The Student Room Group

Brown nosers' and two faced leaches at work

There are so many of them in my workplace, it is unreal.

I get sick and tired of dealing with these people who lick *** for a rubbish minimum wage role in a toxic corporate environment for pay rises 10-20p more than their current hourly salary.

Climbing the greasy pole as they might call it.

I suppose its a symptom of this failing economy also, proliferation of zero hours contracts, and the fact employers don't have to pay over 25's more than £7.50 ph.

I'm a grad working in such a culture, and while I don't intend this to be a permanent fixture, I see so many of these unpleasant people (my co-workers), throwing you under the bus, being spiteful using work policies to make your time miserable, cutting your hours, or simply over-working you (with efforts to get you out the door so they can treat the next person like a piece of meat).

Isn't it disgusting the state of our economy and this government allowing corporations to treat the working classes like this? Not holding multi-interational firms accountable for workers rights. Unions not standing up anymore.

Government giving tax breaks to companies so they can accrue more money for their corp fat cat salaries and pay us peanuts at the bottom. All the while cheating H & S regulations, trying to pull the wool over our eyes saying they care about our wellbeing?
Original post by royal1990
There are so many of them in my workplace, it is unreal.

I get sick and tired of dealing with these people who lick *** for a rubbish minimum wage role in a toxic corporate environment for pay rises 10-20p more than their current hourly salary.

Climbing the greasy pole as they might call it.

I suppose its a symptom of this failing economy also, proliferation of zero hours contracts, and the fact employers don't have to pay over 25's more than £7.50 ph.

I'm a grad working in such a culture, and while I don't intend this to be a permanent fixture, I see so many of these unpleasant people (my co-workers), throwing you under the bus, being spiteful using work policies to make your time miserable, cutting your hours, or simply over-working you (with efforts to get you out the door so they can treat the next person like a piece of meat).

Isn't it disgusting the state of our economy and this government allowing corporations to treat the working classes like this? Not holding multi-interational firms accountable for workers rights. Unions not standing up anymore.

Government giving tax breaks to companies so they can accrue more money for their corp fat cat salaries and pay us peanuts at the bottom. All the while cheating H & S regulations, trying to pull the wool over our eyes saying they care about our wellbeing?

It happens at all levels. Some organisations are better to work at than others. Just find something else or develop a strategy to be less bothered. Pick your battles.
I agree with Tigger. This isn't about what level you work at. Plenty of people in good jobs find themselves in toxic cultures and plenty of people in bottom of the heap jobs get treated very well. I also agree that you have to learn how to shake off some people who you don't like rather than let them ruin your day.
Completely agree. I left my last job because my manager was a lazy, incompetent excuse of a boss who let the rest of us do the hard work on minimum wage whilst she gave herself all the shifts where she could sit on her arse and do nothing. Sometimes she'd go on holiday and me and another girl had to run the workplace by ourselves, working long hours every single day and night with no help, no guidance, without so much as a "thanks" or a bonus. No recognition whatsoever. I actually ended up being unable to walk properly during that as I'd worked so long, so much, my feet were bruised, cut and bleeding. The worst was that when we did functions or big dinners or parties, she'd be the one getting all the praise, all the bottles of wine, all the flowers, when the people who did actually work incredibly hard got nothing. Then my colleague agreed to a promotion and pay rise behind our backs even though I'm older than him and more experienced, I even found a "good luck" card signed from everyone at work and he'd put "thanks for training me" (lol). So I left cause I wasn't prepared to be walked all over and do my manager's job on minimum wage.

Now I've got a new job and I'm seeing a similar pattern. It's nowhere near as bad as before because this is a big branded, chain company so there's more regulations but it's the little stuff that shows through. The problem is that if you're the combination of a good worker and a nice person, you get taken advantage of and just expected to pick up the slack when other people don't. I can't wait until I'm qualified and get out of awful minimum wage jobs.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by bones-mccoy
Completely agree. I left my last job because my manager was a lazy, incompetent excuse of a boss who let the rest of us do the hard work on minimum wage whilst she gave herself all the shifts where she could sit on her arse and do nothing. Sometimes she'd go on holiday and me and another girl had to run the workplace by ourselves, working long hours every single day and night with no help, no guidance, without so much as a "thanks" or a bonus. No recognition whatsoever. I actually ended up being unable to walk properly during that as I'd worked so long, so much, my feet were bruised, cut and bleeding. The worst was that when we did functions or big dinners or parties, she'd be the one getting all the praise, all the bottles of wine, all the flowers, when the people who did actually work incredibly hard got nothing. Then my colleague agreed to a promotion and pay rise behind our backs even though I'm older than him and more experienced, I even found a "good luck" card signed from everyone at work and he'd put "thanks for training me" (lol). So I left cause I wasn't prepared to be walked all over and do my manager's job on minimum wage.

Now I've got a new job and I'm seeing a similar pattern. It's nowhere near as bad as before because this is a big branded, chain company so there's more regulations but it's the little stuff that shows through. The problem is that if you're the combination of a good worker and a nice person, you get taken advantage of and just expected to pick up the slack when other people don't. I can't wait until I'm qualified and get out of awful minimum wage jobs.

Your experience sounds very familiar to my daily work routine. Toxic office/workplace politics, seem to be a permanent fixture in minimum wage type roles, and while I agree it may happen at all levels - it seems more blatant and focussed within unskilled industries.

I've been thrown under the bus a few times in my current job, and my previous one. Recently, my scheduling manager has been putting me in for late shifts (sometimes 3-4 a week), where I'll come in mid-afternoon and finish between 9.30/10pm sometimes later.

I then have upto an hours commute to and from work each way. So they know in that keeping me there late and understaffing ill get home ridiculously late. This affects my mood, motivation, energy and sleep pattern.

While this may seem reasonable to onlookers, it is always me that gets these shifts. Additionally 9 times out of ten she schedules me in with someone vastly inexperienced in my work area - also neglecting to rota in additional support staff for early evening.Leaving me stressed and exhausted at end of day.

Whenever she manages the shift, she has double the staff in, and is always very sly with her friend (assistant manager) about me and others. They **** people off but in earshot. Done to undermine you.

It represents a conflict of interest, but if you complain they cut your hours. Even worse, if you've done wrong or deemed upset them they dock your hours. Never seeming to go down the disciplinary route as its safer to warn you or send you a subtle message. All very petty and immature. But this sort of stuff happens weekly.

Like you, when I first started this job people were nice. Thought i'd escaped it, but the signs started to show. People been overtly nice, to mask the sarcastic undertone and spite.

I'd complain but the person above the Store Manager is a former Store Manager whom has it in for me, after a past run in with my partner who used to work there. Said Supervisor was a ringleader of the bullying that went on under her regime. She enabled a lot of the spite and pettiness. Many people left on the sick for work related stress and or left as theyd had it. Others were old timers that took the ****.

So conclusively, from top down the corporation is riddled with this black cloud of negativity and 'who shall we throw under next' mentality. They say its a dog eat dog world, but this isnt competitiveness its unfair and wrong to treat people this way.

You are overworked, and expected to meet the same high standards, regardless, without a thank you and in most cases your performance is slated unfairly (often in front of you amongst colleagues having a good laugh).

I'm not the fastest or most efficient worker, but I do my job. I try to get on with people, but morally, I cant tolerate psychopathic / narrcisistic behaviour.

Thing is, im also physically disabled so limited in my ability to carry boxes or heavy lifting. I still try but I get the impression my colleagues think its an excuse. When it isnt.
Im registered as disabled medically, and i told my former manager at interview I was disabled and suffered mental health, but doubt she recorded it.

Over the time i've worked there, I have had to ring in sick plenty of times because I just cant cope because of the constant undermining. I get depressed, teary and worse hysterical. Im already depressed, on meds and suffer from fatigue. Other times, I am so run down i get virsus or bugs because of been overworked.

They like to make out im an untrustworthy unreliable and shoddy worker. However, some of my colleagues know that I am far from it. But of course management always finds reasons to scapegoat.

Of course, there are those who will say ' dont like it find another job' but its easier said than done. As a graduate and postgrad student, I've applied for lots of jobs (graduated 2 yr ago), unskilled and grad roles.

Secondly, people make out that its my choice (which it might well be), but its a choice between stay and suffer or leave and join the dole que and live in relative poverty unable to pay bills and rent. Believe me, the draconian Dept for Work & Pensions isnt much better.

The capitalist world is unfair and nothing to be gained than productivity for the rich/selfish and misery for the working poor. The state refuses to intervene without subjecting you to harrassment and the same abuse as employers. No wonder support for Corbyn and the Unions is on the rise.

Sorry for my rant I digressed.
Original post by royal1990
Your experience sounds very familiar to my daily work routine. Toxic office/workplace politics, seem to be a permanent fixture in minimum wage type roles, and while I agree it may happen at all levels - it seems more blatant and focussed within unskilled industries.

I've been thrown under the bus a few times in my current job, and my previous one. Recently, my scheduling manager has been putting me in for late shifts (sometimes 3-4 a week), where I'll come in mid-afternoon and finish between 9.30/10pm sometimes later.

I then have upto an hours commute to and from work each way. So they know in that keeping me there late and understaffing ill get home ridiculously late. This affects my mood, motivation, energy and sleep pattern.

While this may seem reasonable to onlookers, it is always me that gets these shifts. Additionally 9 times out of ten she schedules me in with someone vastly inexperienced in my work area - also neglecting to rota in additional support staff for early evening.Leaving me stressed and exhausted at end of day.

Whenever she manages the shift, she has double the staff in, and is always very sly with her friend (assistant manager) about me and others. They **** people off but in earshot. Done to undermine you.

It represents a conflict of interest, but if you complain they cut your hours. Even worse, if you've done wrong or deemed upset them they dock your hours. Never seeming to go down the disciplinary route as its safer to warn you or send you a subtle message. All very petty and immature. But this sort of stuff happens weekly.

Like you, when I first started this job people were nice. Thought i'd escaped it, but the signs started to show. People been overtly nice, to mask the sarcastic undertone and spite.

I'd complain but the person above the Store Manager is a former Store Manager whom has it in for me, after a past run in with my partner who used to work there. Said Supervisor was a ringleader of the bullying that went on under her regime. She enabled a lot of the spite and pettiness. Many people left on the sick for work related stress and or left as theyd had it. Others were old timers that took the ****.

So conclusively, from top down the corporation is riddled with this black cloud of negativity and 'who shall we throw under next' mentality. They say its a dog eat dog world, but this isnt competitiveness its unfair and wrong to treat people this way.

You are overworked, and expected to meet the same high standards, regardless, without a thank you and in most cases your performance is slated unfairly (often in front of you amongst colleagues having a good laugh).

I'm not the fastest or most efficient worker, but I do my job. I try to get on with people, but morally, I cant tolerate psychopathic / narrcisistic behaviour.

Thing is, im also physically disabled so limited in my ability to carry boxes or heavy lifting. I still try but I get the impression my colleagues think its an excuse. When it isnt.
Im registered as disabled medically, and i told my former manager at interview I was disabled and suffered mental health, but doubt she recorded it.

Over the time i've worked there, I have had to ring in sick plenty of times because I just cant cope because of the constant undermining. I get depressed, teary and worse hysterical. Im already depressed, on meds and suffer from fatigue. Other times, I am so run down i get virsus or bugs because of been overworked.

They like to make out im an untrustworthy unreliable and shoddy worker. However, some of my colleagues know that I am far from it. But of course management always finds reasons to scapegoat.

Of course, there are those who will say ' dont like it find another job' but its easier said than done. As a graduate and postgrad student, I've applied for lots of jobs (graduated 2 yr ago), unskilled and grad roles.

Secondly, people make out that its my choice (which it might well be), but its a choice between stay and suffer or leave and join the dole que and live in relative poverty unable to pay bills and rent. Believe me, the draconian Dept for Work & Pensions isnt much better.

The capitalist world is unfair and nothing to be gained than productivity for the rich/selfish and misery for the working poor. The state refuses to intervene without subjecting you to harrassment and the same abuse as employers. No wonder support for Corbyn and the Unions is on the rise.

Sorry for my rant I digressed.

It's just terrible. I have noticed I'm always put with the new person and expected to compensate for their incompetence, essentially doing two people's work by myself. Every Sunday my workplace is rammed, there's always a waiting list of at least an hour and a half and the bar is 4-deep pretty much the whole time, yet there's never enough staff on and the manager's opinion is that it'll be fine and we just have to deal with it. I'm part time and this week they've given me 41 hours which is out of order tbh I work to live, I don't live to work. Everyone says "think of the money" but £7 an hour is not worth never being able to see my boyfriend's daughter as we only get her every other weekend. I'm not going to put my *****y minimum wage job before my own family. I wouldn't have even applied for the job if it was full time hours.

Luckily I think if I complained more they'd have to compromise - I'm too good for my job and the managers know it, I've worked a bar for 3 years and would easily get a job in any restaurant or bar anywhere. They're not going to want to lose me when at least 2 other people who work on that bar are useless.

I also used to suffer with bad mental health but I can start to relapse when I'm particularly stressed or tired, I had to take a day off when they gave me 4 closing shifts in row cause I just couldn't cope. I wasn't eating properly, not getting enough sleep and I've just been physically ill for over 2 weeks because of this. It frustrates me because I graduated 3 years ago, I've got a postgrad, yet I can't get into my desired field until I start a Masters next year and I have to earn money till then. It's a sad position I think a lot of graduates are in. Intelligent people being paid £7 an hour to be overworked, stressed in a *****y part time, unskilled job.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending