The Student Room Group

I need eyetests + new glasses every six months abd cant afford it!

Over the past two years my eyesight has weirdmy deteriorated quickly. You're supposed to have your eyes tested every two years and I've needed a test, and new prescription every six months.

I normally try to use a voucher for specsavers but it still comes to £40 a time generally. I've been given no explanation as to why and I quite frankly am really struggling with the costs. A full time student and all my postgrad loan is gone on course fees so I don't have a maintenance loan. I'm trying to get a job but it's taking time.

Can I do anything about this?
Original post by Airfairy
Over the past two years my eyesight has weirdmy deteriorated quickly. You're supposed to have your eyes tested every two years and I've needed a test, and new prescription every six months.

I normally try to use a voucher for specsavers but it still comes to £40 a time generally. I've been given no explanation as to why and I quite frankly am really struggling with the costs. A full time student and all my postgrad loan is gone on course fees so I don't have a maintenance loan. I'm trying to get a job but it's taking time.

Fill in a HC1 form. You may get help with eye tests and vouchers towards glasses.
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
Fill in a HC1 form. You may get help with eye tests and vouchers towards glasses.

I don't :frown: I believe it takes the household income into account rather than just mine
I don't :frown: I believe it takes the household income into account rather than just mine

It only takes yours and that of your partner if you have one. So if you live with your parents or friends, their income is ignored.

Get free eye test vouchers whenever you can (check all the high street brands websites to see if they have any ) then buy glasses online, I got a pair from glasses direct for £25 and they are still going strong for me.

Try going somewhere else because specsavers over subscribe
I think if you get any prescriptions at Boots, they sometimes give out £10 eye test vouchers. (check the paper bag)
Reply 7
Original post by claireestelle
Get free eye test vouchers whenever you can (check all the high street brands websites to see if they have any ) then buy glasses online, I got a pair from glasses direct for £25 and they are still going strong for me.

Zenni Optical is a good site for that. Most of my single vision glasses are from there. Even my recent pair of prescription sunglasses is from there.

Over the past two years my eyesight has weirdmy deteriorated quickly. You're supposed to have your eyes tested every two years and I've needed a test, and new prescription every six months. I normally try to use a voucher for specsavers but it still comes to £40 a time generally. I've been given no explanation as to why and I quite frankly am really struggling with the costs. A full time student and all my postgrad loan is gone on course fees so I don't have a maintenance loan. I'm trying to get a job but it's taking time. Can I do anything about this?
How much do your eyes change? Have you investigated the reason? Has your doctor or optometrists suggested different prescription for up-close and distance?
(edited 6 years ago)

no its your personal income and your partners if you have one and live with them. if you live with your parents they dont look at that

Quick Reply

Latest