The Student Room Group

PhD funding help!

I have the opportunity to start a partially funded PhD in September. The university will pay the tuition fees however there is no stipend for living costs. Can I still apply for PhD loan as it's not funded by the research council or another government agency?? Any advice would be very much appreciated
Original post by Gnelson81
I have the opportunity to start a partially funded PhD in September. The university will pay the tuition fees however there is no stipend for living costs. Can I still apply for PhD loan as it's not funded by the research council or another government agency?? Any advice would be very much appreciated

Hi Gnelson81,

Based on the information you have given, you can apply for a PhD loan, the applications are not available yet and should be available in June 2018.
Reply 2
Thanks for that... if I am asked to start the PhD in May 2018 will I still be eligible??
Thanks for that... if I am asked to start the PhD in May 2018 will I still be eligible??

Hi Gnelson81,

To advise you better can I ask you a question about the partial funding you are receiving, who is providing it?

Thanks Rona

Hi Gnelson81,

From academic year 2018/19, we will be offering loan support of up to £25,000 for students who will be attending a Postgraduate Doctoral (PGD) degree course.

You would not be eligible if the course starts in May 2018.

To be eligible the course would need start after August, 1 2018.

Only new students from academic year 2018/19 may be eligible to apply for the loan.

Thanks Rona
Reply 5
The university is funding it
The university is funding it

Hi Gnelson81,

You will be pleased to know that any support from the university will not prevent you from being eligible to apply.

It is expected that students will be able to apply for PGD support from June 2018.

Students who are in receipt of any of the following will not be eligible to receive a PGD loan:

Research Council (RC) Studentship

Social work bursary

NHS bursary

Thanks Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending