The Student Room Group

Wanna start a mma or boxing but i'm scared?

I wanna start one of the two but i only go to the gym 3/4 times a week however i do core 6 days a week for 30 mins each. I am probably the most scared person if I was ever going to get into a fight, i don't know why tbh as I probably wouldn't do that bad. My biggest fear is that because i'm 17 I will be going up against adults who are a lot stronger than I am, even though I know training with others is probably done by weight class. I'm also afraid of taking my top off but I doubt this will be to much of an issue unless I get into amateur fighting lmao.
Reply 1
Another thing, i wanna stay anon as i'm kinda embarrassed of what I said so please don't move the forum as I can't stay anon in fitness :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I am probably the most scared person if I was ever going to get into a fight

Why do you want to fight then?

Spoiler

Reply 3
Original post by Mighty SSD
Why do you want to fight then?

Spoiler

Because I find doing something I can't do motivates me to do it.
Reply 4
I wanna start one of the two but i only go to the gym 3/4 times a week however i do core 6 days a week for 30 mins each. I am probably the most scared person if I was ever going to get into a fight, i don't know why tbh as I probably wouldn't do that bad. My biggest fear is that because i'm 17 I will be going up against adults who are a lot stronger than I am, even though I know training with others is probably done by weight class. I'm also afraid of taking my top off but I doubt this will be to much of an issue unless I get into amateur fighting lmao.

Why do you are scared to fight? It doesn't matter about your age, its more ability and that goes for all sports, unless its 50+ walking football.
Because I find doing something I can't do motivates me to do it.

Im sure there are less extreme things you could do instead.

You should try

Spoiler

Reply 6
Original post by jdddd
Why do you are scared to fight? It doesn't matter about your age, its more ability and that goes for all sports, unless its 50+ walking football.

I just am tbf, it's my natural reaction for some reason, I guess it's because I never defend myself.
Reply 7
I just am tbf, it's my natural reaction for some reason, I guess it's because I never defend myself.

Just go to a club, you're making excuses for yourself to be honest. When you go to an MMA or Boxing gym you're NEVER and I mean NEVER put in the ring with an adult and never do anything you're uncomfortable in doing. They won't beat you up for it lol, it takes months to get to a stage to spar.
Reply 8
Original post by jdddd
Just go to a club, you're making excuses for yourself to be honest. When you go to an MMA or Boxing gym you're NEVER and I mean NEVER put in the ring with an adult and never do anything you're uncomfortable in doing. They won't beat you up for it lol, it takes months to get to a stage to spar.

Okay thanks for the help I will look into it, I guess I just feel i'm too weak and am making up excuses
Reply 9
Okay thanks for the help I will look into it, I guess I just feel i'm too weak and am making up excuses

Do it mate, you won't regret it in the end, if you do just leave, its not like you have to go like work or something haha

Never fear things or changes.

It's natural to feel scared and nervous, but at the end of the day YOU want to do it to CHANGE YOURSELF and BE BRAVE
Original post by jdddd
Do it mate, you won't regret it in the end, if you do just leave, its not like you have to go like work or something haha

Yeah thats true haha, thanks for the advice
Original post by newmanlife
Never fear things or changes.

It's natural to feel scared and nervous, but at the end of the day YOU want to do it to CHANGE YOURSELF and BE BRAVE

Thats true, i mean I want to do it but I feel that the older I get the main thing I will get out of it is discipline as when your older I highly doubt people want to fight that much...
Thats true, i mean I want to do it but I feel that the older I get the main thing I will get out of it is discipline as when your older I highly doubt people want to fight that much...

Yeah but you never know when you will need to defend yourself...

I've done boxing before and I used to come across middle aged men beating the cRaP out of me. For them, self defence is a way to de-stress and enjoy themselves.

Don't worry about age, you will find that self defence in itself will help your confidence and ego.

Good luck
pussy

I used to go to some Muay Thai classes and the instructors would always let me do things at my own pace. A lot of gyms actually offer a one day taster class you can go to. You can also go in and simply watch as a spectator before deciding to commit to something.

You will never be put against someone who is way above your level. Instructors will normally try to match you with someone around your level. If you are worried you can always do private 1-to-1 lessons with a instructor or go to a beginner's class.

Hey Man!

There's absolutely nothing to be scared of, the idea of MMA/Boxing or any form of Martial Art isn't to hurt each other, it's to learn! The idea of sparring mainly scares a lot of people off but honestly you hardly spar anyway. You'll mainly be learning how to kick, punch, elbows maybe even fancier stuff if you get good at it!

I used to think exactly the same way you did, just jump in the deep end, no one's going to judge you for it, we've all got to start somewhere!

I think your thinking too much into it, which to me sounds like your in two minds whether your really interested in it. Iv'e been doing martial arts for 12 years and iv'e sometimes felt intimidated, especially when it comes to sparring. But the only cure is to do it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending