The Student Room Group

Has anyone had really bad learning support in college?

I recently started college in September to study health and social care. I am profoundly deaf and attended a deaf school. I was reassured at meetings over the summer I would have the support I need. On the first day of college my support didn't turn up (a notetaker). The next day they did and I was introduced to my 'support worker'. This is not what I asked for. She took my notes however I found them incredibly hard to read. I also have been unable to follow class discussions and group discussions. Recently I had a meeting and we were saying about an interpreter. My college have said at the end of the month they will have nowhere to get an interpreter from meaning I cannot get one. My notetaker now writes my notes and I get them typed by email late at night the next day. I also do not understand my support worker has she is extremely hard to lipread therefore I can't ask her for help. She has been told to tap me to get my attention but she never does and is constantly talking to me and I have no idea (the girls I sit with tell me). She also tends to stare alot as well.

I have been getting upset lately and not wanting to attend college due to the fact I cannot follow anything. My parents and I feel that I am being discriminated against as another girl who goes to the same college at a different campus and is also profoundly deaf has been given everything she needs. I am really struggling and have been really upset and not wanting to go to college. At the last resort if nothing improves I will have to drop out.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by honor532
I recently started college in September to study health and social care. I am profoundly deaf and attended a deaf school. I was reassured at meetings over the summer I would have the support I need. On the first day of college my support didn't turn up (a notetaker). The next day they did and I was introduced to my 'support worker'. This is not what I asked for. She took my notes however I found them incredibly hard to read. I also have been unable to follow class discussions and group discussions. Recently I had a meeting and we were saying about an interpreter. My college have said at the end of the month they will have nowhere to get an interpreter from meaning I cannot get one. My notetaker now writes my notes and I get them typed by email late at night the next day. I also do not understand my support worker has she is extremely hard to lipread therefore I can't ask her for help. She has been told to tap me to get my attention but she never does and is constantly talking to me and I have no idea (the girls I sit with tell me). She also tends to stare alot as well.

I have been getting upset lately and not wanting to attend college due to the fact I cannot follow anything. My parents and I feel that I am being discriminated against as another girl who goes to the same college at a different campus and is also profoundly deaf has been given everything she needs. I am really struggling and have been really upset and not wanting to go to college. At the last resort if nothing improves I will have to drop out.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Thank you :smile:

I'd raise a complaint with your course advisor as soon as possible. This isn't good enough. Sorry you're going through it.
Reply 2
Original post by Friffinghell
I'd raise a complaint with your course advisor as soon as possible. This isn't good enough. Sorry you're going through it.

That has already been done. Sadly there is no difference. A organisation for the deaf has emailed the head of college a few weeks ago and we are still waiting to hear back. I am staying of college today as I am really upset and stressed out about everything.
That has already been done. Sadly there is no difference. A organisation for the deaf has emailed the head of college a few weeks ago and we are still waiting to hear back. I am staying of college today as I am really upset and stressed out about everything.

Hi, I've moved your thread to Disabled Students where it's more suited.

As well as the course adviser, have you talked to the disability support people?
Reply 4
Original post by Tiger Rag
Hi, I've moved your thread to Disabled Students where it's more suited.

As well as the course adviser, have you talked to the disability support people?

Thank you! And yes I have also done that. They act interested but they are clearly not. If I worked at the learning support department I would make sure that the student has everything they asked for ASAP. I had a old, bulky laptop that smelled that college gave me and it did not work. I am currently also waiting for a new one therefore I am using my personal laptop for assignments and it does not have word, power point etc on it. This meeting was near 3 weeks ago and everything they said they would do has not happened like having smaller group discussions. They are still class discussions that I do not follow and when I get the notes (i usually get at around 10-11pm the next day), I have no idea what they mean as I need to try and remember what they talked about if I was able to follow.

Sorry for the rant! It is really affecting me emotionally.
Sorry for the rant! It is really affecting me emotionally.
Rants are always allowed.:h:

Quick Reply

Latest