The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

PhD after Cambridge MST?

Other than threeportdrift, has anyone else been accepted to a PhD after an MSt at Cambridge?
Reply 1
Original post by OxonOxymoron
Other than threeportdrift, has anyone else been accepted to a PhD after an MSt at Cambridge?

Are you asking if it ever happens? Which of course it does...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by OxonOxymoron

Original post by Doonesbury
Are you asking if it ever happens? Which of course it does...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup, sadly I'm not that special! There aren't many MSt courses, they are relatively new in Cambridge terms, and because they are designed for part-time study and Cambridge are somewhat wary about the idea of part-time PhDs, the move from MSt ot PhD is probably statistically much lower than the usual Masters > phD figures. Having said that I know of at least 5 people that went from the MSt I did onto a Cam PhD, some part-time, some full-time.
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
Yup, sadly I'm not that special! There aren't many MSt courses, they are relatively new in Cambridge terms, and because they are designed for part-time study and Cambridge are somewhat wary about the idea of part-time PhDs, the move from MSt ot PhD is probably statistically much lower than the usual Masters > phD figures. Having said that I know of at least 5 people that went from the MSt I did onto a Cam PhD, some part-time, some full-time.

There must be quite a few mathmo MSt...PhD?

e.g. Arron Fernandez
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/people/a.fernandez/
Original post by Doonesbury
There must be quite a few mathmo MSt...PhD?

e.g. Arron Fernandez
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/people/a.fernandez/

I can't recall the exact details, but the MSt is the part-time version of a Cambridge MPhil. Part III is the old name for the super-duper genius Maths course but it fell foul of the new fee regime, such that (iirc and I may well not) if you were a Cam student you could count Part III as an integrated Masters but if you weren't a Cam student you couldn't and had to pay. So they introduced the MMath name and bleurgh, not sure exactly what but 'got round it' that way.

I don't think there is an MSt in Maths, there's IR, History, something in Education and some odd things in construction and architecture, and also creative writing.

EDIT - Actually, maybe they split the Part III into MMath and MASt (Masters in Advanced Studies) one being for Cam undergrads and one being for externals, but the same course just some way around the fee issue?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by threeportdrift
I can't recall the exact details, but the MSt is the part-time version of a Cambridge MPhil. Part III is the old name for the super-duper genius Maths course but it fell foul of the new fee regime, such that (iirc and I may well not) if you were a Cam student you could count Part III as an integrated Masters but if you weren't a Cam student you couldn't and had to pay. So they introduced the MMath name and bleurgh, not sure exactly what but 'got round it' that way.

I don't think there is an MSt in Maths, there's IR, History, something in Education and some odd things in construction and architecture, and also creative writing.

EDIT - Actually, maybe they split the Part III into MMath and MASt (Masters in Advanced Studies) one being for Cam undergrads and one being for externals, but the same course just some way around the fee issue?

Ah yes you're quite right Part III is part of the integrated MMath, or MASt for externals.

And Arron is going BA MMath ... PhD
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending