The Student Room Group

Do universities still consider students with a bad AS grade but good A’s predictions

I am doing really badly in AS English Language, is it worth taking the exam and risking a bad grade? Or just dropping it completely. I’m doing relatively well in all my other subjects. I’m desperate to be a primary teacher and have lots of experience working in schools.
How many other subjects are you doing
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Liv12345678
I am doing really badly in AS English Language, is it worth taking the exam and risking a bad grade? Or just dropping it completely. I’m doing relatively well in all my other subjects. I’m desperate to be a primary teacher and have lots of experience working in schools.

What are your other subjects?

A lot of schools now only offer 3 AS levels, and/or don't do AS exams, so you could end up at a disadvantage.

However, English language would be a good A-level to have long term as a primary teacher, so I wouldn't give up on it just yet. Is there a way you could pull your grade up?
Reply 3
Original post by SarcAndSpark
What are your other subjects?

A lot of schools now only offer 3 AS levels, and/or don't do AS exams, so you could end up at a disadvantage.

However, English language would be a good A-level to have long term as a primary teacher, so I wouldn't give up on it just yet. Is there a way you could pull your grade up?

I do RE, law and Psychology which I’m taking on to A2.
Reply 4
Original post by Student-95
How many other subjects are you doing

Three RE , law and psychology
Original post by Liv12345678
I do RE, law and Psychology which I’m taking on to A2.

For primary teaching national curriculum subjects are probably going to make you a more competitive applicant for the course and future job applications. Could you drop a different subject and pull your English grade up instead?

Having an English A-level might also help you further your career in the future, e.g. by taking on an English TLR.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending