The Student Room Group

IT job

Hi everybody,

Studying BIT and am coming to the end of my placement year as a software developer in JS. I was just wondering instead of getting a part time job in retail next year when im back at uni is there any part time roles that exist that could provide valuable exoerience for somebody wanting to go into a career in IT. Doesnt necessarily need to be programming as im still open to my career being in a less technical role.

Thanks
Niall
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by NiallMcK1996
Hi everybody,

Studying BIT and am coming to the end of my placement year as a software developer in JS. I was just wondering instead of getting a part time job in retail next year when im back at uni is there any part time roles that exist that could provide valuable exoerience for somebody wanting to go into a career in IT. Doesnt necessarily need to be programming as im still open to my career being in a less technical role.

Thanks
Niall

If it doesn't have to be directly related to programming, you could just ask local companies if you could do some admin/IT related work for them, either as 'work experience' or an ad-hoc basis, perhaps if they need something creating for an upcoming event or to maintain something for a while.

Even if they can't offer you anything, they may know someone who could help :smile:

There's also the potential of freelancing but this might be more difficult to guarantee an income and find clients willing to take you on.
Thanks brainzistheword,

I'll get in contact with some local companies and see if they can offer me anything. Will also look into the possibility of freelancing!

Thanks,
Niall

Original post by brainzistheword
If it doesn't have to be directly related to programming, you could just ask local companies if you could do some admin/IT related work for them, either as 'work experience' or an ad-hoc basis, perhaps if they need something creating for an upcoming event or to maintain something for a while.

Even if they can't offer you anything, they may know someone who could help :smile:

There's also the potential of freelancing but this might be more difficult to guarantee an income and find clients willing to take you on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending