The Student Room Group

Why do British people view themselves as being similar to Germans?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Binsanite Kekuit
Both are very diverse countries... their own people are so very different from one another.

All I can say is that in Hamburg, the people reminded me very much of the people here in England... in terms of how they lived and what they did day to day. The main difference is that the Germans are more religious than the British.

Both cultures love to go on holiday to *****y islands in the Med, complain about rent, car insurance and weather, and both peoples enjoy alcohol and football.

Hamburg is not representative of Germany. It is very cosmopolitan but the rest of your points are fairly common wherever you go in Europe. I'm struggling to think of a nation that doesn't complain about these things or play football or drink alcohol? Hamburg has had a very large American influence so if you go elsewhere in Germany you'd find it to be very different.
Original post by Allemagne
Around 40% of Germans have Eastern European ancestry and Germans and the British have actually very different ancestry

Parts of the old Teutonic state were in Poland and Lithuania so it is of no surprise there is cross over
Reply 42
Original post by Ganjaweed Rebel
Parts of the old Teutonic state were in Poland and Lithuania so it is of no surprise there is cross over

Yes but I'd argue that there are countries that have a more similar genealogy to Britain than Germany
We're not similar to them culturally but we do share the same ancestral heritage, going back about 1000 years of course.
I don't.

Only Brits that do are probably the Royals.
Reply 45
Original post by ElAshtonio
We're not similar to them culturally but we do share the same ancestral heritage, going back about 1000 years of course.

I don't think so. Germans have a long genetic history in Eastern Europe (Germany did border Russia until after WW1 and today 40% have Eastern European heritage in Gemany) as well as large Italian influences (part of the Holy Roman Empire) and the British have mixtures of French and Spanish. I think there are other countries with a more similar genetic history to Britain than Germany.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending