Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Entry 1: 01/11/17

Mood: Loopy :crazy:
Days to Mocks: 12
Song of the Day: Suran (ft. 창모): WINE

Diary Entry:

Hi Everyone!

It's the first of November today and I can already feel the chill and autumn-ness of everything. Call me strange, but I just happen to like cold weather.
I could be a penguin. I mean, I would get to slide around on my belly all day, it'd be Awesome! I would be so fluffy too! :penguinhug:

It being Hallow'een yesterday, we woke up today to find a beautiful present adorning the front of our house.
(Drum roll, please!)

A Chicken Egg! (Broken, naturally.) :egg:

Really warmed the cockles of my heart, it did.
Took ages to come off 'cause it'd been frozen to the glass of the windows.

Yum.

Anyway... It's only been a few days from half term, but I feel like it has been such a long time since I've walked through my school's corridors.
Do you ever get that feeling? The feeling that you haven't been a school for AGES, but it was only a few days ago since you last opened your locker?
It's weird.

Brief(-ish) Tip:

If anyone else does Music GCSE here, you'll know the struggle of Appraising ( Basically analysing a piece- but it's even worse than Poem learning :musicus:).

What helps me is just to read through the study guide and make brief notes- they really help in a pinch. (Or just be lazy and use this site my friend showed me: Music Revision Notes)

Oh, and if you're having problems with dictation, use teoria.com. (Click on Music Theory Training & Ear Training Exercises.)
Just a little a day can keep up your music grade!TM
(Not scientifically proven)

Much Luck to you my Friends! :ciao:

Best Wishes,
Yodaller

Baiiiiiiiii
Reply 21
Original post by Toastiekid
Woah I have found another being who studies mandarin as a foreign language (I do edexcel tho) how do you find it? I love learning it so much, it's so interesting :biggrin: also do French and have the nicest exchange partner. We're only allowed to do two languages maximum at my school though
:tongue: good luck with your gyg and gcses! I have a gyg thread. As well :biggrin:
TOASTIEKID x
Not sure what's up with this ranDom capitalisation oops

Hiya!
Looks like we're Language buddies! :biggrin: I love doing languages too. You're so lucky to have an exchange- I was jealous of the others when they did the program at my school (I didn't do it...) I'll be sure to check out your thread. Good luck to you too! :smile:
Original post by Yodaller
Hiya!
Looks like we're Language buddies! :biggrin: I love doing languages too. You're so lucky to have an exchange- I was jealous of the others when they did the program at my school (I didn't do it...) I'll be sure to check out your thread. Good luck to you too! :smile:

Yeah the exchange is definitely one of the best parts of making a language...my sister's actually going to visit my French exchange soon :smile: we had a one way Chinese exchange (they came here we didn't go there) which was interesting for us (I tried a meat floss cake which was weird tasting. If I stay at my school for sixth form then there'll be a proper trip to China but I'm currently undecided! Good luck (again) with gcses, they suck but we can make it through it!
Reply 23
Entry 2: 13/11/17

Mood: Crushed :cry2:
Day 1 of Mocks
Song of the Day: HIGHLIGHT- 어쩔 없지뭐 (Could Be Better)

Diary Entry:

Hey Everyone, it's really great to see you again.

It's been a while since I last talked to you, and I'm sorry about this. You could put it down to pure procrastination, I guess. :colondollar: Never mind...

Anyway, the most noteworthy thing today was definitely that it was the FIRST DAY OF MOCKS (Screams all round!!!). Our schedule today was:

R.S. 1h45 (Starting time 8:45)
and Chemistry 2h (ST: 13:30)

At our school, we were lucky enough to have a kind of trial run in Year 10 during Exam Week- while the actual exams were going on, we were in the adjoining hall in the same setup. So I knew what to expect.

Or so I thought. (Dun dun dun) :devil3:

To tell the truth, I hadn't revised as in depth as I should have- a fact I already regret.

But as I opened that paper and put pen to paper... I nearly felt my life force sapping out of me.

It was hard and I didn't quite finish the last question in the R.S. Exam. Oh, and I need to revise more sources of Jewish teaching. Most of my revision has revolved around the Christianity section and that was a mistake because I focused on something I already (mostly) knew.

Following my disastrous performance, we had a couple hours 'down time' while the Classical Civilisation people did their thing. After a bit of ranting with my friends at break (Just kidding!). My Friend E. and I headed downstairs to the Library and just started really shoving in that Chemistry knowhow. :smartass:

I've got to say, the textbook is so much more useful than I ever thought, especially in conjunction with a revision guide. I will definitely keep that in mind for my other subject revision.

The Chemistry exam itself was alright...Kinda. Sigh... I have a habit of adding stars to questions I'm not sure about so that when we go over the paper I can see where I had difficulties. Nearly every single page had those stars.

It ended up like the Milky Way... :starwars: (I couldn't resist, Sorry)

Anyway, I'm sorry to be a Debby Downer- I just hope all of your Mocks are going better

Good Luck to all!

Best Wishes,
Yodaller

P.S.: The Song of the Day has really cheered me up though :dance:, you can really tell that I wrote this entry before I added it :P (Plus the video's absolutely bonkers- Vegan/ Vegetarian warning!)

I should really thank my friend for bringing it to my attention- thanks, N.!
hey!! im sure you'll do fab in your mocks, i feel the same when my mind goes blank in an exam!
Reply 25
Original post by mez_merising
hey!! im sure you'll do fab in your mocks, i feel the same when my mind goes blank in an exam!

Thanks, you're too kind :smile:
Reply 26
Entry 3: 14/11/17

Mood: Umm... Befuzzled?
Day 2 of Mocks
Song of the Day: AKMU (악동뮤지션)- RE-BYE

Diary Entry:

Well...
It's been a weird day.
Yeah.

Today's schedule:
Maths 1h30 (8:45)
French- Reading 1h (11:15)
History-Paper 1 2h (13:30)

Gotta say, Maths is an absolutely terrible way to start the day. 24 questions straight from the depths of Hell. :mob:

Eh, I guess they weren't that bad?

I had that thing when you're 3 minutes from the end and suddenly you get a flash of inspiration so I scribbled an answer down in my *cough* best handwriting. My handwriting is barely legible at best, so fingers crossed!

Oh, and I used a pencil instead of black ink -_- I don't know why! Don't ask me! I think it's because it just magically appeared in my hand. I like pencils... :emo:

Despite the stumble at the start, French and History went pretty well. Thank goodness!

But I'm a little suspicious of the fact that I finished early. Especially in History, it's a fight to get that last word in. But 15 mins spare?!

WHAT IS THIS SORCERY :wizard:

That combined with 45 mins of free French exam... I probably only got 10 marks now that I think about it...
Drawing cats on my work is more entertaining anyway.

Anyway, I've got English Lit. tomorrow so I need to put in some hardcore Macbeth quote learning. See ya!

Best Wishes,
Yodaller :happy2:
Entry 3: 14/11/17

Mood: Umm... Befuzzled?
Day 2 of Mocks
Song of the Day: AKMU (악동뮤지션)- RE-BYE

Diary Entry:

Well...
It's been a weird day.
Yeah.

Today's schedule:
Maths 1h30 (8:45)
French- Reading 1h (11:15)
History-Paper 1 2h (13:30)

Gotta say, Maths is an absolutely terrible way to start the day. 24 questions straight from the depths of Hell. :mob:

Eh, I guess they weren't that bad?

I had that thing when you're 3 minutes from the end and suddenly you get a flash of inspiration so I scribbled an answer down in my *cough* best handwriting. My handwriting is barely legible at best, so fingers crossed!

Oh, and I used a pencil instead of black ink -_- I don't know why! Don't ask me! I think it's because it just magically appeared in my hand. I like pencils... :emo:

Despite the stumble at the start, French and History went pretty well. Thank goodness!

But I'm a little suspicious of the fact that I finished early. Especially in History, it's a fight to get that last word in. But 15 mins spare?!

WHAT IS THIS SORCERY :wizard:

That combined with 45 mins of free French exam... I probably only got 10 marks now that I think about it...
Drawing cats on my work is more entertaining anyway.

Anyway, I've got English Lit. tomorrow so I need to put in some hardcore Macbeth quote learning. See ya!

Best Wishes,
Yodaller :happy2:

haha good luck with the quote learning! what exam boards are you doing for maths and history?
Reply 28
Original post by mez_merising
haha good luck with the quote learning! what exam boards are you doing for maths and history?

For Maths, EdExcel (9-1) and for History CiE iGCSE :smile: Do you do those subjects?
For Maths, EdExcel (9-1) and for History CiE iGCSE :smile: Do you do those subjects?

yeah but aqa for history.
idk how im gonna learn all the equations for maths!?
Reply 30
Try making a Quizlet set (that's how I learnt them), or you could find a poster online. Our teacher has a really great one, I'll try to take a picture of it if I can!
Your mocks seem to be going pretty okay so far and I'm sure you'll do well in them. At least they're only mocks!:redface:
What modules are you doing for history? I don't know how CiE history works so I'm really curious:tongue:
Reply 32
Original post by troubletracking
Your mocks seem to be going pretty okay so far and I'm sure you'll do well in them. At least they're only mocks!:redface:
What modules are you doing for history? I don't know how CiE history works so I'm really curious:tongue:

Well, we don't really have modules per se. Well, at least they label it as topics in our textbook! Our main writing papers consist of (the topics we've done so far) the collapse of international peace in 1939, the fairness of the peace treaties (1919-1923), a depth study in Germany and we'll have coursework in Russia. I think the coursework will be focused on Stalin, I don't completely know yet to be honest!
Well, we don't really have modules per se. Well, at least they label it as topics in our textbook! Our main writing papers consist of (the topics we've done so far) the collapse of international peace in 1939, the fairness of the peace treaties (1919-1923), a depth study in Germany and we'll have coursework in Russia. I think the coursework will be focused on Stalin, I don't completely know yet to be honest!

Wow, your history looks so much more interesting than mine (why someone decided the American West was an engaging topic for GSCE I’ll never know🙄) One of the main reasons I’m considering doing A Level history is that a huge part of it is Stalin and Tsarist Russia, how are you finding it?

Loving your blog btw😁
Reply 34
Original post by troubletracking
Wow, your history looks so much more interesting than mine (why someone decided the American West was an engaging topic for GSCE I’ll never know🙄) One of the main reasons I’m considering doing A Level history is that a huge part of it is Stalin and Tsarist Russia, how are you finding it?

Loving your blog btw😁

Hahaha, guess 'cause cowboys are an essential part of History? Sorry I can't enlighten you on that topic, as we haven't started it yet! But good luck to you, I'm choosing A level history too. I'm just about ready for my hand to fall off.

And thanks :smile:
Reply 35
Entry 4: 16/11/17

Mood: Knackered
Day 4 of Mocks
Song of the Day: Taeyeon (태연)- 11:11

Diary Entry:

Hiya, sorry for nor writing yesterday, but I was just so tired I just passed out on my bed as soon as I got back. :sleep:

Anyway, yesterday's exams were: Maths 2 (1h 30), English Literature (45 mins) and Latin (1h 15/30).

Maths was... Maths. English was a lot better than anticipated, mostly because I was expecting to expire at my desk before the first 10 minutes were up, partly due to the stress exuded by my fellow classmates (Ask me why I'm typing so posh- I'm tired).

English Literature was a passage from Act 1, Scene 5 of Macbeth and based on Lady M and how powerful/controlling she is. Basically, I just banged down some drivel about puppetry. I honestly did try, but it just came out like the groanings of a wannabe Emo; structure just goes straight out the window. :stupido:

Had a slight run-in with Latin, both mentally and physically. Not just because my Vocab knowledge is soooooo extensive; but because I fell on my face in my hurry to make way for a teacher. Sounds weird, was weird. I also have a feeling I may have crushed one of my friend's fingers in the process (I'm sorry! :puppyeyes:), but no ambulances were called, so we're all good.

Today's schedule was really chock-a-block: Physics 2h (13:30)
And that was it.

I had the great fortune to spend the morning at home (I might have just emptied the fridge...) because we only need to go into school when we have an exam.

And what did I do with the extra revision time? I watched cat videos. Specifically, cats with cucumbers. Because why not?

Physics was alright, I guess? I mean, I did the questions I COULD do in about 30 mins flat. But then the rest of the test... Yeah.

Ended up getting so stressed that I started drawing Owls on the back of my test paper. Specifically, "Greg the Hoot Owl of Death". I coloured him in too. :ike:

(Take your judgement away. I can feel the laser beams on my back. :catfight:)

I wished to repeat yesterday's evening activity, but, since I have a violin exam in about a week, I practiced for a bit. So, my eyes are now just blinking like the light on a torch with a dying battery.

BUT, Lady Luck smiles on us! Tomorrow, no exams! (That's because all the Art/Food technology people are doing their practical exams) Also, no exams on Monday! YAY!!! :party2:

ehem. I mean, I love exams. *Clears throat*

Anyway, to any of you who may have exams tomorrow, and to future me, you are (hopefully) doing something, much, much, more important... Good Luck!

Best Wishes,
Yodaller :smile:

P.S.: If I've made any mistakes, I'm sorry, can't be bothered to edit it. Any complaints, please send it to the email below:

Idon'twanttotakethisseriously@cats.com :bigsmile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 36
Entry 5: 17/11/17

Mood: Idiotic
(Kind of) Day 5 of Mocks
Song of the Day: MAMAMOO- 음오아예 (Um Ah Oh Yeh)

Entry:

Good Evening Everyone!

Today has been a godsend. As my fellow arty classmates slave away at school, I have had the good fortune the stay at home. :smile:

Because of the freedom bestowed upon us, I had two music lessons today- Piano and violin. And, for some reason, we also went to ASDA. All that Christmas stuff... :santa2:

I'm not usually the most Christmassy person but all those baubles just made me think, "I need absolutely everything here. Especially those Santa garland lights. I NEED THEM NOW!"

I didn't get anything in the end.

Didn't really do any revision today, aside from the odd glance at a textbook. Instead, I did something really stupid and I'm going to tell you now.

You're welcome. :bigsmile:

Anyway, if you've ever been on the weird side of Youtube (not the weird, WEIRD side. Get your minds out of the gutter), you'll have seen those videos of slime making. They're really weird.

Off topic.

So, last summer, when my Dad and I were Asia, we came across a cheapy/dollar store called Daiso. Inside, they sold this strange slime thingy that claims to keep your keyboard clean by having the dust stick to it. :cyber: So I thought I was a good investment for a Pound.

What I imagine, normal, rational humans do is to put a thickish layer of it on their keyboard, and then peel it straight off. What I did is put a thickish layer (alright, a big blob of the stuff) on the middle of the laptop keyboard- and then left it to do its thing.

Little did I know, the slime likes to spread itself out, oozing outwards. And although I already knew that there are small gaps below the keys of a keyboard, I didn't think anything of it.

Anyway, around 4 hours later, the slime has managed to seep under the keys of the keyboard. After a brief (-ish) panic, I took a toothpick and tried to clean it off. I gotta say, my keyboard is a lot springy-er than before. :congrats:

Gosh, I'm an idiot.

Doesn't quite beat that time I tried to cool down in the summer by putting Silly Putty on my forehead, thus getting it in my hair when I was 8.

Moral of the Story: Never trust me with slime.

Well, I hope all of you are having better luck with whatever slimy endeavours you may have.

Best Wishes,
Yodaller

P.S.: Below is an example of my enemy that I pinched off Google. Copyright laws and all that :P
Reply 37
Entry 6: 21/11/17

Mood: Blank :hare:
Day 7 of Mocks
Song of the Day: SHINee- View (An old favourite of mine- I adore this song, mainly 'cause of the nostalgia factor, haha)

Entry:

Hello Again! After that 4 day weekend (3 days since we last met), it's great to see you again! Was feeling a little sluggish this morning, but there's nothing quite like an English Language Exam to wake you up in the morning!

Our schedule today:
English Language (1h 45) 8:45
Biology (2h) 13:30

To be honest, I didn't revise for English Language. Shoot me. :shot:

I just thought that simply being an avid reader (as of recent free iBooks (missing out the ridiculous romantic novels, obviously), whatever I find on the floor and the Guardian) would save me.

Hahaha. Nope.

Our sources were surrounding the theme of children and how fast they grow up, or something along those lines. The passages were quite sweet really, but the sentimentality kind of went over my head in my blind pen fury.

Speaking of the persuasive writing section (Rubbish segue there, work on it). Haha... Yeah. :banghead:

It was to write an article for a broadsheet newspaper- "Parent's these days are over-protective. They are protecting their children from the hard knocks in life"- and writing an opinion piece on it. (Can't remmebr the exact wording)

In my (opposite of) euphoric state, I vaguely remmeber jotting down something about swings and bubble wrap. And I'm pretty sure my ending line was something like: "Everyone should be allowed to use the slides". I just hope my teacher doesn't penalise me too much.

Que the few hour interlude before Biology. (a.k.a furious revision :awesome:)

It's great that we had that time just to chill out, kind of. I guess that's what the time is INTENDED for, but, hey what can ya do? A girl needs to fit 2 1/4 years of not listening in Biology lessons into 2 hours. Serves me right!

The test itself wasn't too bad, apart from the long time that we just had to wait out after finishing. Oh! One thing, the neurone. I always forget to revise that part, but it always seems to creep on our tests. Maybe if I write it down now I'll remember? Wishful thinking...

Anyway, I've got Mandarin characters learning to do now, so I'll see you tomorrow! BYEEEEE :wavey:

Best Wishes,
Yodaller
Reply 38
Entry 7: 23/11/17

Mood: Foolish/Excited :pika:
Day 9 of Mocks (1 day to go!!!)
Song of the Day: WINNER- REALLY REALLY

Entry:

'Ullo Beautiful people! I'm so excited! Mocks are nearly over!!!

WOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! :danceboy:

Anyway, yesterday we had 2 exams, just like today. Mandarin reading and History yesterday, Mandarin and French writing today.

There's something I really hate, and that's learning to write Chinese characters. For me, I have to write them over, and over again. I spent 2/4 hours filling in sheets of A4 with characters.

I didn't even get through the whole vocab list (which is around 896 terms/phrases in total). It did pay off today though, making the test easier than anticipated. Fingers crossed that I don't forget them all by tomorrow!

History... Well. Oh dear. Anyone else find Sources hard? Just learning the question types and getting them into my head is my biggest problem. I would say it's because I always miss the big message. Our teacher says that only practice will help, guess my Christmas holidays are sorted. :dumbells:

There's something I've realized in the past few days and that is that I work incessantly fast (apart from subjects like History or English, of course. I'm not a monster), leaving me with MASSIVE amounts of time. Case in point, today's French exam. Finished the whole paper in 10 minutes. What is wrong with me?? Either I did really well or absolutely flunked it. Here's hoping for the former.

Oh, and a word of warning for future Yodaller. READ THE WHOLE QUESTION, YOU IDIOT. :unimpressed:

Why do I say this, you ask? (You probably don't, but I'm telling you anyway :tongue:)

In the Mandarin test, we have to write a kind of essay question. Me, like the headless chicken I am, read the first few characters of the introductory section of the question, which were 笔友 (meaning 'pen pal':wink:. Assuming that I had to write about my non-existent penpal, I used the prompts to write a rather large piece of writing, spanning about 160 characters.

"I'm done! :ahee: How great!" I thought naively.

All I can say is that I'm so glad I checked my work and the question. Because the exercise wasn't to describe an imaginary penpal, but rather to describe a favorite actor/ess to said invisible friend.

Sigh. I'm just glad I caught myself before I gave it in.

I really, REALLY hope I haven't made any more stupid mistakes this fortnight.

Anyway, here's hoping for a good last day of mocks, see ya!

Best Wishes,
Yodaller

P.S.: Gotta say, this song always makes me feel excited. Might be because it reminds me of when I was in Korea with my dad this summer.

Around lunchtime, we were looking for a restaurant I'd found on the interwebs near Ewha University and were about to give up finding it because we'd walked for ages before we suddenly spotted it across the road (it turned out that we had walked down the wrong side of the street:facepalm:).

My dad gets super hangry and he doesn't like exercise either. Anyway, we finally got to Mr. Bossam (미스터 보쌈) (the food was also pretty good) and this song was playing. I guess the song reminds me of Bossam (보쌈) and Naengmyeon (냉면)? It just makes me happy whenever I play it.

TL;DR: I like this song because it reminds me of food :u:
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending