The Student Room Group

Law Degree Employability at top Russell Group unis. Should I do a law degree?

I am planning to go to a top Russell university (LSE, UCL, KCL, Warwick, Nottingham, Bristol, Durham, Maybe Oxbridge)
My predicted grades are A*AA
The concern I have is to do with employment opportunities after I do the degree. How hard is it to get a training contract, pupillage or a job at a London financial firm?
My main concern right now is it if it's worth doing a Law Degree at a top Russell group university or another degree such as Accounting and Finance. My main issue being that of employability.
Furthermore, I am talking about employment opportunities which are financially lucrative.
Reply 1
Firstly, i'm 99% they're scrapping training contracts, the LPC and the postgrad conversion course.. so, hopefully, getting a job is going to be way easier(?) :h: This is meant to be happening no earlier than 2020.

Are you really planning to choose a degree on the basis of which one is going to make you the most employable? Or am I not understand correctly lol
Original post by Fwd
Firstly, i'm 99% they're scrapping training contracts, the LPC and the postgrad conversion course.. so, hopefully, getting a job is going to be way easier(?) :h: This is meant to be happening no earlier than 2020.

Are you really planning to choose a degree on the basis of which one is going to make you the most employable? Or am I not understand correctly lol

Wait what (1st year law UG)
Reply 3
Original post by Chichaldo
Wait what (1st year law UG)

:colondollar:

https://www.legalcheek.com/2017/04/its-official-the-lpc-and-gdl-are-being-scrapped/

I first read about it on the University of Law website. I think it's great lol, I'm also a first year and was freaking out daily about training contracts :redface:
Reply 4
Original post by Fwd

Thank you for replying. Firstly, where have you got this information from? (about the scrapping training contracts)
And, no I am not choosing a degree simply on its employability, but employability will play a significant role in my choice.
Reply 5
Original post by mutd2103
Thank you for replying. Firstly, where have you got this information from? (about the scrapping training contracts)
And, no I am not choosing a degree simply on its employability, but employability will play a significant role in my choice.

https://www.legalcheek.com/2017/04/its-official-the-lpc-and-gdl-are-being-scrapped/ & the Uni of Law website. Just google 'lpc changes' and loads of articles will show =)

Ah ok, I misunderstood :tongue:
Original post by Fwd
:colondollar:

https://www.legalcheek.com/2017/04/its-official-the-lpc-and-gdl-are-being-scrapped/

I first read about it on the University of Law website. I think it's great lol, I'm also a first year and was freaking out daily about training contracts :redface:

Hopefully it won't be too much harder but a lot cheaper - thanks!
My sister is a barrister for a prestigious chamber in Leeds. When I asked about doing law she said it was a silly idea as neither solicitors or barristers need it to practice. Do a degree in something respectably academic and then do a post graduate conversion course.
Original post by Fwd
https://www.legalcheek.com/2017/04/its-official-the-lpc-and-gdl-are-being-scrapped/ & the Uni of Law website. Just google 'lpc changes' and loads of articles will show =)

Ah ok, I misunderstood :tongue:

And just to be clear on the wording of your initial post; they are scrapping the requirement of a training contract to qualify but most large firms have stated that they will still be offering training contracts as the route to qualification post 2020.
Original post by Luke Collinson
My sister is a barrister for a prestigious chamber in Leeds. When I asked about doing law she said it was a silly idea as neither solicitors or barristers need it to practice. Do a degree in something respectably academic and then do a post graduate conversion course.

Or do a degree and learn lots of law. It may be useful to prospective lawyers.

For barristers, and indeed many small- to medium-sized, you will find yourself funding your GDL and the LPC/BPTC. A three year degree in law, while being interesting to a future lawyer, also means you "save" £10k-20k by not having to do the conversion course. If you're from a well-off family, perhaps this won't be a problem for you. Conversions tend to be down the high first and Oxbridge lines, also.
Reply 10
Original post by Insecable
And just to be clear on the wording of your initial post; they are scrapping the requirement of a training contract to qualify but most large firms have stated that they will still be offering training contracts as the route to qualification post 2020.

Ya, I've heard that =)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending