The Student Room Group

Lane hoggers.

How do you deal with these people?

Scroll to see replies

just allow an extra five minutes for your journey

:rolleyes:
Okkkkk, don't get me started on lane hoggers. Like, why on earth would someone be sitting at 65mph, in RHL of the M40 at 2am... like, oh my god infuriated me...

Unfortunately, short of flashing and waiting, or undertaking. I decided in this case that since the motorway was empty and he was driving at an unsafe speed in the RHL, undertaking was ok and undertook. Afaik, (and can be corrected on this if wrong) undertaking itself isn't illegal, however if you're doing it recklessly or in an unsafe situation, you can be prosecuted with careless or dangerous driving... I tend to not undertake except in exceptional circumstances or if queueing/slow moving traffic.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by the beer
How do you deal with these people?

Generally beep and flash until they get the point and move in.
Had this on a dual carriageway near me on a Sunday morning when the road is dead anyway. Car was doing 50mph on the outside lane and I thought it was because he was either turning off at the crossroads further ahead or the roundabout just past it. Turns out he was changing back to the left lane on approach to the roundabout anyway. I would have gone up behind and flashed him but seeing as I was not in a big rush I left him be and hoped someone would come along to deal with him.
Reply 5
Usually given enough time they realise they're holding up traffic but if they don't I'll undertake if it's safe to do so. Usually after that happens they realise what they're doing and move out the way for the others behind. Otherwise it's a case of flashing the lights or even the horn.
I'm due a fine sooner or later for being a notorious 70mph middle laner. I'm aware enough to swap lanes to allow overtakes but otherwise if you want to find me, I'll be there. Not proud of it. Almost everyone has one weakness or bad driving habit and that's mine, the worst part is I sat left lane after I passed and my Dad pressured me to sit mid so I wouldn't have to keep moving every slip road. It's one thing I'd like to fix.

I almost never use the right hand lane unless person in front of me in middle lane is doing like 50 when it's clear. If it's like 60 I'll relax but any less and it's gonna be an overtake. I don't rush anywhere but reaching my destination on the same day would be nice.
Reply 8
Original post by nevershear
I'm due a fine sooner or later for being a notorious 70mph middle laner. I'm aware enough to swap lanes to allow overtakes but otherwise if you want to find me, I'll be there. Not proud of it. Almost everyone has one weakness or bad driving habit and that's mine, the worst part is I sat left lane after I passed and my Dad pressured me to sit mid so I wouldn't have to keep moving every slip road. It's one thing I'd like to fix.

I almost never use the right hand lane unless person in front of me in middle lane is doing like 50 when it's clear. If it's like 60 I'll relax but any less and it's gonna be an overtake. I don't rush anywhere but reaching my destination on the same day would be nice.

I've lost all respect for you :cry::cry2:

Get. Out. Of. The. Cars. And. Motoring. Forum. You. Corsa. Hating. Middle. Lane. Hogging. Idioting. Idiot.
Reply 10
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Get. Out. Of. The. Cars. And. Motoring. Forum. You. Corsa. Hating. Middle. Lane. Hogging. Idioting. Idiot.

He's got you there, @nevershear

Mummy says I'm not allowed to pack my own suitcase.

Original post by IWMTom
He's got you there, @nevershear

Tou-bloody-ché.

I BLAME THE PARENTS. I can deal with Sheepy, but worst of all is you Tom because you're not angry with me, just very disappointed :frown:

(Srs, my honesty is going to be my undoing one day).
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Mummy says I'm not allowed to pack my own suitcase.

Tou-bloody-ché.

I BLAME THE PARENTS. I can deal with Sheepy, but worst of all is you Tom because you're not angry with me, just very disappointed :frown:

(Srs, my honesty is going to be my undoing one day).

It's okay; I'm used to people disappointing me...

Spoiler

Is this an in-joke I don't get, or are you serious?
I typically sit in the right hand lane, and move to the middle if someone comes up behind me. I'm a chronic speeder and typically drive at 90-100mph on the motorway so I'm typically travelling faster than most anyway.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Is this an in-joke I don't get, or are you serious?

Nah I'm serious, I'm a middle lane hogging idiot (when I say hog, I mean I rarely ever leave it unless someone else nearby clearly needs it). It's one of the habits I'd really like to get out of before it stays with me for life, 3+ months into driving it can still be fixed. It's something I picked up from my Dad.
Nah I'm serious, I'm a middle lane hogging idiot (when I say hog, I mean I rarely ever leave it unless someone else nearby clearly needs it). It's one of the habits I'd really like to get out of before it stays with me for life, 3+ months into driving it can still be fixed. It's something I picked up from my Dad.

You're making it quite hard to be critical by being so conciliatory.

But, seriously, you don't need to work on getting out of the habit. You can just decide not to do it. It really is that simple.

I quite often end up sat in a frustrating tailback in the outside lane when I'm trying to get somewhere and I find that, a lot and possibly most of the time, the problem is traceable to someone being in the middle lane when they shouldn't be. You end up pushing people into the outside lane who wouldn't otherwise be there, and slow down the whole motorway. It's really the worst thing you can do for traffic flow, and it's up on my hate list possibly second only to people who keep their lights on full beam.

You might say you move but, if you're moving at the same speed as the left lane, you're still going to take time to unblock the road.

[video="youtube;02yqgqoCkfg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02yqgqoCkfg[/video]

Don't be like these idioting idiots.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
You're making it quite hard to be critical by being so conciliatory.

But, seriously, you don't need to work on getting out of the habit. You can just decide not to do it. It really is that simple.

I quite often end up sat in a frustrating tailback in the outside lane when I'm trying to get somewhere and I find that, a lot and possibly most of the time, the problem is traceable to someone being in the middle lane when they shouldn't be. You end up pushing people into the outside lane who wouldn't otherwise be there, and slow down the whole motorway. It's really the worst thing you can do for traffic flow, and it's up on my hate list possibly second only to people who keep their lights on full beam.

You might say you move but, if you're moving at the same speed as the left lane, you're still going to take time to unblock the road.

Aye, I'm not at the same speed as the left lane in almost every case, I'm a bit faster, but really I should just be overtaking them and moving back after instead of just camping the lane. @RoyalSheepy christ that's bad, I don't even see it this bad on the M4/M25. I still keep left outside of motorways though.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 19
[video="youtube;02yqgqoCkfg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02yqgqoCkfg[/video]

Don't be like these idioting idiots.

That video just enraged me even more

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending