The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I sent screenshots of this thread to Cambridge University. I’m sure (if they want to look into it, I’m 98% sure they will want too). They will eventually find out who did it.

I hate cheaters. You deserve everything you get.

One day, eventually you will get your karma. I hope your masters is revoked.

I have no sympathy for you.
Original post by amiintrouble
Thanks for replying ... under what circumstances would jail come into play? The University charges for a service i.e. sells knowledge and then based on certain inputs from students tells them how well they understood that knowledge and assess their capacity to create knowledge i.e degree ... I pay for that service but violate the terms of use, service denied, where's the legal case?

I dont believe I mentioned jail?.

I did say theres a good chance you are just a wind up as is quite common for TSR.

If you are indeed a Cambridge graduate, then you can use google. I would think an 8 year old can see what you claim to have done is wrong. If he does tell them then you have big problems, but so would he.
Original post by Ishax
I sent screenshots of this thread to Cambridge University. I’m sure (if they want to look into it, I’m 98% sure they will want too). They will eventually find out who did it.

I sympathize with the sentiment, and I will get what I deserve, that I know. But I also think your 98% is quite high. Most universities don't want to know and delegate the responsibility to the students. Especially with the online format. At the end, without actual proof, there's not much of a case. If they were interested, its not very difficult to id and shut down ghost writing services. They would have done it already if they were interested.
Original post by 999tigger
I dont believe I mentioned jail?.

I did say theres a good chance you are just a wind up as is quite common for TSR.

If you are indeed a Cambridge graduate, then you can use google. I would think an 8 year old can see what you claim to have done is wrong. If he does tell them then you have big problems, but so would he.

Thanks again, I'm intrigued. How would he have problems? He doesn't live in the UK. Has nothing to do with the UK university system, works independently. He just has to provide the proof and disappear. I on the other hand stand to lose a lot as everything after university is pretty much tied to my credentials so I can see the knock on effect. Anyone reading this thread should understand that taking help, of any kind can get one in trouble. Yes, I went overboard and ran with it. My mistake and I will pay the price. Might even voluntarily just give up the degree ..
(edited 6 years ago)
Thanks again, I'm intrigued. How would he have problems? He doesn't live in the UK. Has nothing to do with the UK university system, works independently. He just has to provide the proof and disappear. I on the other hand stand to lose a lot as everything after university is pretty much tied to my credentials so I can see the knock on effect. Anyone reading this thread should understand that taking help, of any kind can get one in trouble. Yes, I went overboard and ran with it. My mistake and I will pay the price. Might even voluntarily just give up the degree ..

Nah, it's too late. You're going straight to the slammer.

I suggest you take some flattering mugshots now, before the police take ones for you to appear on this page.
Reply 25
How did you piss him off that badly for him to want to ruin your life after you broke up.
Or is he just that kinda spiteful person?

And also, in terms of proof, he'd only need evidence for once 'ghost written piece of work' or whatever its called, as a university will often make copies of all their students work and be able to search them quickly
Original post by Ishax

Snide, unsympathetic. Get lost, Ishax. This person has made a really dishonest time in their Uni, but what's it to you? This site is to help people not matter how huge their errors, not to hound them out.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by VirgoStrain
Snide, unsympathetic. Get lost, Ishax. This person has made a really dishonest time in their Uni, but what's it to you? This site is to help people not matter how huge their errors, not to hound them out.

She hasn’t accepted her mistakes though.

She’s trying to make excuses for her actions. If she accepted her mistake and wanted to rectify it, then it would be a different scenario.

I don’t want to help out a cheater who can’t realise her mistake. You’re free to help her out.
Original post by Ishax

She’s trying to make excuses for her actions. If she accepted her mistake and wanted to rectify it, then it would be a different scenario.

I don’t want to help out a cheater who can’t realise her mistake. You’re free to help her out.

You're not obligated to help her, but you have no right to take matters into your own hands and act like the TSR police.
Original post by VirgoStrain
You're not obligated to help her, but you have no right to take matters into your own hands and act like the TSR police.

You do realise universities have accounts on here. They would have found out either way.

Ah well, not my concern.
Original post by Ishax

You are doing a great job at being unhelpful.
Original post by 999tigger
You are doing a great job at being unhelpful.

I’m just responding to people who are quoting me. OP didn’t respond to me, so I’ve left her be.

How am I meant to help a cheater?
You should just be ashamed of yourself to be honest.
ha:2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l: jesus is always watching. If you are not punished in this life you will be in the next.
I'm in a bit of a fix and trying to figure out if I'm in real trouble. I was in a relationship while studying for my masters at Cambridge University. My start wasn't going too good as I am an international student and was overwhelmed by the University's curriculum as English isn't my first language.

He helped me with the English assessment and did the online test for me. Once I got to University, he helped redraft my post for discussion boards and talked me through engaging in a discussion. He also wrote a few of my assignments, a few meaning three. For things he couldn't help with, he hired ghost writing services to complete my assignment. We did use the submissions but also changed a lot of context to make it relevant. We're broken up now and he once mentioned he will send the emails to the university.

My question is, will the university take him seriously since I've already graduated? Do universities entertain complaints of plagiarism for students that graduated 5 years ago?

I am working with a Fortune 500 company now, wondering if that can affect my employment. Will I lose my degree? Can Cambridge University revoke my degree? Do I need a lawyer? or just expect the worst an pray nothing happens?

I know I did something wrong and I have corrected a lot of my mistakes. This has me troubled and I'm wondering if its better to come forward or just keep wondering?

Any advice would be appreciated, for that want to tell me how wrong this is, I know it is but I've done it already. Just struggling with owning up or letting it go.

Im gonna be honest. There is potential to get into a lot of trouble for this!
I hope you don't get into trouble, but really the fate lies on your ex. My question is how much do you trust him, i guess? im sure he too knows the consequences.
Thanks for replying ... under what circumstances would jail come into play? The University charges for a service i.e. sells knowledge and then based on certain inputs from students tells them how well they understood that knowledge and assess their capacity to create knowledge i.e degree ... I pay for that service but violate the terms of use, service denied, where's the legal case?

Your employer has, presumably, hired you based upon your fraudulent academic record. Therefore you defrauded your employer, and when they find out they will fire you and they will sue you. And that's before they seek legal fraud charges against you.

Moreover, as you have represented yourself falsely as a Cambridge graduate, you've brought disgrace upon their institution. They could make an extremely good case against you for damaging their reputation.

So, jail-wise, "just" fraud. Which, if memory serves, is only 3-5 years inside. But in terms of civil actions... oh boy... you'll be lucky if you can afford to breathe by the time they're done with you.
I don't think anyone goes to jail for cheating. Not at University anyway, because you pay for it. You can get denied degree but jail would require that I scammed someone. Here, I scammed myself. Which is bad enough I think.

Really depends what you've done with that fraudulent qualification.

If you've just hung your degree certificate up in your hallway and haven't put it on your CV/mentioned it in any job applications then no, maybe you wouldn't be prosecuted. If you've used it to get a job then yes, you could be prosecuted (and before anyone suggests that the linked case is an isolated one because of the salary involved, google Rhiannon Mackay - someone else who was sent to prison for lying about her A-levels in order to get a job).

If I was in your shoes, I'd probably ignore the threat from the ex as I wouldn't want to risk stirring up more angry feelings that would lead him to actually send those emails. I'd also stop pretending to have a qualification I hadn't earned starting now; if he does decide to drop you in it, it'll look far better if you can say 'I realised the error of my ways independently and stopped using the qualification on my CV' than if you carry on using it up until you're caught.
Reply 37
I'm in a bit of a fix and trying to figure out if I'm in real trouble. I was in a relationship while studying for my masters at Cambridge University. My start wasn't going too good as I am an international student and was overwhelmed by the University's curriculum as English isn't my first language.

He helped me with the English assessment and did the online test for me. Once I got to University, he helped redraft my post for discussion boards and talked me through engaging in a discussion. He also wrote a few of my assignments, a few meaning three. For things he couldn't help with, he hired ghost writing services to complete my assignment. We did use the submissions but also changed a lot of context to make it relevant. We're broken up now and he once mentioned he will send the emails to the university.

My question is, will the university take him seriously since I've already graduated? Do universities entertain complaints of plagiarism for students that graduated 5 years ago?

I am working with a Fortune 500 company now, wondering if that can affect my employment. Will I lose my degree? Can Cambridge University revoke my degree? Do I need a lawyer? or just expect the worst an pray nothing happens?

I know I did something wrong and I have corrected a lot of my mistakes. This has me troubled and I'm wondering if its better to come forward or just keep wondering?

Any advice would be appreciated, for that want to tell me how wrong this is, I know it is but I've done it already. Just struggling with owning up or letting it go.

aight boom. you need to shut tat fools mout, need to dip tat man like Walled dip that chicken. skrrrrraaa.
Ok let me clear a few things up, first of all, the people just arguing with the OP for the mistakes she did and even trying to get her in jail is ridiculous, we are here to help, not prosecute anyone.
And regarding the post, yes I do have to admit what you did was wrong BUT that doesn't mean you are screwed, you graduated 5 years ago and unless your ex-boyfriend has strong evidence to get Cambridge to investigate into this matter nothing is going to happen to you. Cambridge have much better things to do then to take a complaint from some angry dude, I doubt they will bother to investigate one of their graduates who was here 5 years ago.
And besides do they really want to spoil their prestigious name by sniffing out one of their graduates who cheated their way into their degree ages ago? Not worth it if you ask me.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by *pitseleh*
Really depends what you've done with that fraudulent qualification.

If I was in your shoes, I'd probably ignore the threat from the ex as I wouldn't want to risk stirring up more angry feelings that would lead him to actually send those emails. I'd also stop pretending to have a qualification I hadn't earned starting now; if he does decide to drop you in it, it'll look far better if you can say 'I realised the error of my ways independently and stopped using the qualification on my CV' than if you carry on using it up until you're caught.

Yup, that would be the best option if the worst scenario is likely to come.

Latest

Trending

Trending