The Student Room Group

Balliol JCR bans Christian group stand at freshers fair

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlexanderHam
This is utter idiocy. The hard-left president of the Balliol JCR banned the Balliol Christian league from putting up a stand at the Freshers Fair out of 'concern' for "potential for harm to freshers".

They said;

They also said that other religions might not have enough members to have their own stands, which would be "unfair" and so they decided to allow a single, 'multi-faith' stand but it would have to be unmanned; no-one would be allowed to be at the stand to answer questions, only leaflets would be permitted.

Now I am a militant atheist, and I am gay. I hold no truck for Christianity, which I believe is a pernicious and false belief system. But this ban was absolute nonsense and it only serves to solidify the belief that the undergraduate left are a bunch of crybaby snowflakes.

http://cherwell.org/2017/10/08/christian-union-banned-from-balliol-freshers-fair/

As a militant atheist this is appalling. While I'm not necessarily against banning religions of hate that promote hatred of other races/religions, my experience of Christian churches at uni is the opposite. Actually they're very smart and polite. All the churches I've met around student areas offer free food, a chat and just answer any questions, never even shoving religion down their throats.

We've had various Protestant, Catholic, Islamic and even a Hindu society come to our student fairs and they've been great.

Ironically, I've had more issues with some of the Christian societies, rather than the churches themselves.
Reply 21
Christians should be fed to lions because they hate the LGBT community. They should have a gladiator stall at the college and kidnap Christians for the arena.
You people might be surprised at how many lefties have graduated from Balliol's humanities and social studies departments, Corbyn's director of communications is one. The Met Commissioner is another, because of services to diversity and equality surely nothing to do with her supervising of the unfortunate events to do with JCM. Further examples if requested, look up a few public institutions if you like.

So... this is nothing new or something to be surprised by. Mere corroboration, all part of their cultural revolution project.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Maker
Christians should be fed to lions because they hate the LGBT community. They should have a gladiator stall at the college and kidnap Christians for the arena.

In that case, so should you. If it's all about hatred there is nothing to separate you. Hatred is hatred, can't be selective about it.

We know the idea is to make it acceptable, to hate the rich, the Tories, capitalism, the middle-aged white bloke and generally anyone who may stand on path to power but no... people who hate anything cannot be trusted with the task of taking clear-headed decisions. Which in turn is why people have to be made to feel hated in order to hate back, so they won't think clearly, by the political agitators, blah, blah, blah...
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by AlexanderHam
.....Despite my atheism, I would not deny that there is a social justice tendency in the teachings of Christianity and in some of its practitioners. However it is clearly not inherent in the religion; many of its most passionate believers are also some of the world's most bigoted, hateful and reactionary individuals. In fact, such people often cite Christianity as justification and driving-force behind their bigotry and regressivism.

Fundamentally, as I outlined above, what matters is whether Christianity is true. None of the positive tendencies you mentioned (compassion for the poor and for society's outcasts, bringing comfort to the afflicted, etc) require Christianity to practice, and in fact one might argue that it is more moral to practice these things because you believe in them for their own sake, because you believe that the poor should be comforted and helped etc, and not because you believe that if you do not do these things you will be punished by a powerful, supernatural being.

The whole of Christ's teachings emphasise you doing the right thing. 'Go, sin no more'.

You say
'I would not deny that there is a social justice tendency in the teachings of Christianity and in some of its practitioners. However it is clearly not inherent in the religion; many of its most passionate believers are also some of the world's most bigoted, hateful and reactionary individuals'.

Look at the lives of those people you say are 'bigoted, hateful and reactionary' individuals, claiming to be Christ followers and label themselves as Christian. If a person isn't living as Christ's example then they are a passionate believer in something else, perhaps their own made up religion which they also like to label as Christianity. The devil is a liar.

You say
'in fact one might argue that it is more moral to practice these things because you believe in them for their own sake, because you believe that the poor should be comforted and helped etc, and not because you believe that if you do not do these things you will be punished by a powerful, supernatural being'

You've got Christianity mixed up with Islam. Once you become a Christian you are set free from living under the curse of trying to redeem yourself. You know you will never be good enough or be able to do enough to earn your salvation. That's God's grace.

You do these things because you want to, not because you have to. You get a new perspective on life, what is valuable and what isn't. Christianity is all about thinking less about yourself and more about others. When you have a religion that forces you to concentrate only on what you can do to ensure personal salvation, to enter paradise then you become more selfish and self centred, concerned with only your own gathering of points to try and get enough to get in.
Reply 25
Original post by Maker

Well the devil is a liar and here is one enormous lie, right here!!!!

How wrong and ill informed you are. Please show me one line of teaching from Jesus that comes anywhere near what you are saying above.

I can 100% guarantee you will not find one.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Maker

Er, I’m Christian. And I most certainly don’t hate the lgbt community.
Would you be assuming that all Christians are the same?
Reply 27
Original post by That Bearded Man
As a militant atheist this is appalling. While I'm not necessarily against banning religions of hate that promote hatred of other races/religions, my experience of Christian churches at uni is the opposite. Actually they're very smart and polite. All the churches I've met around student areas offer free food, a chat and just answer any questions, never even shoving religion down their throats.

We've had various Protestant, Catholic, Islamic and even a Hindu society come to our student fairs and they've been great.

Ironically, I've had more issues with some of the Christian societies, rather than the churches themselves.

I think that possibly the reason for your last comment is that people in societies tend to be young in their faith and are still working their faith out. I'm not trying to make excuses, but the more you understand about your faith and the love of God, the more you realise all God asks you to do is be kind and non-judgemental. Understanding the love of God is like an unfolding revelation.
Reply 28
Original post by Sammylou40
Er, I’m Christian. And I most certainly don’t hate the lgbt community.
Would you be assuming that all Christians are the same?

Isn't it sad how people are so ill informed?
stupid hard lefties, they just can't leave Christians alone!
Original post by Maker

Christians and all religions preach love and kindness, maybe you should read their holy books.
Original post by Racoon
Isn't it sad how people are so ill informed?

Misinformed, more like. But you can see the way it goes, removing any competing ideology from the board is essential to implement the absolute replacing of the going hegemonic culture (the problem) with another (the solution) and hence the anti-religious activism at every level. In this case, the code message is that Christians are the sort of people you may have to insulate yourself from, run for the nearest safe area. Everyone has the right 'not to be exposed to... er, views they may not like'. Cookies and colouring books available for Uni students who may be made to feel they need them. Dolphin noises. All thought of by whom, the Conservative Association?

Walking up to that Christian stall and having a civilized discussion with them is not a good thing, that is the ethos at this Uni and unfortunately in so many others. Healthy discussions on anything are progressively being smothered by the Left. No, they are hateful people so it is perfectly legitimate to hate them back, Banned. Protected by the State, we just need it.

What is frightening is how society as a whole has been smothered too by this blanket already to a very large extent and we seem to have come to regard it all as just stuff that happens. That's where the Left have already got us all by the balls. The myths they peddle are so deeply institutionalized by now that there is no way back. This country will never be able to wipe out the budget deficit by their diktat, young people will go on for all their lives paying the bill. And voting for it too, many Uni students among them. Good thinking, well 'educated'.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by zhog
Misinformed, more like. But you can see the way it goes, removing any competing ideology from the board is essential to implement the absolute replacing of the going hegemonic culture (the problem) with another (the solution) and hence the anti-religious activism at every level. In this case, the code message is that Christians are the sort of people you may have to insulate yourself from, run for the nearest safe area. Everyone has the right 'not to be exposed to... er, views they may not like'. Cookies and colouring books available for Uni students who may be made to feel they need them. Dolphin noises. All thought of by whom, the Conservative Association?

Walking up to that Christian stall and having a civilized discussion with them is not a good thing, that is the ethos at this Uni and unfortunately in so many others. Healthy discussions on anything are progressively being smothered by the Left. No, they are hateful people so it is perfectly legitimate to hate them back, Banned. Protected by the State, we just need it.

What is frightening is how society as a whole has been smothered too by this blanket already to a very large extent and we seem to have come to regard it all as just stuff that happens. That's where the Left have already got us all by the balls. The myths they peddle are so deeply institutionalized by now that there is no way back. This country will never be able to wipe out the budget deficit by their diktat, young people will go on for all their lives paying the bill. And voting for it too, many Uni students among them. Good thinking, well 'educated'.

Very true.
All religious groups should be allowed to have a freshers stall. This is another example of religious discrimination, and is quite embarrassing for such an esteemed institution of study.
Original post by Maker

That statement itself is pretty bigoted, and it is deeply offensive to say that Christians (or any other religious group) "should be fed to lions".

Not all Christians are against the LGBT community. I'm pretty sure you're aware that there are Gay Pastors, and Gay Christians that have weddings officiated within the Church.
Original post by JMR2017
Christians and all religions preach love and kindness, maybe you should read their holy books.

Love for all, hatred for none!
Original post by Golden State
Love for all, hatred for none!

Indeed :smile:
All religious groups should be allowed to have a freshers stall. This is another example of religious discrimination, and is quite embarrassing for such an esteemed institution of study.

Do you think they would ban a Muslim or any other non-Christian stall? They wouldn't because Christianity is part of the established culture the project aims to erase, never mind that other religions can be equally or even more 'homophobic' because their adoption and promotion helps dilute Christianity's historical influence in the first place. So does mass immigration and advocating no restraints on it at all. Who does that?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by JMR2017

Maybe you should judge them by their actions rather than by what they preach.Jesus said that its easier for a camel to pass through the eye of the needle than for a rich man to go to heaven.Yet the pope sits in a palace with an art collection worth billions of dollars.Its no good pointing to holy books if you do not practice what you preach.Likewise the bible might preach love for all but christianitys history towards lgbt people has been anything but loving.

All know religious groups should be allowed to have a freshers stall. However some religious groups are dangerous religious cults that could brain wash young people and should not have stalls at freshers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending