The Student Room Group

Does anyone regret going/not going to Uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bluebell1234
University is a daunting experience for everyone. You must have heard the cliche 'best years of your life.' or 'friends for life.' Whilst some of this is true, some is not. The likelihood is that you will go through a full spectrum of emotions through the 3 /4 years you will be at your respective institution. Happiness, ecstasy, sadness, tiredness and lots of laughter hopefully. As great as it is to have all these emotions, you will want to also keep some consistency and grow as a person, both emotionally and mentally.
Do what is right for you. If you are daunted by the idea of uni but know you are doing a good degree and one you are passionate about , go for it! Everyone is in the same boat at uni. However, I do think sometimes your experience that you have at uni can depend at what institution you are at. I'll say the top and decent unis would provide a good experience.
Also , lots of people go to uni just for partying etc, but uni is so much more than that people need to realise that. For example joining socities, taking leadership roles is such a good way to meet like minded people, step out of your comfort zone and develop independence, skills that are so valuable to employers.. BUT this is only if you make full use of what uni offers. e.g top/decent unis like notts, warwick, aston, birm, top lonodn unis etc, if you make full use of the facilities it provides you will leave uni feeling confident etc.
It's up to you . I do know however for things like accounting you don't even need a degree so you can think about that. but I do feel if you make full use what uni offers, you will have memories to cherish for life. There are people who go to good unis but end up doing nothing from partying -won' get u anywhere my friend.

Yes I agree with this I am not into the partying/drinking culture at university although I do go out occasionally but have noticed a lot of people are here and do nothing but go out and drink/party with no idea how hard the job market is etc.

Having said that I find it really hard to do all these extra curricular activities and keep on top of all the work and assignments and then be bombarded with the pressure to apply for internships etc. It all seems too much to balance when you only have so many hours in the day.

I have noticed a cv building culture at university where people do things just so "it looks good on you cv" and "boosts your cv" type of thing which annoys me as people volunteer/do extra curriculars not because they are passionate about it but because it helps them stand out to get a competitive job.

I know someone for example who went to volunteer in Africa just because of the CV boost I think it is called voluntourism and has been criticised heavily.

I'm in a university that isn't a Russell group but definitely has a good reputation so that doesn't worry me too much.

Thanks once again
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by iodo345
So basically would you say you were unemployed for 5 years perhaps which may be influenced perhaps due to health problems etc?

I hear these stories a lot after university and this just scares me to death and makes me want to leave straight away as I would take any job at the minute and work my way up.

I will talk to careers service as I know of other paths which don't require degrees but right now I will stick this degree out and do my best unless I seriously fail or have health issues etc.

Thanks for the help btw.

I didn't apply for jobs continuously for 5 years due to health problems. When I did apply I made no mention of them so I don't think I was discriminated against on those grounds or anything like that.

Talking to the careers service is a good idea. Not sure how helpful they'll be if you want to drop out but they might be able to help set you up with part time or temporary work. I hadn't even thought about recommending you talk to them. :facepalm:

No problem. I hope you do well in the rest of your degree. :smile:
Original post by Sabertooth
I didn't apply for jobs continuously for 5 years due to health problems. When I did apply I made no mention of them so I don't think I was discriminated against on those grounds or anything like that.

Talking to the careers service is a good idea. Not sure how helpful they'll be if you want to drop out but they might be able to help set you up with part time or temporary work. I hadn't even thought about recommending you talk to them. :facepalm:

No problem. I hope you do well in the rest of your degree. :smile:

Thanks

Is it alright if I follow you to ask for any advice in the future?
Original post by iodo345
Thanks

Is it alright if I follow you to ask for any advice in the future?

Sure thing. :smile:
Reply 24
University is a daunting experience for everyone. You must have heard the cliche 'best years of your life.' or 'friends for life.' Whilst some of this is true, some is not. The likelihood is that you will go through a full spectrum of emotions through the 3 /4 years you will be at your respective institution. Happiness, ecstasy, sadness, tiredness and lots of laughter hopefully. As great as it is to have all these emotions, you will want to also keep some consistency and grow as a person, both emotionally and mentally.
Do what is right for you. If you are daunted by the idea of uni but know you are doing a good degree and one you are passionate about , go for it! Everyone is in the same boat at uni. However, I do think sometimes your experience that you have at uni can depend at what institution you are at. I'll say the top and decent unis would provide a good experience.
Also , lots of people go to uni just for partying etc, but uni is so much more than that people need to realise that. For example joining socities, taking leadership roles is such a good way to meet like minded people, step out of your comfort zone and develop independence, skills that are so valuable to employers.. BUT this is only if you make full use of what uni offers. e.g top/decent unis like notts, warwick, aston, birm, top lonodn unis etc, if you make full use of the facilities it provides you will leave uni feeling confident etc.
It's up to you . I do know however for things like accounting you don't even need a degree so you can think about that. but I do feel if you make full use what uni offers, you will have memories to cherish for life. There are people who go to good unis but end up doing nothing from partying -won' get u anywhere my friend.

I just read this and wanted to say it was very helpful. I've just started uni and have really felt the huge pressure of having 'the time of my life' because my parents, siblings etc. have all said this. I'm halfway through my first term, and while it isn't bad, it certainly hasn't (so far) lived up to the hype. I often feel alienated because so many people are obsessed with partying / nightlife / drinking - which is something I just really don't enjoy. I want to take full advantage of all the things uni opens up but it's hard when nobody else is interested in anything but partying. I guess it doesn't help that while I have made friends, none of them really click with me and are all nightlife-orientated. My uni also lacks a good variety of societies so it's even harder to find the introverts :P
Original post by anony5
I just read this and wanted to say it was very helpful. I've just started uni and have really felt the huge pressure of having 'the time of my life' because my parents, siblings etc. have all said this. I'm halfway through my first term, and while it isn't bad, it certainly hasn't (so far) lived up to the hype. I often feel alienated because so many people are obsessed with partying / nightlife / drinking - which is something I just really don't enjoy. I want to take full advantage of all the things uni opens up but it's hard when nobody else is interested in anything but partying. I guess it doesn't help that while I have made friends, none of them really click with me and are all nightlife-orientated. My uni also lacks a good variety of societies so it's even harder to find the introverts :P

Join anything honestly -sometimes it's good to get out of your comfort zone. At least then you will know if you ever want to be doing that activity again rather than wishing you did it and tried it... no harm can be done.
You may not feel like going out but it's better than staying at home and even though you may feel down, atleast it will keep you occupied and busy rather than being upset and sitting at home.
You can even create your own society. Hiw about a society for sobers or a games night for example ? :smile:
I knowin other unis they have this that's why I'm recommending this.
Reply 26
Join anything honestly -sometimes it's good to get out of your comfort zone. At least then you will know if you ever want to be doing that activity again rather than wishing you did it and tried it... no harm can be done.
You may not feel like going out but it's better than staying at home and even though you may feel down, atleast it will keep you occupied and busy rather than being upset and sitting at home.
You can even create your own society. Hiw about a society for sobers or a games night for example ? :smile:
I knowin other unis they have this that's why I'm recommending this.

I've joined a few societies but I'm still finding it hard to build meaningful relationships with anyone other than my flatmates. I would start a sober society but need to find some others interested in starting it first! Thanks for the help.
Reply 27
I’ve been at uni for 7 weeks and really dislike the place, it’s very small and quite and the people here are very tame. I’ve faced a number of mental health problems including anxiety which I haven’t had before. I don’t feel like my fun crazy side fits in and I really miss doing art and being creative but I think that I have no just about decided to stick it out as a degree would probably be good in the long run for what I’d like todo in terms of careers but not eveyone enjoys uni, the uni here is pretty dead and it’s quite high up in the rankings but I’m also a little worried I might just fail as I don’t really like the place but then again if I were to drop out that’s just another year I’d have todo and I’d prefer to get it out the way.
Reply 28
Original post by LCRA
I’ve been at uni for 7 weeks and really dislike the place, it’s very small and quite and the people here are very tame. I’ve faced a number of mental health problems including anxiety which I haven’t had before. I don’t feel like my fun crazy side fits in and I really miss doing art and being creative but I think that I have no just about decided to stick it out as a degree would probably be good in the long run for what I’d like todo in terms of careers but not eveyone enjoys uni, the uni here is pretty dead and it’s quite high up in the rankings but I’m also a little worried I might just fail as I don’t really like the place but then again if I were to drop out that’s just another year I’d have todo and I’d prefer to get it out the way.

Where do you go?
Very much regret going. Wasted years of my life for a lot of money and actually the degree has made me less employable. Can’t get entry level jobs as overqualified and cannot get graduate jobs as they too competitive. Been unemployed on job seekers allowance now since I graduated. wish I had never gone and just did an apprenticeship instead.
I get that some people aren't the party students. And yes, university has a lot of them. But writing off uni, simply because you haven't gone out of your way to find like-minded people is your own fault.

University is a wide spectrum of all kinds of different people! Not everyone parties; not everyone sits in or whatever. You have to find other people who share similar interests. Put yourself out there. You can't expect to find these people if you sit about and just complain uni is a waste of time because it doesn't suit you or you haven't met people like you. If you're not confident, uni is a great place to start!

I loved uni and I hated it. the partying, the drama, the stress, the workload, being poor, the moment where you have loads of friends, to then having very little. The disappointments, the achievements. It's definitely a rollercoaster of a time. But university is what you make of it.

I made great friends there. None that I really speak to now. But I still hold very fond and emotional memories of my time at uni. It taught me a lot and taught me very little. It's a mixed bag. I do appreciate that you can be lucky or unlucky. I get that. But if you want something, you have to work for it.

"No job after uni" fear is common and very much real. Doesn't mean it's expected. Put things in place prior to graduating and you'll get the job that you want. Some career want a masters, some want an unrealistic amount of experience. But degrees are no longer our golden ticket to that dream job. You need more on your CV. And yes I did many things that was just to boost my CV. But I enjoyed what I did very much and was recognised for my achievements and changed I made. Do things that inspire you, challenge you and please you.

Uni isn't a fairytale and it isn't hell either. It's what you make of it.

Edit: sorry for the typos. It's been a good weekend. :wink:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by rdlewiss
I really want to hear everyone's experience/opinions. I'm thinking of doing an apprenticeship but don't want to miss out on uni life, (social life, independence etc). Has anyone done an apprenticeship and had a great social life? I'm scared I wont make friends on my apprenticeship and all my current friends will be far away at UnI

I hope you chose the apprenticeship, you gave the wrong reasons for going to University...i myself went to university for the wrong reason and i horribly failed twice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending