The Student Room Group

What happens if you have burger and chips every night

For the past month or so I've been ordering burger and chips most nights and now it's the only thing I crave. Normal dinners that I used to cook just don't compare. I often go for gbk burgers, how bad on my health is this?

Scroll to see replies

You get chicken cancer
Reply 2
You become the reason that people in the 3rd world starve.
You're shortening your life.
Reply 4
The thing is, I'm not putting on weight and I haven't seen any problems with my skin or bowels. I don't eat a great deal throughout the day to be honest, often cereal, light lunch, fruit, various snacks. That's probably why I crave such big unhealthy meals in the evening because my body doesn't get enough throughout the day.
Also, hi shameful_burrito :smile:, I recognised you from the old TSR account I had
Reply 6
I have food in my fridge and cupboards to eat but once again all I want right now is a burger.
Reply 7
Original post by Evandrus
You can't have what you love all the time. I know it's tempting to live off burgers and chips but you will get overweight and it increases the chance of a heart attack along with other health problems. Also, if you eat it all the time you will get bored of it.

Haha definitely not bored of it, plus I can just order a different takeaway. But yes I do worry about heart issues.
Original post by Anonymous
For the past month or so I've been ordering burger and chips most nights and now it's the only thing I crave. Normal dinners that I used to cook just don't compare. I often go for gbk burgers, how bad on my health is this?

Immediate issues I see with this diet:

1. Very nutritionally unbalanced. Virtually no Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Magnesium etc.
Nutritional deficiencies will leave you with slow to heal wounds, fatigue, declining eyesight, premature aging, poor circulation (cold feet and hands) etc.

2. Very high in Cholesterol/saturated fat (which clogs your heart arteries).

3. Very high in Sodium. Excessive Sodium in the diet leads to High Blood Pressure, water retention and blood vessel damage.

4. Very high in calories. A standard classic hamburger contains about 500-600 calories and when you add in a portion of chips & drink etc, expect the total calorie content of the meal to rise to 1000 calories. Excessive calories will long-term lead to excess weight gain.

ALSO:

5. Eating large high calorie dinners at night negatively interferes with quality of sleep, and in terms of weight gain, night time is one of the worst times to be eating this sort of high calorie food.

6. MSG (Monosodium glutamate); A lot of processed meat foods have it added to them (and its why they're so addictive/moreish). Burgers are notorious for having MSG added to them and it can cause headaches and make you hooked on junk food.

AND:

7. Simply taking multivitamins will not make up for all nutritional deficiencies. There is a lot of important stuff you can get from a balanced diet that is not (or never) included in your standard box of multivitamins.

Burgers & chips are junk food, and junk food meals like this should not be eaten more than once or twice a week. If you continue with this daily junk food diet for long enough, you will start to experience health problems (from the minor to the more serious) and age prematurely.
You're going to live in this body of yours for life (and if you mistreat it too much now, you could be paying miserably for all these junk food dinners later on).
(edited 6 years ago)
You live a happy life.

On a serious note, it depends on many factors. It's never going to be great for you, but if your activity level is high enough, and the rest of your diet otherwise geared towards mitigating the resultant nutritional deficiencies, you could get away with it for a while just fine.
Original post by Feastful
Immediate issues I see with this diet:

1. Very nutritionally unbalanced. Virtually no Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Magnesium etc.
Nutritional deficiencies will leave you with slow to heal wounds, fatigue, declining eyesight, premature aging, poor circulation (cold feet and hands) etc.

2. Very high in Cholesterol/saturated fat (which clogs your heart arteries).

3. Very high in Sodium. Excessive Sodium in the diet leads to High Blood Pressure, water retention and blood vessel damage.

4. Very high in calories. A standard classic hamburger contains about 500-600 calories and when you add in a portion of chips & drink etc, expect the total calorie content of the meal to rise to 1000 calories. Excessive calories will long-term lead to excess weight gain.

ALSO:

5. Eating large high calorie dinners at night negatively interferes with quality of sleep and nighttime is one of the worst times to be eating this sort of food in terms of weight gain.

6. MSG (Monosodium glutamat); A lot of processed meat foods have it added to them (and its why they're so addictive/moor-ish). Burgers are notorious for having MSG added to them and it can cause headaches and make you hooked on junk food.

AND:

7. Simply taking multivitamins will not make up for all nutritional deficiencies. There is a lot of important stuff you can get from a balanced diet that is not (or never) included in your standard box of multivitamins.

Burgers & chips are junk food and junk food meals like this should not be eaten more than once or twice a week. If you continue with this daily junk food diet for long enough, you will start to experience health problems (from the minor to the more serious) and age prematurely.
You're going to live in this body of yours for life (and if you mistreat it too much now, you could be paying miserably for all these junk food dinners later on).

I do take a multivitamin every day but yeah not the most balanced diet. I do feel like my lunches are decent though, I tend to have quinoa, fish, salads, pulses and generally healthy stuff. It's just every evening I feel the need to treat myself. But yes you're right, definitely too much processed meat. I used to struggle with eating and not eat enough so now I guess I'm just trying to at least ensure I'm getting enough protein and calories. I should stop but I think I just need to find some new recipes

You won't gain weight if your overall daily calories are below on near maintenance, however for the long term giving your body regular meals high in saturated fat isn't advisable, if you insist on this, trying changing to sweet potato fries - oven cooked, and a grilled chicken burger with lettuce.
I moved to a diet and that involved more fat and less carbs just to test it out and I lost 7 pounds in a month.

There is probably something in this. In which case the beef part of your diet equation is most likely not an issue if you are worried about getting fat or diabaties.
Original post by 11singhd
You won't gain weight if your overall daily calories are below on near maintenance, however for the long term giving your body regular meals high in saturated fat isn't advisable, if you insist on this, trying changing to sweet potato fries - oven cooked, and a grilled chicken burger with lettuce.

Yeah you're probably right about the chicken. I could definitely at least be making healthier choices with my takeaways.
I do take a multivitamin every day but yeah not the most balanced diet. I do feel like my lunches are decent though, I tend to have quinoa, fish, salads, pulses and generally healthy stuff. It's just every evening I feel the need to treat myself. But yes you're right, definitely too much processed meat. I used to struggle with eating and not eat enough so now I guess I'm just trying to at least ensure I'm getting enough protein and calories. I should stop but I think I just need to find some new recipes

There's nothing wrong with treating yourself, however right now you are crossing the threshold of "treats" and into general poor diet.

If you're going to eat any high calorie food, then make sure you eat it for breakfast (and certainly no later than lunch). This at least will give your body the time to process all the calories better (or think of meals like this: Breakfast= power yourself up for a long day ahead, Lunch= keep yourself going maintain balanced energy levels, supper= time to wind down the calories/sugar/caffeine etc for the day).

Burgers aren't actually a very good source of protein because they have so much added fat and starch etc.

If your diet is lacking in protein (or you are struggling to find ways to get protein into your diet in general), then I really recommend getting a cookbook like this one of this ones below.

100 High Protein Lunches:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/High-Protein-Lunches-Louise-Kang/dp/0995741239/ref=sr_1_19?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1517857529&sr=1-19&keywords=high+protein

High Protein Sweet Treats:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/High-Protein-Sweet-Treats-Pancakes/dp/0995741212/ref=sr_1_22?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1517857529&sr=1-22&keywords=high+protein

Plant-Protein Recipes:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plant-Protein-Recipes-That-Youll-Love/dp/1507204523/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1517857673&sr=1-6&keywords=budget+protein

Budget cooking:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tiny-Budget-Cooking-Saving-Tasted/dp/1509858105/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1517857832&sr=1-1&keywords=easy+budget+cooking

(And if you're strapped for time), Five Ingredients 10 minutes:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Five-Ingredients-Minutes-Jules-Clancy/dp/0718158741/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1517857932&sr=1-6&keywords=10+minute+cooking

Etc.

There's a whole world of fantastic cookbooks out there!

I myself used to struggle with meal idea's and dietary diversity in the past, but ever since I invested in some decent cookery books, it hasn't been any problem at all (and I have saved a lot of money and found it much easier to stay slim). If you don't have much money to spend on books too, there are thousands of secondhand cookbooks that can be snapped up on Ebay or Amazon or other places for £1 or less.
(edited 6 years ago)
obesity
you die.
Lol I was wondering if anyone was going to pick up on that XD .

(Profile pic is in reference to an art piece that I did)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I moved to a diet and that involved more fat and less carbs just to test it out and I lost 7 pounds in a month.

There is probably something in this. In which case the beef part of your diet equation is most likely not an issue if you are worried about getting fat or diabaties.

Carbs are broken down to sugar in the body and generally as a result contain more calories than fatty foods. Hence why you lost weight.

With that being said, if the food you ate was saturated fat then you are destroying yourself internally.

High fat diets should be more like fish, avacado/coconut ect..

Carbs are also not bad for you.

Call the Americans and they give you a green card 💳

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending