The Student Room Group

Can I terminate my house contract early?

I realised I do not want to be at my uni accommodation in the summer and I’d actually like to terminate my contract earlier, do you think it’s possible?
My landlord has said no for some pathetic excuse unless I find someone else but is there a way out of this? Thank you
In my contract there’s a clause to terminate tenancy early but the fee is £300 which is ridiculous
Generally in your contract it says you can't, which means you can't. You may find someone willing to take the room for the summer. If not you have to pay.
It's not a "pathetic excuse" at all, when you sign that contract you're saying you will live in the house for the duration of the lease, your landlord will be losing a lot of money just because you've decided you want to move out earlier than expected. Generally you'll be expected to either find a replacement or continue paying the rent whilst not actually living there.
Original post by storm95
I realised I do not want to be at my uni accommodation in the summer and I’d actually like to terminate my contract earlier, do you think it’s possible?
My landlord has said no for some pathetic excuse unless I find someone else but is there a way out of this? Thank you

As a landlord myself I can firmly say that you signed the contract. You have to pay or find a suitable replacement. Look at it like a mobile phone contract where you have to sign for the two years ...you can't get out of that early either.
Reply 5
Original post by squeakysquirrel
As a landlord myself I can firmly say that you signed the contract. You have to pay or find a suitable replacement. Look at it like a mobile phone contract where you have to sign for the two years ...you can't get out of that early either.

You can get out of some contracts if you pay a fee
Original post by storm95

Hey,

It all depends on your landlord and tenancy agreement I guess. Can the University do anything to help? I know at my Uni, when students need people to take over their tenancy agreements, our accommodation services helps with the advertising of their rooms and gives them advice about what to do next etc. Do you have anything like that to help you?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending