The Student Room Group

Can I make a competitive medical application to Russel group unis??

Hello, I am determined to apply for Medicine at the following unis, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Nottingham and Exeter.
However I am stressing alot at the minute and just need some clarification, my GCSE grades are as follows 4A*s 8As 1C
I am very worried about that one C, I think my personal statement will be good and my predicted grades will meet the requirements, also if I smashed the entrance exams, would I still be able to make a competitive application?
many thanks for reading this
Original post by KyloRen1048
Hello, I am determined to apply for Medicine at the following unis, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Nottingham and Exeter.
However I am stressing alot at the minute and just need some clarification, my GCSE grades are as follows 4A*s 8As 1C
I am very worried about that one C, I think my personal statement will be good and my predicted grades will meet the requirements, also if I smashed the entrance exams, would I still be able to make a competitive application?

What's the C in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
What's the C in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The C is in English Language, I emailed Edinburgh about it and they said they would take.my.literiture grade which is.an.A, it still annoys me, English language was one.of my best subjects
The C is in English Language, I emailed Edinburgh about it and they said they would take.my.literiture grade which is.an.A, it still annoys me, English language was one.of my best subjects

You might be better off resitting English Language. Put your four choices into https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/comparisontool/ - Nottingham and Exeter both want a B.

Or change your choice of unis.
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
You might be better off resitting English Language. Put your four choices into https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/comparisontool/ - Nottingham and Exeter both want a B.

Or change your choice of unis.

Thanks I am taking a resit, that C would of bothered me forever, if I got it to a B or an A do u think I would stand a chance
Thanks I am taking a resit, that C would of bothered me forever, if I got it to a B or an A do u think I would stand a chance

'Would have...' 😂

Yes you do stand a chance. Just make sure you understand the requirements of each medical school and how they assess your application, particularly with regard to GCSEs. Some weight your application according to various elements so you need to check.

Realistically your GCSEs are too low for Edinburgh and unless you have a really high ukcat I’d not apply to Nottingham tho Nottingham are quite GCSE heavy so I’m assuming they’ll need like an B in English Language ( I’d research)

For Exeter unless your predicted 3A stars at a level it’s unlikely you’ll get an interview

Don’t know much about Cambridge. Medicine is medicine regardless if it’s a Russell group ....
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending