The Student Room Group

Will I be at a disadvantage?

I am a student in an international school (in an Arab country) that follows the British curriculum and is endorsed by CIE. Unfortunately, the school's performance and standards have drastically fallen in the past couple of years and now all of the teachers in the school are of very low quality. All the educated teachers with a PhD or masters degree have left the school in favor of teaching privately in tuitions (that's the way things are in the Arab world and one of the primary reasons why our education sucks lately.) Anyway, the school has become immensely close minded and refuses to allow students to take any subjects other than the few handpicked ones for which they could find cheap teachers (it's that bad) so I decided that starting next year (my AS year) I am to be home-schooled and learn using online resources and attend some tuitions with the esteemed aforementioned teachers who unfortunately chose to leave the school in pursuit of money.

That unfortunately means that I'll be unable to provide official school transcripts or any other documents other than recommendation letters from those tutors (and that too, it won't be with a letterhead or some official symbol that universities might accept).

Will that put me at a disadvantage to students with potentially worse grades yet with official documents (such as reports or recommendation letters) from a credited school?

I'd like to try and go to uni in the UK or in Canada. Since I'll be an international student, will my VISA/Study Permit application be refused on the basis of lack of school details?

(PS before anyone suggests looking for another school I've done that and unfortunately even the brightest students in other schools (people with cambridge outstanding learners awards in some subjects) were forced to take tuitions in their AS year because the teachers were of such poor standards).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by KnowledgeSeeker_
I am a student in an international school (in an Arab country) that follows the British curriculum and is endorsed by CIE. Unfortunately, the school's performance and standards have drastically fallen in the past couple of years and now all of the teachers in the school are of very low quality. All the educated teachers with a PhD or masters degree have left the school in favor of teaching privately in tuitions (that's the way things are in the Arab world and one of the primary reasons why our education sucks lately.) Anyway, the school has become immensely close minded and refuses to allow students to take any subjects other than the few handpicked ones for which they could find cheap teachers (it's that bad) so I decided that starting next year (my AS year) I am to be home-schooled and learn using online resources and attend some tuitions with the esteemed aforementioned teachers who unfortunately chose to leave the school in pursuit of money.

That unfortunately means that I'll be unable to provide official school transcripts or any other documents other than recommendation letters from those tutors (and that too, it won't be with a letterhead or some official symbol that universities might accept).

Will that put me at a disadvantage to students with potentially worse grades yet with official documents (such as reports or recommendation letters) from a credited school?

I'd like to try and go to uni in the UK or in Canada. Since I'll be an international student, will my VISA/Study Permit application be refused on the basis of lack of school details?

(PS before anyone suggests looking for another school I've done that and unfortunately even the brightest students in other schools (people with cambridge outstanding learners awards in some subjects) were forced to take tuitions in their AS year because the teachers were of such poor standards).

Without transcripts or official letters of recommendation you're unlikely to get accepted or be able to get a visa/start your course. You may want to see what the unis will be happy to accept in their stead and work out what your options are.

Why don't you have access to documents? Ask CIE to send them to you after you complete exams?
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Why don't you have access to documents? Ask CIE to send them to you after you complete exams?

I meant things like school reports, things only authorized schools could provide
I meant things like school reports, things only authorized schools could provide

They don't matter for students in the UK

You will need references though
Original post by alleycat393
Without transcripts or official letters of recommendation you're unlikely to get accepted or be able to get a visa/start your course. You may want to see what the unis will be happy to accept in their stead and work out what your options are.

Any suggestions?

Do you think a letter of recommendation from someone with a PhD in chemistry or physics who used to teach at an esteemed school could satisfy unis?
Any suggestions?

Do you think a letter of recommendation from someone with a PhD in chemistry or physics who used to teach at an esteemed school could satisfy unis?

If they don’t know you and your capability to do undergrad level work no amount of degrees is going to impress.
They don't matter for students in the UK

You will need references though

Do you think if I manage to obtain a reference from a former teacher at an esteemed school who has a PhD in chemistry or a Masters in Physics would satisfy unis?
Original post by alleycat393
If they don’t know you and your capability to do undergrad level work no amount of degrees is going to impress.

No no you misunderstood me, I mean since they might tutor me for some time they'll obviously know me on a personal level and could write a letter of recommendation for me; it's just that it won't be on behalf of an authorized school
Do you think if I manage to obtain a reference from a former teacher at an esteemed school who has a PhD in chemistry or a Masters in Physics would satisfy unis?

He can be your referee.

Basically, you'll need to use UCAS to apply to universities. Most universities want a reference for each subject you study at A Level.

So your chemistry teacher can be your referee and write the opening paragraph about what your like etc he can the write you a reference for chemistry as a subject, but you'd need other teachers for the other subject references.

Email your prospective unis to see if they'll be more lenient with you, getting 3 different references can be hard.

Is it possible that your chemistry teacher can get references from your other subject teachers too?
No no you misunderstood me, I mean since they might tutor me for some time they'll obviously know me on a personal level and could write a letter of recommendation for me; it's just that it won't be on behalf of an authorized school

It should be fine but email the unis and ask. They may want some proof of who he is.

He can be your referee.

Basically, you'll need to use UCAS to apply to universities. Most universities want a reference for each subject you study at A Level.

So your chemistry teacher can be your referee and write the opening paragraph about what your like etc he can the write you a reference for chemistry as a subject, but you'd need other teachers for the other subject references.

Email your prospective unis to see if they'll be more lenient with you, getting 3 different references can be hard.

Is it possible that your chemistry teacher can get references from your other subject teachers too?

You only need one UCAS ref. Yes multiple teachers can contribute but it’s not necessary. Usually it’s the head teacher or the subject teacher for what you’re applying to study who goes down as ref.
He can be your referee.

Actually I know my Physics teacher personally too and he's got a Masters in Physics so I think I should be fine. Thanks for the help, didn't know about the whole referee thing in the UCAS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending