The Student Room Group

Subject Choices

Hi,

I'm joining the IB curriculum in August and am choosing subjects. I am south african and wanting to study medicine:
I would appreciate some advice on specific subjects I need to take.

(I understand my HL need to be biology and chemistry)

Kind regards
Keirra M
HL Bio Chem and Math is what most future med students in my batch are learning. SL Psychology is reccommended and of course then there are languages but you should choose those based upon your first and second languages.

(You could also take HL Psych and SL Math - but DON'T take studies math at all)
Reply 2
Original post by Keirra M
Hi,

I'm joining the IB curriculum in August and am choosing subjects. I am south african and wanting to study medicine:
I would appreciate some advice on specific subjects I need to take.

(I understand my HL need to be biology and chemistry)

Kind regards
Keirra M

It all depends on where you want to apply. I recently applied for medicine in the UK, and from what I've seen most if not all unis want HL Bio and Chem and English at a 5 at SL, but your third HL can be anything. For example, mine is German B.
I want to study medicine and am taking HL bio, chemistry and german B and SL english lit and lang, maths studies and geography.

I took the subject I found easiest as my third HL (German) which I advise as you will want to be concentrating on your other HL more. Medicine have no english requirements and although english is one of my strongest subjects (and I miss doing more literature) I took the easier option as for me I need as many points as possible. The prestigious unis care about maths so do your research, but the unis I like (or I think I have a higher chance of getting into) accept studies and believe me it is far far easier. I started on maths SL and had to put the same amount of work in as for my HL which just wasn't sustainable for me. Geography I despise as its all human no physical so I really wish I'd looked into Soc Anth of Phycology. Plenty of people at my school every year get into medicine with Math studies (but obviously not into oxbridge).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending