The Student Room Group

temporary car insurance?

I seem to be having trouble getting temporary car insurance (I.e. for a week) on my own car when I'm home from uni. most places only seem to offer it if someone you know has an existing policy so you can be added to theirs on a short term basis, but I can't get one for my own car! and if I do, it seems way too expensive.

is it worth just paying the full year's Insurance even though I'll barely drive my car just so my no claims goes down? I feel like just selling my car altogether at this point because right now it's just collecting dust in my driveway :frown:
Could try a broker. or google it?
https://www.skyinsurance.co.uk/temporary-car-insurance.html

My advice if you can afford it is to get a yearly policy and build up your NCD. Will be cheaper and better for you in the future.
Reply 2
thanks @jfrench74, I'll have a look. I'd already renewed my insurance for this year and cancelled when I found out I'd be moving away for uni, so I've already lost money at this point through cancellation fees!
Shame you cancelled. You could try calling up the insurance company and explain the situation. They might make the policy live again depending on when you cancelled.
Reply 4
was in the middle of September :/
Reply 5
Original post by emmaadams1
I seem to be having trouble getting temporary car insurance (I.e. for a week) on my own car when I'm home from uni. most places only seem to offer it if someone you know has an existing policy so you can be added to theirs on a short term basis, but I can't get one for my own car! and if I do, it seems way too expensive.

is it worth just paying the full year's Insurance even though I'll barely drive my car just so my no claims goes down? I feel like just selling my car altogether at this point because right now it's just collecting dust in my driveway :frown:

Thread should be in Cars and Motoring - tagging @AngryJellyfish to move it for you.

Try Aviva; they quoted me a decent £25 for a days insurance when I was looking to buy my new car so I could get it home from the dealer (didn't need temporary insurance in the end so can't comment on the service).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending