The Student Room Group

I'm Australian but I don't actually know how to apply to Australia?

I highkey understand that this website is mainly for the UK, but the Higher Education staff team at my school isn't actually helping Australian students apply whatsoever let alone any AUS university applicants, hence why I am coming here for help.

Next year I'll be finishing off my A Levels (2nd years right now A2) and although I roughly know when the deadlines are, there aren't any official websites (that I have come across anyways) which include all the details of applying to anywhere in Australia for university. I know from my own research that each state has their own application website hence I can't really go to my friends for help since they too are struggling AND applying to a different state than to mine.

I also am only assuming that Australia doesn't look at your individual A Level subject grades but instead only looks at the total (since each grade has its own numbering system e.g: A* = 6, A = 5, B = 4, C = 3, Bach MEng = 9 –> CCC). I've had multiple meetings with the HE department staff and many of them were clueless about applying to AUS.

I mainly just want to know a few things:
1. When do we apply and are there specific time periods for different courses? (Apart from obviously medicine)
2. What happens during the application process? (As in do we just input the scores or the grades?)
3. When will we get offers? The year we apply for the year after (Since the 1st semesters are usually in February)
4. How many university choices do we have? In my case, Adelaide (South Australia)
–– I already know the website I have to use to apply, satac but apart from that, I am completely clueless. Applying to university is the last thing I want to think about during my exams.

I love suffering :')
Original post by schizophony
I highkey understand that this website is mainly for the UK, but the Higher Education staff team at my school isn't actually helping Australian students apply whatsoever let alone any AUS university applicants, hence why I am coming here for help.

Next year I'll be finishing off my A Levels (2nd years right now A2) and although I roughly know when the deadlines are, there aren't any official websites (that I have come across anyways) which include all the details of applying to anywhere in Australia for university. I know from my own research that each state has their own application website hence I can't really go to my friends for help since they too are struggling AND applying to a different state than to mine.

I also am only assuming that Australia doesn't look at your individual A Level subject grades but instead only looks at the total (since each grade has its own numbering system e.g: A* = 6, A = 5, B = 4, C = 3, Bach MEng = 9 –> CCC). I've had multiple meetings with the HE department staff and many of them were clueless about applying to AUS.

1. When do we apply and are there specific time periods for different courses? (Apart from obviously medicine)
2. What happens during the application process? (As in do we just input the scores or the grades?)
3. When will we get offers? The year we apply for the year after (Since the 1st semesters are usually in February)
4. How many university choices do we have? In my case, Adelaide (South Australia)
–– I already know the website I have to use to apply, satac but apart from that, I am completely clueless. Applying to university is the last thing I want to think about during my exams.

I love suffering :':wink:

The best thing to do is email the Australian universities you're thinking of applying to then they can advise you on all those points you have asked :smile:
Reply 2

I've moved your thread to TSR's Australia forum. You might get more expert help in here.

To be clear, you are currently in the UK, but applying to Australia? And you are an Australian citizen?

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)

1./3. There are two main application periods: For the Winter Semester (First Semester) and the Summer Semester (Second Semester). Some courses are not available for starting in the summer semester so you may need to check information on the specific courses you are applying to. Specific dates for application deadlines also vary depending on the specific universities. For SATAC, key dates for applications can be found through this link: http://www.satac.edu.au/pages/undergraduate-clarify-2018-key-dates
^You can find out when you'll receive offers from this page as well.

2./4. SATAC is somewhat like UCAS in some senses because it's a centralized application service for a group of universities. You have to enter your personal details, qualifications, predicted/achieved scores etc... When you begin a new application, this information should all be stated in the instructions and you should guided on a step by step basis on what you need to fill put.

You have 6 spots available to choose courses you want to study. Those 6 spots or preferences can be from any course/ university... so hypothetically you can apply to 6 courses from the same university or 6 universities. SATAC operates on a preference system. SATAC assumes that your first preference is the course that you want to study the most.

For more information, visit this link: http://www.satac.edu.au/pages/undergraduate-clarify-how-to-apply-2018

Btw: Are you only considering universities in Southern Australia? because SATAC is only for unis in Southern Australia. (My assumption is that you are but just checking.)

I hope this helps and good luck on your exams and university applications! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Doonesbury
I've moved your thread to TSR's Australia forum. You might get more expert help in here.

To be clear, you are currently in the UK, but applying to Australia? And you are an Australian citizen?

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I'm and Australian born citizen and I'm going to be applying to South Australia for University :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by wolfmoon88
1./3. There are two main application periods: For the Winter Semester (First Semester) and the Summer Semester (Second Semester). Some courses are not available for starting in the summer semester so you may need to check information on the specific courses you are applying to. Specific dates for application deadlines also vary depending on the specific universities. For SATAC, key dates for applications can be found through this link: http://www.satac.edu.au/pages/undergraduate-clarify-2018-key-dates
^You can find out when you'll receive offers from this page as well.

2./4. SATAC is somewhat like UCAS in some senses because it's a centralized application service for a group of universities. You have to enter your personal details, qualifications, predicted/achieved scores etc... When you begin a new application, this information should all be stated in the instructions and you should guided on a step by step basis on what you need to fill put.

You have 6 spots available to choose courses you want to study. Those 6 spots or preferences can be from any course/ university... so hypothetically you can apply to 6 courses from the same university or 6 universities. SATAC operates on a preference system. SATAC assumes that your first preference is the course that you want to study the most.

For more information, visit this link: http://www.satac.edu.au/pages/undergraduate-clarify-how-to-apply-2018

Btw: Are you only considering universities in Southern Australia? because SATAC is only for unis in Southern Australia. (My assumption is that you are but just checking.)

I hope this helps and good luck on your exams and university applications! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you so much! :biggrin:
Also, I'm only applying to South Australia (parents' decision haha)
This is exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you so much! :biggrin:
Also, I'm only applying to South Australia (parents' decision haha)

No problem :smile: glad it helped! and good luck!
Good luck with your application. Remember, if you come to London you can see the Ashes that will be kept by England this winter!
Reply 8
Thank you! I'm and Australian born citizen and I'm going to be applying to South Australia for University :biggrin:

Excellent. And where are you currently living?
Reply 9
Original post by Doonesbury
Excellent. And where are you currently living?

Malaysia as an expat.
Reply 10
Malaysia as an expat.

Ah ok, hence doing A-levels.

We have census dates before course entries.

we use ATAR (aus tertiary admission rank), I think it gets converted to it.

start of the year, there's like a few offer rounds, not sure for international students.

not sure about Adelaide/SA, but in Sydney we have a lot. there's probably many in SA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending