The Student Room Group

W. A. Mozart's Study Blog: Composer with composure

Scroll to see replies

Watched - love your updates! Will definitely keep up with this blog :smile:
Why have I only just discovered this... but such a good title! Good luck :smile:
Sorry about the lack of update on Wednesday. I did make a placeholder post so that I could come back and make it another time, but I never got around to it. :colondollar:

Updates will resume as usual tomorrow! :woo:
Original post by W. A. Mozart
Sorry about the lack of update on Wednesday. I did make a placeholder post so that I could come back and make it another time, but I never got around to it. :colondollar:

Updates will resume as usual tomorrow! :woo:

:console:

I hope you're doing well?
Original post by Pathway
:console:

I hope you're doing well?

Very up and down, how about yourself? :hugs:
Very up and down, how about yourself? :hugs:

Same. Had a bad night last night, and tonight's not much better but oh well. :redface:
Update XI

Sorry for missing the update on Wednesday. I haven't been very well. Just trying to traverse through life keeping my mind healthy, and also getting enough sleep.

The reason why sleep is so important for me is that when I am sleep deprived my mental health deteriorates, and things don't go too well. I obviously need to prioritise my mental health before exams, as I can't do the latter without the former being in check. I know that from experience. :redface:

Revision of aims (commencing 6th November 2017-8th November 2017)

Skim through older maths modules (C3,C4,M1,FP1) to keep it fresh in my mind

Start a new Maths module (FP1?S2?D2?M2?)

Make a revision schedule for the week

I did make a revision schedule, but I found that it didn't really help with my productivity so I scrapped the idea.

Alongside the aims, I managed to do a practice paper for S1 and FP1 from the textbook, and got the following marks:

S1 - 65/75
FP1 - 64/75

Considering that these are the first papers I've done, I'm rather proud of the scores. The mistakes I made were only silly in nature, so I guess that means I know the content well enough? :redface:

Aims (commencing 13th November 2017-15th November 2017)

Make some good progress with D2.

The textbook I have for D2 is actually the Edexcel one, despite me doing the AQA course. I looked at Amazon reviews and the general consensus was that the AQA textbook was very bad, whilst the Edexcel one was very good and is actually helpful for the AQA course too. I'll have to be very careful when going through the book though to make sure I'm hitting all of the points in the specification. Any places where it falls short I'll have to find some online resources to fill the gap.

University application update

I realised that I haven't mentioned much about my uni applications since I started the blog.

I have filled in all of my choices and all of the sections in UCAS, I'm now just waiting for my reference to come back from my old school. I last checked in about it a couple of weeks ago, I'm not sure how long left it will be but hopefully not too long. I should be able to send off the application rather soon.
Those scores are great, especially for a first attempt! And mental health definitely has to be a priority, well health in general really. So well done you :smile: I have a whole bunch of resources that were amazing for AQA D2, let me know if you want them and I'll try find a way to get them to you! I think I still have them anyway, might be on my old laptop but hopefully not.
Update XII

I have been quite busy with work on Monday and Tuesday, so didn't have much time at all to do any studying. Thankfully though I took a caffeine tablet earlier today which energised me and allowed me to get some decent work done. :smile:

I hope that some caffeine everyday will help me to push past the fatigue and be more productive; something that I have been struggling with greatly.

Revision of aims (commencing 13th November 2017-15th November 2017)

Make some good progress with D2.

I completed two out of six chapters in the module, so not bad! I found out that my textbook (being an Edexcel one) is missing the critical path analysis chapter that I need for the AQA course, but that's not too big of an issue as I found loads of resources online and was able to learn it all. I really dislike the Decision modules as they're so draining and tiresome, but D2 seems to be going better than D1 so far.

Aims (commencing 16th November 2017-19th November 2017)

Complete D2.

This doesn't seem too unrealistic (I think?). I have plans for Saturday night but hopefully I'll still be able to work productively over the weekend as a whole. I just really want to finish this module ASAP so I can have more time for three of the harder modules (FP2, S2, M2). Then I can finally move onto Physics revision which will be interesting.

Summary of everything

So I started with Further Maths towards the middle/end of September. meaning that it took me 2 months to complete half of the course (assuming I finish D2 this week). Also assuming that the next three modules are going to be more difficult, but also given that I started with FP1 at a very slow pace, I expect it to take 2 months to finish the A2 half.

Therefore, I'm hoping to complete Further Maths by the end of January. That will then leave me with 5 months to go over Physics again entirely and also revise all of the FM modules, and do past papers for Maths. 5 months isn't a lot of time to do all of that, so I now know that I need to really pick up the pace if I want the best chance of getting high grades as possible.

The thought of having to revise and do past papers and revision for 9 maths modules, along with past papers, re-learn and revise for an entire AS+A2 Physics course, AND a full-time job is quite, well, overwhelming. :K:

Spoiler

Original post by furryface12
Those scores are great, especially for a first attempt! And mental health definitely has to be a priority, well health in general really. So well done you :smile: I have a whole bunch of resources that were amazing for AQA D2, let me know if you want them and I'll try find a way to get them to you! I think I still have them anyway, might be on my old laptop but hopefully not.

Hey! :hugs:

If you don't mind, could I please take you up in this offer? No worries at all if you can't find them though! :tongue:

Thanks for following along :h:
Sorry for the hiatus from the blog.

I’ve been quite off lately and am struggling with motivation/memory/focus.

The blog will hopefully resume soon, I just need to get back on track again.

:redface:
Hey! :hugs:

If you don't mind, could I please take you up in this offer? No worries at all if you can't find them though! :tongue:

Thanks for following along :h:

Sorry, completely forgot this :colondollar: I've just found them now though :smile: if you PM me your email or something I'll send them over? Or I'll see if they'll go up onto google drive actually. Hope you're okay :hugs:

Edit: Check your PMs :tongue:
(edited 6 years ago)

Update XIII

Hello again. :smile:

So, I kind of took a bit of a break from the blog. I guess the reasons are that I was rather preoccupied with sleeping and a bad spell of MH. But, I am now back and as productive as ever. :colondollar:

This update is just to say that I am now back and will be doing a proper update again on Sunday, as I have made some progress despite everything.

See you soon! :hugs:
Update XIV

And just like that, I am back. :smile:

So I plan to get back on track with this and update it twice per week (Wednesday and Sunday), no changes.

Let's get started.

Revision of aims (commencing 16th November 2017-19th November 2017)

Complete D2.

I found that a couple of the chapters were quite difficult, but after watching a few revision videos I felt that I had it on lock down. It's still a really **** module though, for the same reasons that D1 is ****.

Further progress that I made

Completed S2.

Started work on M2.

So I am now on the 5th chapter, out of six, in Further Maths. I started M2 yesterday and so far I'm about to start Chapter 3 after a small amount of work, so not bad. I can tell already that it's going to be a really tricky module. I find I often make mistakes easily in mechanics questions, so I'll need to do loads of work on it to make sure I do well.

S2 was okay really. It was generally a bit easier than S1, and a bit shorter too. I still need to watch some revision videos on it as it always helps put it together in my head. I'd be nowhere without revision videos...

Aims (commencing 11th December 2017-13th December 2017)

Watch revision videos for S2.

Watch revision videos on Chapters 1+2 for M2.

Complete a select few summary questions from Chapters 1+2 for M2.

So essentially all I'm aiming to do here is to solidify S2 and also the part of M2 that I've done. If I have enough time I'll also try and progress through the M2 textbook.

UCAS update

So I sent off my UCAS application on Tuesday last week...

On Thursday, I received an offer from UCL for MSci Physics, subject to the conditions (AAA). :woo:
I was really chuffed as last time it took them 6 months to give me an offer, and this time I didn't know if I'd even get an offer at all... :colondollar:

I also received acknowledgements from the other four universities stated in the first post, I'll hopefully hear back from them soon. :smile:

---

That's all for now, see you on Wednesday!
Yayy well done on the offer! That's really great :smile: hope this week goes okay!
Congratulations on the offer! :woo:
Original post by furryface12
Yayy well done on the offer! That's really great :smile: hope this week goes okay!

Tysm! :hugs:

Hope you’re well?

Original post by Pathway
Congratulations on the offer! :woo:

How are things?

Hope you’re well?

How are things?

They're OK. How are you?

Update XV

As I was just copying and pasting the update format over for this post, I suddenly realised that I have no recollection of Monday whatsoever. Literally none, it's like it never happened. So really it seems like I have only had two days between this update and my last, where I was at work for one of those.

I don't know if it's due to this or not, but I feel like I've been very unproductive. Idk really, I'm quite confused so let's just move on to the main update.

Revision of aims (commencing 11th December 2017-13th December 2017)

Watch revision videos for S2.

Watch revision videos on Chapters 1+2 for M2.

You may have already gathered, but I really find revision videos helpful. It's nice to have somebody explaining it to you rather than you explaining it to yourself through a textbook. Helps for consolidation.

Didn't really have time to complete some summary questions, but that's entirely my fault. I might try forcing myself out of the house everyday to do studying, that way I won't end up falling asleep.

Aims (commencing 14th December 2017-17th December 2017)

Make some progress with M2.

I really want to go over FP1 again, but it's a huge module and will take up too much time. I figure that I'll have to save it for until I've finished M2. I do need to do it before FP2, so I guess there's no better time than right before I start FP2.

UCAS update

I received an offer from University of Bristol earlier today for MSci Theoretical Physics - AAB. I was very very shocked as the expected offer is A*AA, but I must have qualified for a contextual offer or extenuating circumstances as it's two grades lower than the one advertised. I'm really chuffed by this, it's now going to be the same offer that I'll receive from King's College London.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending