The Student Room Group

What should you do after Year 11 (GCSE)

I want to become a fashion designer but what is the normal route someone will take to end up in Uni or a job as a fashion designer....college then uni or..

I would appreciate it if someone can help me thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

have u researched? did u find anything about it?
Reply 2
You could ask local colleges that are similar to BCoT and do fashion related courses like hair and barbering.
A girl in my year (at A Level) who wanted to enter the fashion industry took geography, English and design and technology (not sure exactly what type but maybe textiles?) and she had a part time job at Gap.

She went the university route and applied for fashion (I think Leeds has a course) and I know she had to produce her own portfolio to present at interviews and for the general admissions process.

Hopefully this gives you an idea of one route you could take.
Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx
have u researched? did u find anything about it?

Yes i have done research..i just came here for new ideas and what people would think about it :smile:
Original post by Mesopotamian.
A girl in my year (at A Level) who wanted to enter the fashion industry took geography, English and design and technology (not sure exactly what type but maybe textiles?) and she had a part time job at Gap.

She went the university route and applied for fashion (I think Leeds has a course) and I know she had to produce her own portfolio to present at interviews and for the general admissions process.

Hopefully this gives you an idea of one route you could take.

Ohh Thank you for telling me, my school doesn't do textiles only Art and Product Design (Which i took for GCSE's). :smile:
Original post by Abiabiabiabi
Yes i have done research..i just came here for new ideas and what people would think about it :smile:

yh sorry, i dont know much steps to fashion designing, but im pretty sure u have to do something art related in college, unless u are doing art for GCSE and u are good at it
yh sorry, i dont know much steps to fashion designing, but im pretty sure u have to do something art related in college, unless u are doing art for GCSE and u are good at it

Yes i do Art for GCSE..thanks for the help :smile:
I want to become a fashion designer but what is the normal route someone will take to end up in Uni or a job as a fashion designer....college then uni or..

I would appreciate it if someone can help me thanks :smile:

A BTEC Level 3 in Fashion or UAL Level 3 Diploma in Art and Design. Trust me this is the best route. :smile:

Art degrees are the only time Level 3 Vocational qualifications are better than doing A Levels. Most A Level students who want to do art after have to spend an extra year doing a Foundation Diploma to help them prepare a portfolio and gain the skills for degree. People who do BTEC or a UAL Diploma usually don't have to as their college course is already vocational and already prepares them well for degree. From there both courses will easily get you into an Fashion degree.

It's indeed good to have a part time job in fashion retail during college or during uni.
Yes i do Art for GCSE..thanks for the help :smile:

np, but if u dont mind me asking, how comes u want to be a fashion designer?
np, but if u dont mind me asking, how comes u want to be a fashion designer?

Sure, well since i was born i loved art i was always drawing and painting and wasting clothes. I used get in trouble for cutting my clothes and gluing it together or painting on it etc. I want to do something creative and something where i can make stuff. Right now i have so many ideas and i want to make come alive. I love product design as well but i want to steer my life towards fashion design, something i will enjoy doing for the rest of my life if possible. So i took Art and Product design (fashion or textiles aren't available in my grammar school) and aimed towards either art or design. :smile: There you go
Original post by yellowcopter
A BTEC Level 3 in Fashion or UAL Level 3 Diploma in Art and Design. Trust me this is the best route. :smile:

Art degrees are the only time Level 3 Vocational qualifications are better than doing A Levels. Most A Level students who want to do art after have to spend an extra year doing a Foundation Diploma to help them prepare a portfolio and gain the skills for degree. People who do BTEC or a UAL Diploma usually don't have to as their college course is already vocational and already prepares them well for degree. From there both courses will easily get you into an Fashion degree.

It's indeed good to have a part time job in fashion retail during college or during uni.

Thank you so much for this advice i will definitely take on board what you have told me :smile: So whats the difference between A BTEC Level 3 in Fashion or UAL Level 3 Diploma in Art and Design which one is more easier and advantages for Uni?
Thank you so much for this advice i will definitely take on board what you have told me :smile: So whats the difference between A BTEC Level 3 in Fashion or UAL Level 3 Diploma in Art and Design which one is more easier and advantages for Uni?

The BTEC Level 3 in Fashion is tailored only to fashion, it's better as you'll only be taught Fashion and it's fundamentals. You'll learn sewing, pattern cutting, how to research, trend boards etc. Your portfolio at the end of the 2 years will also be fashion-focused making it easier for you to get into a Fashion degree course after. :smile:

The UAL Level 3 Diploma in Art and Design is basically the same as the BTEC Level 3 in Art and Design. Either one will also easily get you into Fashion. Neither are easier, but the BTEC in Fashion does make it easier to make a portfolio to get into uni. The difficulties of both courses are equal. The only difference is in Art & Design you'll cover all forms of art, so graphics, fine art, photography, film, 3D, sculpture, drawing, painting etc. So it's less fashion focused, but you can focus on fashion throughout your time on the course (I did a Foundation Diploma in Art & Design and spent my whole time doing Graphic Design so it is possible)
Sure, well since i was born i loved art i was always drawing and painting and wasting clothes. I used get in trouble for cutting my clothes and gluing it together or painting on it etc. I want to do something creative and something where i can make stuff. Right now i have so many ideas and i want to make come alive. I love product design as well but i want to steer my life towards fashion design, something i will enjoy doing for the rest of my life if possible. So i took Art and Product design (fashion or textiles aren't available in my grammar school) and aimed towards either art or design. :smile: There you go

lol sounds like a great reason to pursue ur dreams, good luck and i hope u do make it, let me know how it goes btw x
Original post by yellowcopter
The BTEC Level 3 in Fashion is tailored only to fashion, it's better as you'll only be taught Fashion and it's fundamentals. You'll learn sewing, pattern cutting, how to research, trend boards etc. Your portfolio at the end of the 2 years will also be fashion-focused making it easier for you to get into a Fashion degree course after. :smile:

The UAL Level 3 Diploma in Art and Design is basically the same as the BTEC Level 3 in Art and Design. Either one will also easily get you into Fashion. Neither are easier, but the BTEC in Fashion does make it easier to make a portfolio to get into uni. The difficulties of both courses are equal. The only difference is in Art & Design you'll cover all forms of art, so graphics, fine art, photography, film, 3D, sculpture, drawing, painting etc. So it's less fashion focused, but you can focus on fashion throughout your time on the course (I did a Foundation Diploma in Art & Design and spent my whole time doing Graphic Design so it is possible)

Ohh This is useful..thank you for your help!! I'm probably going to focus on Fashion so BTEC Level 3 in Fashion because i am already doing art and design for GCSE. Thank you.
lol sounds like a great reason to pursue ur dreams, good luck and i hope u do make it, let me know how it goes btw x

Thank you! I hope i make it too XD and sure
what every person wants to do after they leave Yr 11, get ****ed. :smile:
Original post by ninja_uchiha
what every person wants to do after they leave Yr 11, get ****ed. :smile:

Wow lol, you must be having the time of your life :smile:
Wow lol, you must be having the time of your life :smile:

no, actually lol, i'm not cuz i've got mock exams scheduled this week but haaaaaaaa, due to extreme weather conditions it has come to closure and so will be rescheduled, now that makes things even worse actually cuz i don't know if they are going to delay them or just give us the exams the next day or something
Original post by ninja_uchiha
no, actually lol, i'm not cuz i've got mock exams scheduled this week but haaaaaaaa, due to extreme weather conditions it has come to closure and so will be rescheduled, now that makes things even worse actually cuz i don't know if they are going to delay them or just give us the exams the next day or something

I just finished my gcse mocks this week. You could just revise or go over notes or something because you have more time so luckyyy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending