The Student Room Group

Veggie and Vegan Recipe/ Chat Thread

This poll is closed

Who is the Vegan Master?

Jack22031994 67%
Kindred33%
Total votes: 3

Welcome one and all to the Veggie and Vegan Recipe/ Chat Thread!

This thread is for sharing veggie and vegan recipes or just having a chat about veggie and vegan life in general. Meat eaters are welcome as long as it's to discuss veggie/ vegan stuff.

I think that's about all the explanation needed. Why not start by introducing yourself?:
Are you veggie or vegan?
When did you start and why?
Is there anything you miss or are tempted by?
Where do you stand on things like Haribo (animal ingredients, but no actual meat)?

Original post by Kindred

This thread is for sharing veggie and vegan recipes or just having a chat about veggie and vegan life in general. Meat eaters are welcome as long as it's to discuss veggie/ vegan stuff.

I think that's about all the explanation needed. Why not start by introducing yourself?:
Are you veggie or vegan?
Where do you stand on things like Haribo (animal ingredients, but no actual meat)?

I'm not a vegan but i make/eat quite a lot of vegan stuff because of my allergies.
I have a great vegan cupcake recipe that i created myself from scratch if anyone is interested :biggrin: It doesnt contain loads of oil or weird ingredients like vinegar :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
I'm not a vegan but i make/eat quite a lot of vegan stuff because of my allergies.
I have a great vegan cupcake recipe that i created myself from scratch if anyone is interested :biggrin: It doesnt contain loads of oil or weird ingredients like vinegar :tongue:

Ooh how exciting. I'll be holding a little recipe competition later for World Vegan Day (:shh:) so you might like to pop by and share that.
I'm veggie myself, but a lot of the recipes I come across are vegan and boy are they complicated sometimes. It's more like chemistry than cooking half the time! I avoid all that mess and stick to easier stuff :tongue:
Original post by Kindred
Ooh how exciting. I'll be holding a little recipe competition later for World Vegan Day (:shh:) so you might like to pop by and share that.
I'm veggie myself, but a lot of the recipes I come across are vegan and boy are they complicated sometimes. It's more like chemistry than cooking half the time! I avoid all that mess and stick to easier stuff :tongue:

In that case you'll probably like my recipe because its really simple :tongue:

That competition sounds good, i'll deffo be taking part in it :biggrin:
Original post by Kindred

Are you veggie or vegan?

I'll post in the right place this time :tongue:

Afternoon!
I'm vegan and have been for 4 years now. Before that I was vegetarian for around 7 years. I started by cutting out red meat, then chicken, then fish. First off it was to lose weight I think but now it's more for environmental and ethical reasons.
I think I miss eggs the most - I was never that into cheese! I don't think of meat as food anymore so I'm never tempted by that but sometimes a fried egg looks good!!
Hiya! :smile:
I'm vegan and have been for about 8-9 months. Before that, I was vegetarian for my whole life (about 13 years). I don't really know what it's like to crave for meat, seeming as I've never had it, but I definitely know what it's like to want a dairy product. I don't really mind not drinking milk because there are soooo many other options (e.g. rice, oat, almond (my personal favourite:tongue:)). However, sometimes I really want scrambled eggs for breakfast or I actually want a choice in chocolate. I was also never really big on cheese, so that didn't really bother me. However, I definitely don't want it enough to actually break begin vegan just to eat it. I think the major eye opener for me was when I watched conspiracy, the documentary. It talked not only about the health benefits (of being vegan) but also how much change you can make to the environment. I feel like things with gelatin are so annoying because you can JUST USE PECTIN!! :angry: I can't buy anything like marshmallows, or jelly because it's got gelatin in it. I think being vegan you don't only not eat meat and dairy, but you also don't eat/use any animal byproducts, such as sheep's wool.
I know it wasn't a question but I would like to share a past experience I had with being vegan. I am currently doing homeschool for my GCSEs, but I went to school for Year 9, and can I just say it was HORRIBLE. I was constantly teased for being vegan, even though not ONCE did I mention how they were eating meat. There was one girl in particular who would look at anyone who was eating meat for lunch and say, 'That's not vegan!'. Every single time I wanted to say, 'It doesn't have to be vegan because I'm not eating their food am I?!', and it seriously cheesed me off. Anyway, that's my story, sorry for how long it is! :biggrin:
Reply 6

Get pumped for World Vegan Day on the 1st of November!

World Vegan Day is fast approaching so let's have a friendly recipe competition!
Post a vegan (or easily adapted) recipe here and have a look at all the other wonderful recipes (maybe even try some out yourself).
I'll give it a few days (at least up until WVD) then we can have a vote to decide the winner.
Make sure you tag me (@Kindred) in and give your recipe a colourful title so I know it's in the comp.
The winner will receive the title of Vegan Master and be praised for all eternity.
Let me know if you want to be tagged in for voting when it starts.

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Kindred

Get pumped for World Vegan Day on the 1st of November!

World Vegan Day is fast approaching so let's have a friendly recipe competition!
Post a vegan (or easily adapted) recipe here and have a look at all the other wonderful recipes (maybe even try some out yourself).
I'll give it a few days (at least up until WVD) then we can have a vote to decide the winner.
Make sure you tag me (@Kindred) in and give your recipe a colourful title so I know it's in the comp.
The winner will receive the title of Vegan Master and be praised for all eternity.
Let me know if you want to be tagged in for voting when it starts.

Vegan Master for me :rofl:

Ill try and get a colourful version up later
Reply 8
Subbed! Been a vegan for a year and a bit. Became one mainly for ethical reasons and the environmental ones have become a side bonus. It took me awhile to be confident that I was being healthy on the diet, as there's lots to be considered, but feel I've got there now.
Hello!
Been over a year without meat, dairy and eggs and I've been vegan for just over 10 months now :smile: I went vegan mainly due to spiritual, ethical, environmental & health reasons and found out the truth mainly through YouTube & documentaries (Earthlings, Cowspiracy, Forks over knives, What The Health, Land of hope and glory etc.) . I'm happy to say that I'm no longer tempted by or crave animal products :biggrin: - ps Vegfest was absolutely amazing!
Original post by Kindred

Are you veggie or vegan?

Watercress Soup
This is a delicious, healthy and cheap soup to make!

2 Bags of Watercress

1/2 Bag of Spinach

1/2 Kale

2 Leeks (the green part)

1 Glove of Garlic

2 Potatoes

2 Small or 1 Large Onion

2 Pints of Vegetable Stock (Preferably low-sodium Bouillon)

Knob of butter

Melt the butter in a pan, and add the chopped onion, leek, potato Fry for 2 mins

Add the Spinach, Kale and Watercress stir until everything is coated in melted butter

Add a pinch of Salt, then stir cover and leave to sweat for about 15 minutes. Stir halfway through

Add stock, bring to simmering point, stir and cover for 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are tender

Remove from eat and leave to cool down (but not go cold). The liquidise/blend if preferred.

Return to heat

Serve!

Reply 11
Super Simple Sweet Potato Burgers
WP_20171007_013.jpg
I made these when I was low on food in the house. I found the dregs of some sweet potato chunks and a block of halloumi and hoped for the best. I was pleasantly surprised with the result and how easy it was and am planning to give it another go later with a bit more effort put in.
What you need:

Sweet potato
Halloumi (or lentils)
Any extra veg or flavouring you want (maybe some sweet chilli)
How much? Up to you.

What to do:
Boil and mash up the sweet potato
Grate the halloumi
Mix everything up
Mould the mix into balls then smush into discs
Cook until they start to brown
Put into burger bun with other bits and enjoy!

Done? Really? Already?

Yup, that's it. Just mash some stuff up and squish it into burgers. :h:
Original post by Kindred
x

VEGETABLE SOUP
(I used this making a soup maker so have put the basics of what to do in a pan)

700g assorted veg (for this I used: potato, celery, leek, carrot, onion)

Basic in pan if no soup maker

Saute celery, onion and leek for about 10 mins in some oil and butter
Then add rest of veg and add 2ish pints of low sodium boullion stock for 15-20 mins. Then blend!

23157944_1467410909974411_644759089_o.jpg
Not a vegan, but this recipe looks good. Thinking of making it myself:
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/coconut-banana-pancakes
Reply 14

The competition is closed. Voting starts now.
You can still post recipes whenever you like, you just won't get crowned as Vegan Master for it.
Looks like it's between me and Jack22031994. :catfight: Good luck Jack!
I'll add the recipes here (well links to them anyway):
Just click the "original post" text to go to the recipe.

Original post by Jack22031994
Jack's Watercress Soup

Original post by Jack22031994
Jack's Vegetable Soup

Original post by Kindred
Kindred's Sweet Potato Burgers

So that's two soups by Jack and a burger by me.
I'm also putting Sabertooth's recipe here despite it not being a proper entry cos I think it'll be nice to share:
Original post by Sabertooth
:biggrin:

I'm creating the poll now :smile:
Since it was such a tiny comp I'm only going to give it a day.

(edited 6 years ago)
Just finished off my last portion of this 'Brazilian Black Bean Stew' I made for the week [http://leonrestaurants.co.uk/magazine/blog/brazilian-black-bean-stew/]. I thought it was absolutely yummy and will definitely be making it again. It makes a nice alternative to the normal Chili I make too. Highly recommended!
Reply 16
Oh I forgot. Congratulations @Jack22031994 on winning and becoming the Vegan Master! :biggrin:
Original post by Kindred
Oh I forgot. Congratulations @Jack22031994 on winning and becoming the Vegan Master! :biggrin:

Aww tI won :woo: thanks!

2-1 though - nog a big win! :tongue:
Reply 19
Original post by 1secondsofvamps

If you still have the recipe could you send it to me 😁😬

Quick Reply

Latest