The Student Room Group

which University to chose

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alishadordi
Glasgow has offered me a hefty scholarship & a second year entry ( provided i get the grades ofcourse )

Kings i know the accommodation is all scattered and not a campus environment , besides London being too expensive , which is sad or else it would surely have been my firm choice.

tending to lean towards:
for firm - Edinburg OR Glasgow
back up - Birgmingham(student community diversity is a pluspoint ) OR runners up from the firm choice

other thing is the course duration 4 years( Scotland ) VS 3 years ( England )

What shd i do ?

If expense is a concern too then I would say that the commuting plus cost of Edinburgh puts it in the same category as London/Kings.

Glasgow firm, Birmingham insurance seems like it would match your priorities well. But there’s no rush to make that official on ucas Track.

Live with your decision for a month. If you’re still happy with it in April then that’s the time to make it official on ucas Track:smile:
Original post by PinkUnicornQueen
I agree I think that the degree aspect is not a big factor (rankings) as you obviously chose these universities based on what you wanted to do. Therefore I believe that it's based on your personal choice because you are going to be living in whichever place you choose for at least a 3-4 years so just research the areas and see which place you can see yourself living and enjoying.

I guess ... though its so scary to make a decision based on website pictures and information u know.

What if i am miserable there and make no friends and am not comfortable ... then it will affect my studies too i feel.

Besides I hear from some of my British Tutors ..Scotland is very very cold. Is it that bad ?
Original post by PinkUnicornQueen
From what's been discussed Glasgow sounds like a good firm choice for you as it has all the things you want (environment etc.). Course duration shouldn't be a problem if they are offering you second-year entry? (or is that taking second year entry into account) but yeah, I think Glasgow is a good firm choice

hmmm ... well lets see how things unfold.Wish me luck :smile:
and thanks so much for discusssing :smile:
Original post by PQ
If expense is a concern too then I would say that the commuting plus cost of Edinburgh puts it in the same category as London/Kings.

Glasgow firm, Birmingham insurance seems like it would match your priorities well. But there’s no rush to make that official on ucas Track.

Live with your decision for a month. If you’re still happy with it in April then that’s the time to make it official on ucas Track:smile:

Problem is Glasgow needs an answer on their Scholarship offer rightaway. Which means I have to make them my firm immediately too.

You see thats what has caused this pressure for deciding.
Problem is Glasgow needs an answer on their Scholarship offer rightaway. Which means I have to make them my firm immediately too.

You see thats what has caused this pressure for deciding.

Ucas rules forbid universities from imposing earlier deadlines than the ucas deadline. I would ask Glasgow to extend the deadline for the scholarship until May or ask if you can apply/accept the scholarship before making Glasgow your firm choice on Track.
Actually, If u look up the temperatures, there isnt much difference from the temperature at Glasgow and London. I am also an international student and was also really concerned with Scottish weather but I visited Glasgow and Edinburgh (and Lancaster - i know its not scotland) december 2017 and it was perfectly fine, sunny and beautiful (I can send u pics if u want).
In conclusion, I am nearly sure Im going to firm Glasgow as I really loved it and scottish people are much nicer than southerners IMO plus the uni is beautiful and reminds me of Hogwarts!!
Original post by PQ
Ucas rules forbid universities from imposing earlier deadlines than the ucas deadline. I would ask Glasgow to extend the deadline for the scholarship until May or ask if you can apply/accept the scholarship before making Glasgow your firm choice on Track.

Oh i didnt know that. Thx so much I will chk with the Uni then.
Original post by tyson69
Actually, If u look up the temperatures, there isnt much difference from the temperature at Glasgow and London. I am also an international student and was also really concerned with Scottish weather but I visited Glasgow and Edinburgh (and Lancaster - i know its not scotland) december 2017 and it was perfectly fine, sunny and beautiful (I can send u pics if u want).
In conclusion, I am nearly sure Im going to firm Glasgow as I really loved it and scottish people are much nicer than southerners IMO plus the uni is beautiful and reminds me of Hogwarts!!

Oh is it ? Thats reassuring to know. Although this winter was pretty rough there from news reports.

What are you planning to study in Glasgow Uni btw ?
Oh is it ? Thats reassuring to know. Although this winter was pretty rough there from news reports.

What are you planning to study in Glasgow Uni btw ?

I was really suprised that it was so sunny and only idk 6°C.
Im going to study economics
Screenshot_20180226-083732-compressed.png.jpeg
Original post by tyson69
Screenshot_20180226-083732-compressed.png.jpeg

thanks wow .. thats a lovely picture and yes weather seems very pleasant too:smile:
thanks wow .. thats a lovely picture and yes weather seems very pleasant too:smile:

haha thanks, i was like you before the trip to scotland, i was 100% sure i was not going to go bc i thought people there would be very cold and the weather horrible but when I actually went there i loved it, there is such a uni vibe bc there is 3 unis in the city and everyone was so nice. I was lost in glasgow uni trying to find the Adam Smith Business School and a random computer science student approached me and asked me if i was lost and took me to the business school even though he had an exam just then and should be studying. i was really suprised bc where i come from (spain) we arent so nice with lost people and it really got to me hahah

I also liked the city of edinburgh, it was nice and walkable plus a very nice christmas market but the uni wasnt as nice as it was divided and i really want a campus feel and glasgow has that.

PS, I also visited King's College last summer (and other unis in the south), Kings was my favourite uni and i really liked it but the Stramford Accomodation (I think its called like that) was rubbish and £200 a week so if u can afford it go for it but London has a fame of making people miserable..

good luckk with everything and i hope u make the right decision
Original post by tyson69
haha thanks, i was like you before the trip to scotland, i was 100% sure i was not going to go bc i thought people there would be very cold and the weather horrible but when I actually went there i loved it, there is such a uni vibe bc there is 3 unis in the city and everyone was so nice. I was lost in glasgow uni trying to find the Adam Smith Business School and a random computer science student approached me and asked me if i was lost and took me to the business school even though he had an exam just then and should be studying. i was really suprised bc where i come from (spain) we arent so nice with lost people and it really got to me hahah

I also liked the city of edinburgh, it was nice and walkable plus a very nice christmas market but the uni wasnt as nice as it was divided and i really want a campus feel and glasgow has that.

PS, I also visited King's College last summer (and other unis in the south), Kings was my favourite uni and i really liked it but the Stramford Accomodation (I think its called like that) was rubbish and £200 a week so if u can afford it go for it but London has a fame of making people miserable..

good luckk with everything and i hope u make the right decision

Thank You Tyson69 !
that was such good info there. all the best to you too.
hmmm ... well lets see how things unfold.Wish me luck :smile:
and thanks so much for discusssing :smile:

Good luck! Your welcome :smile:
Hi, don't know if you have already decided but as for Durham their biological and nat sci departments are quite good. I wouldn't say they have the same rep as other places (vs humanities courses), but I wouldn't discount them entirely. It's a very compact city, rent is cheap. It's easy to find a place that's 15-20min walk from the city centre for 65 per week including bills. The weather is also nice; it snows and can be cold (the wind!) it never rains (it rains more in Oxfordshire from experience). :smile:

But all of your choices are great really; you won't stray far with any of them. :smile:

How much is the Glasgow scholarship offer?
thanks - but u see thats the whole issue i dont know the feel of any of these places . I am an overseas student and never been to the UK.
I cannot attend any of these open days as i have School going on and Mocks etc happening :frown:

Oh right- well academically durham and kings i think are the best sorry i cant be of more help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending