The Student Room Group

Vegetarian for a month and ALWAYS TIRED?!?

Hi I recently decided to go vegetarian. It's been a month. For a few weeks I've constantly been tired even though I'm having 9-10 hours sleep each night. Constantly lack studying and 0 motivation to do homework as well as lacking concentration. Why is this?? Been reading about it online.. Am I lacking b12?? Should I be taking b12 vitamins. Thanks 🙏🏿
(edited 6 years ago)
It's totally possible that you may have an iron deficiency - it's relatively common. See your GP, they will most likely give you a blood test to confirm, and then start you on supplements :smile: hope this helps, good luck!
To be honest I am Vegetarian and I am always tired. I have been veggie for 6 years now and have got use to it. I get plenty of sleep and go to bed at sensible hours and all. I always here stories of people staying up late and by 10pm I am shattered. I can totally relate to this.
Reply 3
Original post by nevemarie17
It's totally possible that you may have an iron deficiency - it's relatively common. See your GP, they will most likely give you a blood test to confirm, and then start you on supplements :smile: hope this helps, good luck!

Thanks
Are you getting enough calories?
Reply 5
Original post by Tiger Rag
Are you getting enough calories?

Yeah I eat so much lol
I think the main thing with transitioning to being veggie is to just take a multivitamin - I know when I get lazy with mine I can tell a difference if I'm eating badly that week (just carbs at college etc)

Under a fully balanced diet you shouldn't have issues but let's be real, we're students, it's not always practical.
Reply 7
Original post by nailahjr
Hi I recently decided to go vegetarian. It's been a month. For a few weeks I've constantly been tired even though I'm having 9-10 hours sleep each night. Constantly lack studying and 0 motivation to do homework as well as lacking concentration. Why is this?? Been reading about it online.. Am I lacking b12?? Should I be taking b12 vitamins. Thanks 🙏🏿

Vegetarianism can put you at risk of certain deficiencies. There are multiple possibilities though so go see your doctor to get blood tests done to be sure what you have a deficiency in. You also need to know what scale deficiency you have to know how much supplement to take (again, blood tests will sort that out).

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 8
Don't take any vitamin before a blood test. Do a blood test to find out what is lacking in your nutrition.
Been vegan for over 3 years no problems no supplements.

Quick Reply

Latest