The Student Room Group

Absence in uni

So...
I've had a family holiday booked for a while now but I'm worried about what i'll be missing at uni. I'm studying speech therapy and we have been told attendance is important. This is my first year and I will be missing 5 days, a total of 19 hours lecture/seminar time. I'm stuck with what to do.. should I just miss out on my family holiday or go and write an email to my personal advisor? I can work from where i'll be staying as i'll have wifi. I really don't want to miss seeing my family as theres a big group of us and they live far away, some are coming from Australia.
What are your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lilly182
So...
I've had a family holiday booked for a while now but I'm worried about what i'll be missing at uni. I'm studying speech therapy and we have been told attendance is important. This is my first year and I will be missing 5 days, a total of 19 hours lecture/seminar time. I'm stuck with what to do.. should I just miss out on my family holiday or go and write an email to my personal advisor? I can work from where i'll be staying as i'll have wifi. I really don't want to miss seeing my family as theres a big group of us and they live far away, some are coming from Australia.
What are your thoughts?

Tricky as this is very uni/subject specific - I'm guessing you are in for at least a week before you go on that holiday, so you have to gauge a few things:

Whether there is any coursework during that week or whether there is any homework that you *need* to hand in

Whether it is important that you go every lecture or seminar (for reasons such as if they don't provide any notes or slides after lectures, in which case you would need a friend to borrow notes from)

At my uni it would not be a problem to be honest, but again that's specific to my course and uni.
So...
What are your thoughts?

It depends on your department's/university's policies. For example my lectures are "compulsory" but there's no register or anything - they're not recorded and the slides are minimal, so I'd struggle, but there would be no consequences from the university if I missed one or a week's worth. But my seminars have a register we have to sign, and if we don't attend (or provide a valid excuse such as illness) then we're called in for a meeting.

If there aren't any registers for your course, you can probably go on your holiday without issue, aside from the work you'll need to catch up on. If there are registers, then you should contact your supervisor/personal advisor and ask about what might be possible.
Reply 3
Ask the university on their policies and explain your situation. I know someone who booked two extremely expensive international holidays about two years ago which can't be re-booked (One to Florida, one to Oz). She's going to miss about three weeks of her Occupational Therapy degree. I don't know if she's asked/told her university yet.

On my university course, our attendance is recorded every lesson and if we miss more than three hours worth of lessons in a semester we have to see the head of the department.
So...
What are your thoughts?

Do you have a handbook with information about attendance? Because my understanding is for NHS courses you have to attend x number of hours of theory and placement in order to qualify.
Reply 5
Depends what type of course it is, NHS then you can’t miss them.

However, with others I suppose you could catch later in your own time. Are you in 5 days a week?

At my university it wouldn’t be that much of a problem, you may need friends notes to help you out. Do you have anyone who can lend you their notes for that week?
Reply 6
Thanks for all replies. I've decided the best thing to do is unfortunately miss out on the holiday this time round. I would miss out on so much work and they're asking for '100% attendance' (even though its unlikely everyone would manage this the amount of flu currently going round!) Luckily I don't lose out on money etc.
Reply 7
Thanks for all replies. I've decided the best thing to do is unfortunately miss out on the holiday this time round. I would miss out on so much work and they're asking for '100% attendance' (even though its unlikely everyone would manage this the amount of flu currently going round!) Luckily I don't lose out on money etc.

Personally, I would go on the holiday.

I doubt you would miss THAT much in one week.

However, it’s your choice.
Reply 8
Original post by Ishax
Personally, I would go on the holiday.

I doubt you would miss THAT much in one week.

However, it’s your choice.

Oh no, don't tempt me! The problem is I'm studying speech & language therapy and we meet our 'conversation partners' that week (placement pretty much). It's a bit risky and I would just worry when I'm away what i'd be missing as it's already so intense :frown:
Reply 9
Oh no, don't tempt me! The problem is I'm studying speech & language therapy and we meet our 'conversation partners' that week (placement pretty much). It's a bit risky and I would just worry when I'm away what i'd be missing as it's already so intense :frown:

You could speak to your tutors about it? I guess your course structure is different to mine. I don’t have placements.
Reply 10
Original post by Ishax
You could speak to your tutors about it? I guess your course structure is different to mine. I don’t have placements.

Yeah, and it is NHS. You have to do X amount of hours. But maybe I could chat with my personal advisor anyway and see what she says. Thanks:biggrin:
Yeah, and it is NHS. You have to do X amount of hours. But maybe I could chat with my personal advisor anyway and see what she says. Thanks:biggrin:

In that case, don’t speak to your personal advisor. It’s a NHS course, you have to do the job placement. It’s mandatory.
Original post by Ishax
In that case, don’t speak to your personal advisor. It’s a NHS course, you have to do the job placement. It’s mandatory.

I think they have a couple of days of leeway, I'm not sure if it's as much as 5 days though.
Tell them you have the shits.
Original post by Helloworld_95
I think they have a couple of days of leeway, I'm not sure if it's as much as 5 days though.

I’m not too sure, as I don’t do NHS course.
Are the lectures not on some kind of online blackboard? My attendence in first year was appalling ( a lot worse than 5 days off!) but I didn't really fall behind
IF it's an NHS course leading to professional registration then study hours make a component of that up, so attendance is usually compulsory.

However, there is sometimes flexibility from some lecturers, but you'll have to ask.
19 Hours of contact for five days? The ****... I know med students with a maximum of twelve.
So...
What are your thoughts?

Well that would be mitigating circumstances this should have been exp,lained to you on the first day of freshers go and have a chat to your tutor he's the one who need to know and can advise you what to do.
Original post by SomeWelshGuy123
19 Hours of contact for five days? The ****... I know med students with a maximum of twelve.

Maybe if they're a first year, anyone into clinicals will be doing 35-40.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending