The Student Room Group

Does anyone else ever feel like they're not smart enough?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by student7659
I used to think I was quite clever - I achieved top GCSE grades and used to be top of the class for everything. Ever since year 12, I can't help but think I have fallen behind my peers and I hate the feeling. Do any of you feel the same way? How do you deal with this?

It's only natural.

You've moved up a rung in the ladder of education. As you move up, more and more selection happens so you're more likely to be sitting with those who were top in their school etc.
Original post by eden3
@Kevin Hodge AWWWL KINDS of insecure action....

They’re not really good friends then. They can just FAWK OUT DA WHEY.
I used to think I was quite clever - I achieved top GCSE grades and used to be top of the class for everything. Ever since year 12, I can't help but think I have fallen behind my peers and I hate the feeling. Do any of you feel the same way? How do you deal with this?

Nobody is smart/stupid. It's just their mindset and how they do the subject, the reason they may find it easier to understand stuff is because their ideology is better, because of their environment/background (so they have a different mindset to yours). It doesn't mean your stupid, just means they have more help, n so you gotta try harder than them. Like in your gcse class you were the big fish in that pond (now you entered a bigger pond, a levels, with bigger fish), i bet loads of people thought they were stupid in your class. You just had better mindset so you revised better with less effort, they felt the same as you do now. Just study more/more effectively and you'll be the big fish again.
Original post by garethbale
A Levels are going to be the hardest - tougher than uni.

the important thing here is to believe in yourself and keep working because the beginning is tough but all that pain will make the positive outcome much better.

you have had to be at the bottom to secure a place at the top. don't give up, i believe in you xox

in my opinion, A-Levels are much easier compared to University.
Reply 24
No. I don't get hung up on stuff like this, it's ultimately trivial.
Me sometimes...
Damn. Jealous much?

I have felt like that ever since I started A Levels. But it's ok as a lot of my friends were like that as well.
Reply 28
In many important ways, yes. In the sense that you mean it, no. Sure, university has demonstrated to me that there are plenty of people with similar or superior ability , but I already knew that, and I still perform well relative to my peers without working myself all that hard. What is more concerning is how much better everyone else seems to be at just managing their lives and knowing what they need to do and how to do it in general, not just on their degree, and how they are able to act with rational self-interest while I irrationally sabotage myself all the time.
Original post by Ryanthom100

Work harder, i'm not the smartest, but when i put in the effort, i get better grades etc

Such a lie........
Original post by Adam.C123
Such a lie........

Its not, you can keep telling yourself it is a lie and be in denial that things didnt go your way because of ability but deep down you know you could have done more

everything is down to willpower, persistence, spirit and never giving up
Reply 31
Original post by peanotto
Its not, you can keep telling yourself it is a lie and be in denial that things didnt go your way because of ability but deep down you know you could have done more

It is easy for those who have worked hard and seen success to say this. Often smart people, or, more generally, people who are particularly capable in some particular area, perform a simultaneous feat of overselling and underselling themselves; they will exaggerate how hard-working they are relative to everyone else while denying their own natural ability. I suppose it is nicer to think that we are entirely responsible for our own achievements, rather than thinking that we may have innate advantages over others in some ways.
me ALL the f*cking time!!
Reply 33
All the time. I used to be one of the highest in all of my classes - near to full marks in everything. Then I started dropping in some subjects, slowly in more and more subjects. I'm still good at maths, but that's probably the only subject. I'll start working again to try and bring myself back up to where I was. I do think it's possible.
Original post by math42
It is easy for those who have worked hard and seen success to say this. Often smart people, or, more generally, people who are particularly capable in some particular area, perform a simultaneous feat of overselling and underselling themselves; they will exaggerate how hard-working they are relative to everyone else while denying their own natural ability. I suppose it is nicer to think that we are entirely responsible for our own achievements, rather than thinking that we may have innate advantages over others in some ways.

its cruel that some people might have more natural ability than others, thats life. but i believe humans can break any barriers or limits. maybe someone has barely any natural ability, it just means they have to work 10 times as harder. the same thing still applies
Original post by peanotto

I never worked hard, I was very lazy at school. I got pretty crap grades, but even if I worked hard I wouldn't of got even half as good as my brother and sister who were straight A* students (my sister to a lesser degree)

Now my brother is a doctor, my sister has health problems and I got a mickey mouse useless foundation degree in hospitality.

This face is, I am useless.
"Talent does not exist, we are all equals as human beings. You could be anyone if you put in the time. You will reach the top and that's that."

This is complete rubbish. I can't believe there are people who think this naïvely. I imagine it's just a consequence of being far too inspired by one's own success; math42 put it very well.
Original post by Adam.C123
I never worked hard, I was very lazy at school. I got pretty crap grades, but even if I worked hard I wouldn't of got even half as good as my brother and sister who were straight A* students (my sister to a lesser degree)

Now my brother is a doctor, my sister has health problems and I got a mickey mouse useless foundation degree in hospitality.

This face is, I am useless.

You just said you were lazy. Therefore you weren't even close to fulfilling your intellectual potential as you put in no effort. So all your failed efforts was because of your poor work ethic. I'm not trying to be mean, im saying everything you do is down to you. Your siblings got to where they were at because they worked hard. How do you know what couldve happened if you worked hard? I have bad depression and struggle from even waking up in the morning but I still push myself no matter how hard it is. Its a constant mental battle. Maybe you didn't have a purpose or reason for it. Last year I failed and this year I want to prove myself and make my parents happy. I also don't want to be angry at myself looking backward and want a good summer. I also have a stereotypical smart sister with a*s I have to live up to so I know how you feel. I just know if i do nothing ill live with that regret forever
Im in year 12, I did average with my GCSE grades, I'm doing A level English Literature, History and Law, I transferred to a different school In a different area. and am really struggling to set in well. We did out first exams after just 8 weeks and they do things differently at this new school. I have been predicted C across my subjects which I'm not mad at as I understand this to be okay for starting year 12. I am disappointed as our exams everyone got 20/25 on an essay whereas I'm sitting at 17 marks. I was wondering if anyone did any of theses subjects and knows how to revise/structure a good essay that hits all the A0's Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest