of Muslims and the religion should not be targeted because ISIS are ****ed up and not true followers of Islam. Therefore, many people feel the need to get behind Muslims and protecting INNOCENT Muslims from being targeted because of ISIS’ idiotic behaviour that they get backlashed for. Additionally, I have never heard anyone say that Muslims are favoured, it honestly made me laugh. The media can’t wait to label and discriminate blacks and Muslims, yet when a Caucasian commits the same crime, the media can’t wait to describe all the work that they have done and the reason that they committed that crime is because they were once bullied when they were 3 years old. Lay off with the ******** mate, because when Stephen Paddock's harmed 500 bloody people, the word ‘terrorist’ was not used once.

Digsusting, racist society.
Original post by QE2
I hope you've got an account with your printer because you'll be needing these on a regular basis. Oh, and there have been a lot more than two of these shindigs!

Anyway, didn't you know that anyone who leaves Islam was never a real Muslim anyway? Come on! That's basic Islamic Apologetics 101.

I like Domino's.

Wtf? This is my second one, thank you.
I do, actually, thanks for asking. Brb making a good few copies to send out for you.

That's good, I like Domino's too actually :h:
Original post by QE2
I have no problem with eating halal food, and often do.

More irony. This time accusing me of restrictive and discriminatory practices when it is actually you who consider it "inapropriate" to eat non-halal food!
The whole idea of a Muslim mocking a non-Muslim over their restrictive eating rules is actually pretty hilarious! Did it not occur to you when you thought about it?

:lol:
To be honest, 'experience of Islam' is irrelevant here. Islam is what it is and what is stated in the Quran is what is meant, and I've wholeheartedly decided to leave the religion upon the basis of what is written in the Quran.

I'm sorry you could not find peace in Islam, I feel sorry for you because I would be lost without it.
All the best for the future because you're going to need it.
Original post by stressedteen
No.

This is wrong, only SOME educated Western countries back up Muslims after a hate crime is acted out by ISIS. ISIS is a very very small percentage of Muslims and the religion should not be targeted because ISIS are ****ed up and not true followers of Islam. Therefore, many people feel the need to get behind Muslims and protecting INNOCENT Muslims from being targeted because of ISIS’ idiotic behaviour that they get backlashed for. Additionally, I have never heard anyone say that Muslims are favoured, it honestly made me laugh. The media can’t wait to label and discriminate blacks and Muslims, yet when a Caucasian commits the same crime, the media can’t wait to describe all the work that they have done and the reason that they committed that crime is because they were once bullied when they were 3 years old. Lay off with the ******** mate, because when Stephen Paddock's harmed 500 bloody people, the word ‘terrorist’ was not used once.

Digsusting, racist society.

I'm not a fan of the religion but I agree that it's nonsense to say that Muslims are favoured and get special treatment. Could you imagine a political party in a European country rising to prominence, proposing to expel all Jews or Hindus from the country if it gets voted into power and getting away with it? I think not.
Original post by Eunomia
I'm not a fan of the religion but I agree that it's nonsense to say that Muslims are favoured and get special treatment. Could you imagine a political party in a European country rising to prominence, proposing to expel all Jews or Hindus from the country if it gets voted into power and getting away with it? I think not.

Muslims are massively oppressed and the media are so quick to blame 1.8 billion people innocent Muslims, for 20,000 idiotic ISIS members. So thank you for being educated and agreeing.
Whoop-de-do. Congratulations 👏🏼 Now let’s move on with our lives, shall we? No need to dwell over it.

Quick Reply

Latest