The Student Room Group

Unsure About A-Level Choices

I’m about a month into college and I chose History, Geography & Physics. I was unsure about my 3rd subject so I chose Physics as I enjoyed it a lot at GCSE.

Anyway, I’ve been watching some videos of Dr Jordan Peterson and stuff like that and I feel that I may want to do something like Politics or Psychology as a subject.

I’m really unsure of what I should do, especially since I’m already a month into college.
Reply 1
If you want to do Politics I would not advocate taking Physics, as well as being an extremely hard A-Level it would make sense to choose an easier A-Level to help you get the grades you need to go to university, especially considering that Physics is irrelevant to the course you want to do.

Apart from that your A-Levels are fine, you should be able to change them even if you are a month in.
Reply 2
Original post by Wikia
If you want to do Politics I would not advocate taking Physics, as well as being an extremely hard A-Level it would make sense to choose an easier A-Level to help you get the grades you need to go to university, especially considering that Physics is irrelevant to the course you want to do.

Apart from that your A-Levels are fine, you should be able to change them even if you are a month in.

I’m unsure of what degree to do but it’s unlikely to be science based. The annoying thing is, I’ve spent a lot of money on textbooks already and I do still enjoy the subject.
Reply 3
Original post by Fonzworth
I’m unsure of what degree to do but it’s unlikely to be science based. The annoying thing is, I’ve spent a lot of money on textbooks already and I do still enjoy the subject.

You really need to think about you want to do, I was in the same situation you were and I wish I had just found out my desired career path earlier (I know it's easier said than done, however it's vital). I'm currently a year 13 student taking History, English Literature & Biology, hoping to studying Politics & International Relations next year (A*A*A predictions) although my biggest regret has been picking up Biology when it came to my A-Level choices. Firstly, the subject itself requires a lot of hard work being a science, it's also extremely difficult. Secondly, it does not even tie into my desired degree course, yet it's being treated as equally important as my other A-Levels (my offer is AAA which means I have to get an A in biology) whereas if I had just chosen an easier A-Level, say Government & Politics rather than Biology, I would've found that last A a lot easier to achieve. Now I'm stuck with Biology and I have to somehow find a way to achieve an A in a course which I don't enjoy and is completely irrelevant to the career I want to pursue.

Sit down and think about it, you'll thank yourself in the future.
Reply 4
Original post by Wikia
You really need to think about you want to do, I was in the same situation you were and I wish I had just found out my desired career path earlier (I know it's easier said than done, however it's vital). I'm currently a year 13 student taking History, English Literature & Biology, hoping to studying Politics & International Relations next year (A*A*A predictions) although my biggest regret has been picking up Biology when it came to my A-Level choices. Firstly, the subject itself requires a lot of hard work being a science, it's also extremely difficult. Secondly, it does not even tie into my desired degree course, yet it's being treated as equally important as my other A-Levels (my offer is AAA which means I have to get an A in biology) whereas if I had just chosen an easier A-Level, say Government & Politics rather than Biology, I would've found that last A a lot easier to achieve. Now I'm stuck with Biology and I have to somehow find a way to achieve an A in a course which I don't enjoy and is completely irrelevant to the career I want to pursue.

Thank you for this advice. I really need help with what to do but I don’t know myself what to do
Reply 5
Original post by Wikia

Also, what would you say links best with History & Geography?

Quick Reply

Latest