The Student Room Group

Are these good A Level ideas for me?

I'm currently in Year 10, but I have already started thinking about A Levels based on my current and new predicted grades(My school can't predict level 9 directly, 8+ basically means predicted 9)

Maths-8+
Geography-8+
History-8+
Physics-8+
Chemistry-8
Biology-8
French-7
English literature-7+
English language-7+

My favorite subject is Maths, I have always been interested in working in Finance when I'm older, and the subject I want to take for A Level are

Definite-
Double Maths(Maths and Further Maths)
Economics
Computer Science

One's I could do but am not so sure about-
Business(possibly) or
Geography(possibly).

Do you think these would be good A level choices for me? Should I do Business, Geography or Neither?
Original post by Zoqua
I'm currently in Year 10, but I have already started thinking about A Levels based on my current and new predicted grades(My school can't predict level 9 directly, 8+ basically means predicted 9)

Maths-8+
Geography-8+
History-8+
Physics-8+
Chemistry-8
Biology-8
French-7
English literature-7+
English language-7+

My favorite subject is Maths, I have always been interested in working in Finance when I'm older, and the subject I want to take for A Level are

Definite-
Double Maths(Maths and Further Maths)
Economics
Computer Science

One's I could do but am not so sure about-
Business(possibly) or
Geography(possibly).

Do you think these would be good A level choices for me? Should I do Business, Geography or Neither?

dont take more than 3 alevels its pointless especially when you're a clever all rounder. Even oxford and cambridge only expect three alevels so its a waste of your time doing 4 you're better doing three really well everyone I know who did more than 3 struggled with the workload especially with the new specifications of alevels
Original post by halliethestudent
dont take more than 3 alevels its pointless especially when you're a clever all rounder. Even oxford and cambridge only expect three alevels so its a waste of your time doing 4 you're better doing three really well everyone I know who did more than 3 struggled with the workload especially with the new specifications of alevels

I don't know how the new linear A Levels will affect things, but I think it is still normal for people taking Further Maths to take 4, because sometimes unis get a bit wierd about the fact you quite often end up taking the maths A Level in year 12, so maths wasn't achieved in you final year before uni. ( I know people with Cambridge maths offers where their already achieved A* in maths doesn't count to their offer)

Also although Further Maths is difficult, most people view it as less than a full additional A Level's worth of work. As well as the fact people enjoy having more than two subjects to work on.

That said, 5 A levels is a heavy work load even if one of the subjects is Further Maths. So don't do it to make yourself look impressive, I did 5 subjects in my first year at sixth form (but only took Maths A Level and Chem AS at the end of the year due to Comp Sci and Physics being linear) and I enjoyed it, but it took a lot of work and I didn't have the same amount of spare time as everyone else. That said I don't regret it, I enjoyed it, but I also wouldn't recommend it looking back now, as it was more effort than the extra AS is worth to me. And I am pretty sure I couldn't hope to achieve the grades I am aiming for now had I continued with it.

So I'd say Maths, Further Maths, Comp Sci and Economics is a very strong set of A Levels, and would only take another if you are absolutely certain that you feel that a) you can cope and b) breadth of knowledge means more to you than getting top marks, and even then I'd say consider very carefully.

Quick Reply

Latest