The Student Room Group

EPQ Economics HELP

So I wanted to do an EPQ in the field of economics and I'm pretty behind. I've narrowed down my interest in the recovery of the Japanese economy after WWII(I take history as well, thus my choice here)
However that's really broad and I have no clue on how to narrow it down to a specific question or what field to focus on. I'm like 6 weeks behind where I'm expected to be in terms of progress;slightly panicking. Thanks oin advance for any suggestions or advice.:smile::smile::smile:
Original post by Fragrant_Armpits
So I wanted to do an EPQ in the field of economics and I'm pretty behind. I've narrowed down my interest in the recovery of the Japanese economy after WWII(I take history as well, thus my choice here)
However that's really broad and I have no clue on how to narrow it down to a specific question or what field to focus on. I'm like 6 weeks behind where I'm expected to be in terms of progress;slightly panicking. Thanks oin advance for any suggestions or advice.:smile::smile::smile:

You need to read 3-6 articles on the period so you can get an overview for the period.

Whilst your are reading then jot down ideas and areas of interest.

I has to let you show off the skills of an EPQ, good research, good plan and identification of issues, methodical and objective analysis, insightful evaluation. You will have more idea when you know about the period and events.

Work on several titles or angles and slowly read more then do mini essay plans and id which one has most interest and promise. There will be a zillion on this subject so pick something fresh .

The eventual question has to have some challenge and insight to it.
Original post by 999tigger
You need to read 3-6 articles on the period so you can get an overview for the period.

Whilst your are reading then jot down ideas and areas of interest.

I has to let you show off the skills of an EPQ, good research, good plan and identification of issues, methodical and objective analysis, insightful evaluation. You will have more idea when you know about the period and events.

Work on several titles or angles and slowly read more then do mini essay plans and id which one has most interest and promise. There will be a zillion on this subject so pick something fresh .

The eventual question has to have some challenge and insight to it.

Many thanks for the input. At what stage do I approach a supervisor withe topic at hand? I assume this can only be done after picking a topic. I got the impression that doing mini essay plans to decide to further narrow it down would come after the supervisor bit. I was originally going to something related to the development of African economies (I assume not many talk about this, so yay I guess) butafter some tapping here and there I found it difficult to narrow it down to even a region or country, etc.
Original post by Fragrant_Armpits
Many thanks for the input. At what stage do I approach a supervisor withe topic at hand? I assume this can only be done after picking a topic. I got the impression that doing mini essay plans to decide to further narrow it down would come after the supervisor bit. I was originally going to something related to the development of African economies (I assume not many talk about this, so yay I guess) butafter some tapping here and there I found it difficult to narrow it down to even a region or country, etc.

If you have a 1 page skeleton plan then your supervisor can see. Up to you at what stage. All im saying is you need to have done some preliminary research. You need enough knowledge and confidence to have direction.Your supervisor will only provide min guidance its unlikely they want to do the work for you. There must be plenty of economic history books.
[*]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending